News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Magnetic subdermals

Started by Faust, March 16, 2008, 02:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20060401.html

allows a person to feel a sensation in their fingertips when they are passing over something ferromagnetic.
Would love to try this out.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Jasper

Dunno about that.  If I was going to get into body modification it'd be for more useful things.

Like a second set of mechanical arms for opening pickle jars.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

I respect that the guy's interested in pioneering the apotheosis of biology as we know it, but I can't say I envy his magnet fingers and blood bruises from opening jars.

Richter

It's an intriguing idea, but I'm not certain of the real use.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Voodoo Chile

The problems far outweigh the benefits. While they would make a handy stud detector and live wire detector for an electrician it doesn't make up for the horrors of getting them removed.

I suppose no matter how you would do it the body would invariably break down and push out any implant like that. But I wonder how effective a magnitised mesh put under the fingertip would be and whether it would cause more or less bruising as opposed to one large lump of magnet.
If I was witty, I'm sure you'd be laughing by now.

Faust

a magnetic mesh would act like a subdermal anchor, the flesh might heal through the gaps making it impossible to ever get out.
People who get the anchors never really have a problem with them, if they heal. So it would probably be good for some cases, and shit for a load of others.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Richter

Also:  walk into any kind of radio / microwave field and you will suddenly have a heating element under your skin.  A field that strong might just cook you outright though, so it could be a handy warning.
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

GlompChomp

Isn't it possible to have a magnet that doesn't require an implant to feel electromagnetic fields? Or does it need to be under the skin?
widdly scuds

I stretch my penis in a saltwater toffee maker every Tuesday and Saturday.

Richter

Under the skin (of a fingertip specifically) palces it near a large cluster of preexisting nerves.  A magnetized nipple (or other sensitive body part :fap:) ring or barbell could be used the same, in theory, but the fingertips are a little more predisposed to use as a sensory organ.

A magnetic ring could be a non surgical, non genital, middle ground, but even then, some of the fine sensation would be lost. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What about magnetic stick-ons?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Loki

I cant wait until I can get cybernetic implants.  Until then, I'll stick with normal metal.
This is cool as hell.  Usefulness/ uselesness aside, the dude has MAGNET HANDS!  How freakin sweet is that?!

Quote from: Voodoo Chile on March 17, 2008, 01:59:13 AM
The problems far outweigh the benefits. While they would make a handy stud detector and live wire detector for an electrician it doesn't make up for the horrors of getting them removed.

I suppose no matter how you would do it the body would invariably break down and push out any implant like that. But I wonder how effective a magnitised mesh put under the fingertip would be and whether it would cause more or less bruising as opposed to one large lump of magnet.

Problems outweighing the benifits?  I dont think you can really say that.  That depends on the opinion of the implantee.  People could tell me my piercings benifits are outweighed by problems, and I would disagree.

I think a mesh would work better though.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hee hee hee I almost died of a piercing once. But it turned out ok in the end.

Doktor Loki

Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

A week after getting a piercing, I unexpectedly and rather unprecedentedly hemorrhaged from it and lost kind of a surprising amount of blood. There was a lot of mess and drama and trying to get me to go to the emergency room, which I refused to do, mostly because at the time my stepfather was dying of brain cancer and my sister was in town for that, staying with me and I didn't want to upset her any more (totally irrational, but hey) so eventually I got the bleeding stopped and went to sleep with an icepack on me, and then an hour later (to my good fortune) my friend called to check on me and it woke me up and I discovered that I was hemorrhaging again and lying in a stupendous puddle of blood. Eventually got the bleeding stopped, went to the doctor the next day. Long story short, I lost a couple of pints and it took a while to recover but in the end everything was OK. 

Lesson learned from this: I am an anatomical freak.

The awesome thing (inasmuch as awesomeness happened) is that when it happened I was driving a car full of friends to a pirate party, and we were all dressed as pirates.