News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

THUD

Started by Triple Zero, March 22, 2008, 04:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

ok, so obviously we need some sort of standardized timezoneless time measurement thing for coordinating our global online efforts.

i propose to name it

The Hours of Universal Discord

or

Time H-something Universal Discord

or whatever, so it spells out to THUD, which is a discordian word, and also can nicely replace the ticking of seconds with thudding. interpretation of the acronym is open for suggestions.

so, the system. a few thoughts:

1. i don't care where the zero/dateline is.

2. it's gotta be very easy to relate with your local time, because otherwise someone will say "April 1st, 23THUD" and you still don't know what time that is.

3. it's gotta be the same for everyone all over the world.

personally this would suggest to me a 24 hour time notation without daylight savings, centered on some arbitrary dateline (say 23 degrees west of Greenwich?). the minutes i don't care about, if you want 100, 60 or 73 in one hour, as long as we agree on something.

another, slightly geekier possibility is to base it off UNIX timestamps, which is the number of seconds since January 1 1970, 0:00 see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

on the other hand, i just read about leap seconds, WHAT THE FUCK LEAP SECONDS

really.

obviously we're not the first people to muse about things like this, so we might as well steal something:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Time_scales

anybody got any brilliant ideas?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Verbal Mike

Couldn't we, umm, just use UTC? It's already the standard.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Triple Zero

okay.

pick a standard, ANY standard :D
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cramulus

I already use Discordian Eternal Time... it's 5:00.

http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia/discordian_holydays.html (see: Daytime)

Reginald Ret

I think it would be easier to use the currently and commonly accepted system, therefore i propose using this new system i just came up with:

divide the day into three hours and call them:
- Hangover (when the sun isn't yet straight above your throbbing head(and that shiny bastard is waaay too bright anyway));
- Lunch (when the sun is sort of above you and the headache is over) and
- Beertime (when you already ate that disgustingly hairy thing that was sold as a hotdog, but haven't regurgitated it yet)

and: tihi! you want discordians to not only use but create(!) a standardized thingy for improving coordination... seriously, what were you thinking...? though the idea of stealing someone else's idea does sound tempting...
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

you speak great troofs, except for the fact that some of us are trying to coordinate stuff cross-timezone here, for O:MF.

it will be at 5:00, which is just about between lunch and beertime for your timezone. better move beertime a bit earlier for that one, though.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: revidc on April 07, 2008, 05:04:50 AM
QuoteI already use Discordian Eternal Time... it's 5:00.

And there was me thinking that it was 3am ...
:mrgreen: This place needs more obtuse KLF references.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Akara

Discordian time should be based on latitude rather than longitude... The Equator is the equivalent of GMT, and the poles shall be single dots of  no time rather than all time.  :musak:
It's like a palsy victim doing brain surgery with a pipe wrench.

Jasper

We could use relative terms, eg; Oh God Where Am I O'Clock for when you wake up, etc.

LMNO

I think that time should be the entire live recording of Peter Frampton's "Do you Feel Like We Do?"

Woke up this morning
With a wine glass in my hand.
Whose wine?  What wine?
Where the hell did I dine?

Must've been a dream,
I don't believe where I've been.
C'mon! Let's do it again!

Jasper

That's basically perfect.

LMNO

Plus, it has a vocoder.

Triple Zero

wait, what? huH?

*goes to download*

AFK

I think, technically, it's a voice-Wah, but you'll probably like it anyway.   :D
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Carrier wave, modulator signal.

Vocoder.