News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

BioGass: you won't have to give up the car!

Started by Richter, March 28, 2008, 07:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on April 05, 2008, 11:13:36 PM
nobody who is in favor of wind farms lives within 30 miles of one.

ECH,
has seen an entire town go all "John Brown" over those things

I think they're pretty.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on April 05, 2008, 11:13:36 PM
nobody who is in favor of wind farms lives within 30 miles of one.

come visit the netherlands some time.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

really?

they put one up on Mars Hill up in The County and there was immediate and instant hatred. Several other planned sites have been ixnayed since then. I hear they're not very popular off the Mass coast either.

The obvious solution in this part of the world is tidal power. We get 30+ foot tides in some places, and "underwater windmills" would be relatively inexpensive and fairly low-impact on the environment. I've been preaching this for years, but thankfully the retards who run this state are actually beginning to catch on and have recently approved funding for R&D and instruction in tidal power engineering at MMA.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

some people call it "horizon pollution", others think they are pretty:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=windmolens

(the ones i'm referring to are of course the big white ones with two or three blades, not the oldskool four-bladed wooden ones used for milling grain and stuff, because everybody likes those, as they are considered dutch cultural monuments nowadays)

personally, i think they look damn cool, and really sort of symbolize renewable energy in a way.

also, 30 miles is quite a lot for a small but densely populated country like the netherlands, i'm pretty sure there are windmills within 30 miles of my city, that doesn't mean i see them every day though :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like them:

Also I think it's funny how people oppose them because they're not PRETTY, because obviously PRETTY counts for more than CLEAN AND SAFE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also most of the fuckers who complain about them live in these:

So FUCK 'EM.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The windfarm rooint the view from mah subdivision.
        /

:mullet:

Cainad (dec.)

B_M_W

The reason a large windfarm didn't go through around here was because people were afraid of effects on migratory birds. The plans had set the farm up near Horicon marsh, which happens to be the worlds largest cattail marsh and one of the major stopover points for migratory waterfowl in the Mississippi flyway. In addition, theres a huge colony of bats nearby. In other words, environmental protest shut down what was otherwise environmentally viable.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Right, and of course the "effects on migratory birds" claim turns out to be completely unfounded in reality with absolutely no research or evidence to indicate that it even MIGHT POSSIBLY be factual. Pure propaganda.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on April 06, 2008, 07:00:14 PM
Also most of the fuckers who complain about them live in these:

So FUCK 'EM.

we don't have those in Maine. these are complaints from rural people who have a long history of land conservation and stewardship of renewable resources. Hell, 90% of our state is still forested. So we're not the suburban yahoos you have an issue with.

though I gotta admit, I don't agree with your view that just because someone lives in a suburban subdivision, their concerns about views and/or the property values that are HUGELY affected by the presence or absence of said views are somehow invalidated.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't see how windfarms would be viable in a heavily forested area anyway... makes no sense.

My point wasn't that their opinions don't count because they live in ugly subdivisions, my point is that the beautiful deserts of California are rapidly being gobbled up by UGLY FUCKING SUBDIVISIONS which ruin the natural beauty far more than erecting a bunch of windmills, and the irony is that it's the SUV-driving residents of the hideous goddamn nature-wrecking McMansion-infested subdivisions who don't want their pretty desert view wrecked by windmills.

Drive around outside of Sacramento sometime and you'll see what I mean.

Actually, there's no reason to go to Sacramento, ever, so don't.

B_M_W

Quote from: Nigel on April 06, 2008, 08:36:33 PM
Right, and of course the "effects on migratory birds" claim turns out to be completely unfounded in reality with absolutely no research or evidence to indicate that it even MIGHT POSSIBLY be factual. Pure propaganda.

Not necessarily.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: B_M_W on April 07, 2008, 01:44:08 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 06, 2008, 08:36:33 PM

Not necessarily.

I've looked for a basis in fact, because I believed it originally. Find me the studies.