News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Brass etching and electroplating

Started by Faust, March 20, 2008, 08:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

http://steampunkworkshop.com/electroetch.shtml
Really cool and cheap way to put a pattern onto brass.
Gonna try this out on monday when I can get copper sulphate solution from the college.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh my god, that is so cool and I already have all the stuff! SWEET!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

I'm kinda worried about what kinda current source to use, be sure to post pics when you try it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm going to use the rectifier I bought for electroforming:

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

I'm kinda worried about using a car battery. I might actually just do the whole thing in the college.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Schweet, let me know how that goes! Also pics pls.

Faust

Its fucking hard to get brass in cork  :cry:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Faust on March 28, 2008, 07:12:20 PM
Its fucking hard to get brass in cork  :cry:

Have you looked in the thrift shops and such?  You may not be able to get plates, but can do this on other brass objects right?

Faust

Sorry yes, Cork, not cork.

I wanted thin sheets that I could shape.
I could go mugging brass bands. I have a few places left to check but it looks like I am gonna have to order. (or add stuff to the cit orders and hope no one wonders why they got a load of brass for the workshop)

LMNO

Copper is currently incredibly expensive.  Around Boston, people are breaking into houses to steal copper wiring and such.

Cainad (dec.)

In Hawaii, a lot of buildings have copper gutters.

In other words, a lot of buildings have bundles of cash strapped on their roofs.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on March 28, 2008, 09:15:54 PM
Copper is currently incredibly expensive.  Around Boston, people are breaking into houses to steal copper wiring and such.

Same here in STL.  Anywhere there are empty buildings or ones being renovated, those areas are heavily patrolled!  Whoever buys the copper is in some serious shit as well!!!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My local hardware store has brass sheet. If you need, I can buy some and mail it to you.