News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

MMO GASM

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, March 22, 2008, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auguste

There're a fuckload of "role-play intensive" MUDs.  Actually, every third MUD seems to demand role-play.

Cramulus

Yeah, but you probably won't be able to attract a lot of people to a MUD. Need something flashier.

Also, MUDs are the devil.

Auguste

Well, the only other thing that comes to mind is Wurm Online, which I mentioned before.  Rather than a traditional MMORPG, it's an MMO fantasy simulation in which you can build houses, roads, dig mines, build cities, so on and so forth.  As such, some people take it very seriously.

Only problem with that is the people that take it seriously are all on the strictly no-grieving server (Home) and everyone else is on the PK server (Wilderness).  There's no point in trying to destroy other peoples' work, but it might be fun to build a Discordian theme park, or something equally creative.  I think it'd be a great way to piss off the role-players, but it'll take time and effort to build it.

There's no mandatory subscription, but it may come in handy.  The only other problem I can see with this is that you constantly need to eat or your actios will take longer and longer to perform, and it takes ages to cook food.  We could buy it, however.

nostalgicBadger

Would there be any point in mentioning Second Life?

Granted, Second Life basically trolls itself, but a lot of the scripting work I do lately is in Second Life, so I could contribute to amusing things happening.
meh.

Auguste

Second Life could be a good idea, but there isn't much I can say about it, as I've never played it.  However, when I thought of Second Life, I immediately thought of furries for some reason, and then Furcadia, which as far as I know, is practically the same, except with furries and angsty teens cybering.  If anybody can figure out how to make their own maps in it, I think it could be fun to hit.

nostalgicBadger

Before I realized that people who liked to roleplay animals tend to like to roleplay having sex as animals, I think I played Furcadia briefly when it came out. The game I never got since it didn't have a combat system =( but I think I did used to make and script maps and I might have had a bot that I could place in doorways and he would only move when i told him to.

Good times.

People still play that though? That must have been ten years ago.
meh.

Auguste

Yeah, likewise.  I was thouroughly disturbed by the adults-only area.  It was full of Pagans, wannabe-vampires and cybering.

I just installed it (and I think I need to slit my wrists) and created a character.  It's just like I remember it.  I think it'd be good to hit.  I might try making some maps in it later on.  It seems to work flawlessly in Wine.

Making Furcadia bots is a pretty good idea.  I think it'd be fun to make a few to block high-traffic maps.  Until they get banned from them. :|

Auguste

All the memories are returning.  I think Furcadia's perfect.  There are shitloads of roleplayers spread across hundreds of user-created "dreams".  Most of which I'm hoping won't have anybody to kick you out.  And we could create our own Discordian Themepark.  :kingmeh:

nostalgicBadger

That's true. I forgot, can multiple people work on one dream? I'm kind of busy right now working a full time job, coming home and programming and writing record reviews, so my only leisure is an hour a night either of Mabinogi or watching House,
but if people are behind this, I'm sure I could pick up the scripting language again. Wasn't it called dreamspeak or something?
meh.

Auguste

I think the language is 'DragonSpeak'.  I have no idea how many people can work on a dream at once.  I never tried to make one before.  I don't have a lot of free time either, but I might try writing some DragonSpeak, see how far I can get.

Nast

You are brave, brave souls.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

nostalgicBadger

So I'm looking at the syntax for dragonspeak and...
OK, this doesn't even qualify in my mind as scripting.
This is basically English. It's also extraordinarily limiting. Basically what you can do in DragonSpeak is:

Animate ( move ) objects
Do the above on a timer
Make teleporters
Make steps ( basically teleporters )
Make readable signs

I don't know. Let's just troll them.
What if we each made a character that looks exactly the same, or we could use bots, and act like an occupying army? We could march in one day and position people in all of the doorways and.. I don't know, just generally screw with people for a while.
Then we all leave.
meh.

Auguste

That sounds good.  I don't know when I'll have time though.  So far I have a cow covered in all kinds of absurd colours named 'Gaylord'.  If time permits, later I'll make another character and cyber a few people BloodNinja style.

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Auguste

Very nice.

I think I remember reading something about the SA goons in Wurm Online too, but my memory sucks.  I know the Facepunchers are there though.