News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

The Joy and Zen that is Free Lunch

Started by AFK, April 04, 2008, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

My friends, is there nothing sweeter and finer than Free Lunch? 

You've been hard at work, slaving away at something that seems meaningless and trivial, yet you do it so you can put supper on the table.  Your boss drops by and says, "Can I take you to lunch?' 

In a joyous clarion, in union, you and your co-workers stand, salute, and retort "Sure."  Somehow a Turkey Club sandwhich is more savory when it is on the company's dime.

Along the same lines, the free Continental Breakfast.  Perhaps you are at an all-day training, convention, something.  You enter, get your name tag, sign-in, etc., you walk into the room, and there under almost a spot-light is the free Coffee and Pastries.  You know you are going to be sitting in a stiff, uncomfortable chair, taking in some drivel that you will never remember, but Joy of Joys, you have a seemingly endless supply of Joe and Danishes.  It's utter crap, and you know it is probably eating holes in your stomach lining, but that you don't have to plunk down some greenbacks, makes it palatable and succulent. 

Yes, my friends, Free Lunch is truly one of life's few wonders and joys.  Savor it when it comes your way.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love it!

I have a saying; "There's a big difference between donuts, and FREE donuts".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

Can I steal the OP for trolling libertarians?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

AFK

by all means. "Free Lunch" is free. 

Jasper

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

As much as I like Heinlein, I would like fucking him in the ass even more.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Quote from: Nigel on April 17, 2008, 09:33:41 AM
As much as I like Heinlein, I would like fucking him in the ass even more.

:potd:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

nostalgicBadger

Somehow this takes me back to Macroeconomics and how much time I spent in that class devising crazy scenarios involving robots and pizzas.
meh.

AFK

The best plans laid were laid in macroeconomics courses. 

Richter

RWHN:  Your teaching have served me well.
At my buddy's graduation yesterday, we walked right into the private breakfast at the university president's house, and partook of some righteously good crepe and omelet while chatting people up. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

AFK

The great Goddess Butterworth compels me to spread the word. 

Jenne

Darth Cupcake

Oh man, free breakfast is awesome.

Although local burrito place is running a promo, cause they have to raise prices $0.25, if you buy a burrito today or tomorrow, then return on Friday with the receipt from this burrito, you get a free burrito! YAY!

It's not QUITE a free lunch, more like half price lunch, but I'll take what I can get.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Jasper

The heart of TANSTAAFL (apologies mentioning it ITT) is that even with no-charge "freebies" there is a tacit cost, usually a string attached or some condition that serves someone else.

Far from refuting RWHN's joy, Free Lunch is rarer than you may think and therefore is all the more beautiful when it happens.

AFK

Oh sure, most of the places I go it's, "We're only giving you free food because otherwise there is no fucking way you'd even bother THINKING about coming to our training that is 100 miles from your office."

I mean, most of the time, I'm compelled to go to these things, and if there is any doubt of there being free food I hit the local Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, or whatever is around.  I had to do that this morning because my agency is broke and can't afford to cater my trainings.