News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Magnetic subdermals

Started by Faust, March 16, 2008, 02:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Loki

Give a nice effect to the pirate effect.

Mind if I ask what piercing it was?  Not your septum I presume?
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Loki

Ah.  Sorry to bust you out like that, if you're the type that doesnt like to speak on that sort of thing.

That would fucking suck to have that bleeding like that.

But :mittens: to you for having one.  Makes me almost jealous.  I want that kind of work (of course, the male equivalent), but I'm not comfortable with a piercer doing it.  Oh well, might just have to get some needles and do some work myself.

This threads gotten pretty far off topic.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Voodoo Chile

Quote from: Doktor Loki on March 17, 2008, 09:53:36 PM
I cant wait until I can get cybernetic implants.  Until then, I'll stick with normal metal.
This is cool as hell.  Usefulness/ uselesness aside, the dude has MAGNET HANDS!  How freakin sweet is that?!

Quote from: Voodoo Chile on March 17, 2008, 01:59:13 AM
The problems far outweigh the benefits. While they would make a handy stud detector and live wire detector for an electrician it doesn't make up for the horrors of getting them removed.

I suppose no matter how you would do it the body would invariably break down and push out any implant like that. But I wonder how effective a magnitised mesh put under the fingertip would be and whether it would cause more or less bruising as opposed to one large lump of magnet.

Problems outweighing the benifits?  I dont think you can really say that.  That depends on the opinion of the implantee.  People could tell me my piercings benifits are outweighed by problems, and I would disagree.

I think a mesh would work better though.

I suppose you're right, Haven't got a clue as to problem/benefit ratio but I wouldn't get one unless a method of tricking the immune system into ignoreing the implant or to have an implant which would not introduce infection/carcinogeans.

Not a piercee or body modder for aestetic value in anyway, But stuff like this if it is usefull i'd go for it.

Nigel, That sounds damn bad, one more horror story to putting a foreign metal object in your body. And as for anatomical freak,Ask Faust about my ability to bend my fingers. Everybody has some sort of messed up anatomy,It just sucks when it involves the lost of pints of blood.
If I was witty, I'm sure you'd be laughing by now.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks guys! Hopefully it won't deter anyone from getting that done, I really don't think that happens to anyone ever, it was just some completely weird thing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I can only imagine what would happen if you encountered one of those super-magnets, or got too close to an MRI.

::pictures the implants ripping out of the skin, in a very freaky Cronenberg-like way::

Richter

Fucking OW.  :x

It'd be a damn good scene in a movie, though.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Golden Applesauce

Or if you actually get put through an MRI?  I doubt MRI technicians are trained to check for magnets underneath you skin before scanning.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

LMNO

Well, the do ask you to remove all piercings, and ask about things like plates, screws, et al.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

They explain it pretty thoroughly, actually, and if you're dumb enough to go through an MRI with magnetic implants after they ask you all the questions and explain why they're asking, and have you sign the disclaimer about metal filings in your eyes, I suppose you deserve to get your fingertips ripped off.

Jasper

I'm pretty sure most metallic implants are nonmagnetic just for that reason.  Like metal fillings?  Nonmagnetic.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That makes sense, like why they replaced most surgical steel parts with titanium parts.

Triple Zero

i have to say, when i read the article about the magnetic thingy in the finger, i really liked the idea of attaining an extra "sense" like that.

even if it breaks down and is impractical. they should solve that.

cause it's pretty awesome to be able to feel electric currents.

at the very least you've got one up on all those "aura" and "energy" sensitive psychic ppl.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Yeah, seriously.  I wish it was developed to use body heat powered electromagnets that you can deactivate when handling electronics and charge cards.  With better durability.  Then it'd be something I would consider.

Cainad (dec.)

The flaw in the design, as I see it, is in part the shape of the magnet. It's a disc, meaning it has edges, and the thinnest part of the silicone coating was right on those edges. A better design might be to use a spherical or elliptical magnet.