News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Rev Roger, MSY28: The Politics of Saturday Night

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 08, 2008, 03:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Have you ever wondered why the news always tells you horror stories?  Have you ever wondered why there seems to be more school shootings, random snipers, and general mayhem?  Why, if I was to take the news at face value, I'd assume that everyone in The City would be dead already.

It's fairly obvious, of course.  Bad News sells stories.

But the thing to remember, of course, is that the media lies.  I don't mean that the horrible things they tell you about don't happen, it's just that that's all they tell you about.

If that weren't the case, then explain why just last night I had a very enjoyable evening out in sleazy taverns with my wife, along with Coffee Bean and his wife(?)?  The fact is, and the one thing the media (and, not-so-coincidentally, the "government") don't want you to think about is this:  things just aren't that bad.

I've always liked bars.  True, they are horrible places that are in the business of catering to social ills and liver disease, but they are also honest places.  People may come in acting like someone else, but after 3 hours of drinking, The Truth becomes apparent.  In fact, I assert that it really isn't possible to actually know someone until you've seen them half in the bag.

This is, obviously, one of the reasons I don't drink.  Besides, I had enough fun watching the other three getting messed up and threatening insurance salesmen. The salesmen had it coming, and I have long since learned not to interfere when my wife goes nuts.  Hell, she beat up the midget at our wedding.  Horrible, horrible.  To this day, she still refers to midgets as "human hacky sacks".  In the end, no salesmen were harmed (with the slight exception of an educational fist in the kidneys of the loud one), and we shortly afterward went out to breakfast (the cool 2:30AM kind).

And if it's possible to have that kind of fun on a Sunday night, let alone Saturday, then just maybe things aren't  all that bad, are they?  There is a term that I have lifted from an old Mel Gibson movie, Air America..."The politics of Saturday night".  You can gauge the health of a culture by how much fun everyone has on Saturday night.

Just think about it for a moment...Saudi Arabia probably has a lousy Saturday night.  Hell, in 1890s America, Saturday night consisted of the working man falling into an exhausted coma following 6 twelve hour days at the widget factory, for less pay than it took to keep him alive ("I owe my soul to the company store", etc).  Doesn't sound healthy, does it?  And that implies that things have actually gotten better with time, doesn't it?

And this is part of what fuels my rage with the monkeys that I share a country with.  The end result of all the crappy legislation and flirtations with totalitarianism that our nation has been indulging in is the death of Saturday night, should we be so foolish to allow things to go that far.

The good news is that while Americans tend to get all worked up over things (Jesus, Terrorism, communists, etc), they always eventually get tired of being puritanical or terrified, and then they want to go out and have fun.  The bad news is, after having fun for a while, they have kids...and then they become terrified of fun, and try their best to put a stop to it.  And the best way to stop fun, of course, is to spread fear.  The media also does this, but they do it so that you'll be too afraid to go out, and you'll stay home in front of their programming. 

Well, let them try.  I, for one, plan to have fun and to keep having fun, and I will run over anyone that gets in my way, probably without noticing it.  So let this be a warning to the current crop of the No Fun crowd out there...You do what you want, and you let me do what I want, or you're likely to have big engineer boot prints all over your chest.

Nothing personal.

Or kill me. 

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Payne

I've spent many a saturday night in bars. I know this to be true.

You can generally tell how fucked up people are by going on a wedesday though. Wedenesday drinkers are the elite.

LMNO

One side note: I know a couple of people from Saudi Arabia... Apparently, the underground scene is rocking.

Like, all-night raves with hash and bootleg whiskey and indescriminate sex rocking.

Hmmm... A Fundamental Ascetic exterior masking a hidden debauchery?  Where have I seen that kind of culture before?

Richter

Realistic, especially the evening news and "things jsut aren't that bad" points,  (Heeding the difference between appreication and complacency.), and puts useable ideas and attitudes out there.  I'm going to need to bounce this off a few folks, but I like where its going.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

East Coast Hustle

best rant you've ever written, IMO. Gets across a very important point that so frequently gets lost amidst all the Chicken Little imitators.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

Most relevant at any rate.  That's what it's really all about, you know?

Adios

I love living here in a college town. These kids know how to enjoy a Saturday night and they help this old man feel younger. Here in The Little Apple, AKA Manhattan, Ks. there is a place called Aggieville. Or The 'Ville. Two blocks of bars and pubs within crawling distance from the Kansas State campus.

People throwing up in agony is just funny as hell to me.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on April 08, 2008, 08:45:21 PM
best rant you've ever written, IMO. Gets across a very important point that so frequently gets lost amidst all the Chicken Little imitators.

Thanks.

It's easy to see what to write about, when you have something to lose.  When you're just in a shitty, miserable mining town, you WANT doom, right?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on April 08, 2008, 03:47:41 PM
Realistic, especially the evening news and "things jsut aren't that bad" points,  (Heeding the difference between appreciation and complacency.),

Well, that's exactly it, isn't it?