News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Discordianism to Me

Started by Churro the Viscous, April 06, 2008, 06:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

We'd need to do some heavy research.

When I get back to Uni, I'll see how many academic papers on mythology from various parts of the world I can steal.  After that, it would possibly be an idea to look towards rebellious, crazy and avant-garde figures in the history of that country too, and try to fit them around a Discordian style message.

e

Tickster gods and subversion, here we come!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on April 07, 2008, 08:21:06 PM

When I get back to Uni, I'll see how many academic papers on mythology from various parts of the world I can steal.  After that, it would possibly be an idea to look towards rebellious, crazy and avant-garde figures in the history of that country too, and try to fit them around a Discordian style message.

Cain, do you recall any Eastern stuff from Trickster Makes the World? I don't have it here at the office and can't remember if there was anything Far Eastern in it.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

e

When I get back to Uni, I'll see how many academic papers on mythology from various parts of the world I can steal.

That reminds me, since I don't think it's come up yet:
I'm a librarian at a university.  I can easily grab articles on world mythology and trickster gods, and all sorts of odd things.  Electronic PDF type things, yet.

To edit and clarify this:

Electronic articles from scholarly journals and periodicals, I can usually get as downloadable PDFs.  It depends on whether or not this university or my grad school (I still have access to their databases) has the journal in their collection.  Most of the e-book collections are in some shit-tastic PDF-ripoff format that's only readable online and can't be downloaded short of copy-pasting every single page one at a time.  Which I suppose I can do if there's a page you *really* want to read, but no more than that if only because I enjoy doing things other than copy-pasting out of online books with my time.   :lol:

Let me know article titles, etc. or just a subject area and I can dredge up a ton of academic and scholarly stuff, most likely.

For everything else, there's mastercard Wikipedia.

Cain

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 07, 2008, 09:05:13 PM

Cain, do you recall any Eastern stuff from Trickster Makes the World? I don't have it here at the office and can't remember if there was anything Far Eastern in it.That reminds me, since I don't think it's come up yet:

There was some about Monkey, of the Taoist tradition, but little else.

QuoteThat reminds me, since I don't think it's come up yet:
I'm a librarian at a university.  I can easily grab articles on world mythology and trickster gods, and all sorts of odd things.  Electronic PDF type things, yet.

Swoteness.  I cant think of too many, I have access to JSTOR (or will do again from next Monday) and I'll see if I can find some interesting authors or concepts.

e

JSTOR is quite good as a general resource.  I'm not sure how many mythology-based article indexes (indeces!) there are online, since most of them deal with more "practical" matters like medicine, business, math, "library science" etc.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 07, 2008, 09:05:13 PM

Cain, do you recall any Eastern stuff from Trickster Makes the World? I don't have it here at the office and can't remember if there was anything Far Eastern in it.

Rat, I'm sorry, but I think that entire book was "researched" on the Internet. As a piece of speculative entertainment, it was fun, but as a work of scholarship it was severely, um, handicapped.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TheStripèdOne on April 07, 2008, 08:49:20 PM
Tickster gods and subversion, here we come!

hee hee you said "Tickster"!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

e

Tickster gods are uh... an important part of many um... tribal mythic er... stories and uh... play  :oops:

Cain

Tickster gods suck bad blood away from the tribe.  Like leeches, only supernatural.

And they are hard to get rid of, and can only really be removed via fire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And they spread a type of Lyme disease called "AIDS".

LMNO

Why has no one said "SPOON!" yet?

e

A good jumping off point for this, at least from the point of (ahem) trickster gods: wikipedia

I don't think my university has many good databases on mythology.  The larger part are on incredibly dull subjects like "Occupational Therapy" (whatever that is) or business.  Searching should be easier, though, once learning more about subversive myths and mythological figures.

Sad part is I'm now torn between this and wanting to go in and fix up all the wiki articles on Spenser's Fairie Queene...   </nerd>

Requia ☣

I might be able to get ahold of some good stuff too if anybody here wants it, the local university library has a fairly extensive mythology section and probably has a fair bit of the journals, and as long as whatever you want isn't in rare collections I can get photocopies and scan/mail em later(there's a cost for this of course, so don't get greedy).  Rare collections has to be copied by hand, so whatever you want had better be *really* good (assuming I can even get into rare collections).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

e

According to some article I was reading, the book "Mythologies" (worldcat link to find in libraries near you: http://worldcat.org/oclc/22346848&tab=holdings ) has a lot of "subversive and exotic" mythological tales in it.  I'll probably check it out tomorrow and remember to take my library card with me in case it looks good.