Main Menu

mainstream rant #36: The Gen X Nuclear Option

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, April 08, 2008, 06:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: rzasthole on April 08, 2008, 09:41:44 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on April 08, 2008, 09:10:53 PM
Quote from: rzasthole on April 08, 2008, 08:30:01 PM
Well forgive me for thinking that you are all a bunch of Obamafags.  Obama  and Hillary will both tell you that there are major differences between them and McCain and minor differences between eachother. 

QuoteThere is no evidence that Hillary has any desire to work across party lines to get consensus.

1. She is more moderate than Obama, who is one of the most liberal senators.  2.More experience.

Example or GTFO ;-)
The National Journal found that Barack Obama had the most liberal voting record based on 107 "key votes" in the Senate in 2007.  Counting all votes he also has a more liberal voting record.

I meant about Hillster having experience... Sure Obama is liberal, he's running as a Democrat.
McCain will continue to fleece the bottom (read "the people") for the benifit of the top.

Example or GTFO ;-)
It is the Republican way.
[/quote]

Well, not really... but whatever.

QuoteMr. McCain paid a visit to our offices last Friday, and he now says the supports extending the Bush tax rates, even admitting they helped the economy emerge from recession "Without a doubt. Without the slightest doubt," he told us. "Absolutely."
Wall Street Journal

Sigh, yeah, this is my current problem with McCain, I can't tell if the past 10 years have been a show for the Independents, or if the current mess is a show for the Base. :(

But yes, McCain would be much better than Bush.  Easily apparent since Rush and Coulter seem to hate him.  But still a bowl of shit compared to the other two, in my opinion. (and probably Obama's and Hillary's opinion as well)

I consider them all distasteful, perhaps just in slightly different ways. To liken Obama and Hilldog to something edible and McCain to shit seems more than a bit biased to me.

I'd rate them all as pies left out way too long and probably each covered in their own special blend of bacteria, fly poop and mold... but hell, if its eat old pie or starve..

I'm going ala'mode , you want some?
;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on April 08, 2008, 05:32:59 PM
Any candidate who succeeds in making the "rationally apathetic" masses care - signifies to me that they're doing something right.

Oh, I know that guy!

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

guest7654

Well, I am biased.  I am a Liberal Democrat.  But as for Hillary's exp, well, Bill will be there with her, and he has Experience Aura which gives surrounding friendly units, +10% exp per kill, sChip, age, and did I mention Bill.   :)

Cain

I love the Hillary is experienced myth.  Going on holidays around the world (on the taxpayer's dime) and having chats with people =/= experience.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: rzasthole on April 08, 2008, 11:25:49 PM
Well, I am biased.  I am a Liberal Democrat.  But as for Hillary's exp, well, Bill will be there with her, and he has Experience Aura which gives surrounding friendly units, +10% exp per kill, sChip, age, and did I mention Bill.   :)
My main beef with Hillary is that she is the one who is supposed to get the nomination, according to the elites.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

guest7654

Who says she is supposed to get the nomination?  All the "elites" I hear, whether they be for McCain or Obama would say otherwise.  She is not some ignorant housewife, who keeps her mouth shut when the men are talking.  She is well educated and being exposed to a governorship and presidency for so long, is experience whether you like it or not.

Cain

How do state visits count as experience?  Should we be pressing for Chelsea Clinton to become President as well?  After all, she was on these trips too, and lived in the White House.

And of course, her (debateable) 'experience' has massively informed her political choices as well, hasn't it?  After all, her voting record shows that...shows that...oh, it looks like she fucked up when it came to several major pieces of legislation, along with other 'experienced' Senators.  Fancy that.  Ain't that something.  Could it be that experience, or lack thereof, in fact tells us next to nothing about a candidate's actual abilities or skills?

Requia ☣

The idea that hillary is more moderate, or Obama is more liberal only makes sense if you believe the mass hallicination of one dimensional politics the Con has sold this country.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

guest7654

Chelsea wasn't a highly educated adult living in the White House.  If you live with (and screw) a paleontologist for eight years, you will probably know more about paleontology than someone who hasn't.

Also add the years he was governor as her gaining experience of the executive sort.  I am not saying it is the same experience as being president.  But if you sit and watch a mechanic work for week you will gain knowledge, whether you touch a car or not. 

Quote from: Requiem on April 09, 2008, 01:54:19 AM
The idea that hillary is more moderate, or Obama is more liberal only makes sense if you believe the mass hallicination of one dimensional politics the Con has sold this country.

So what about Obama being more liberal than McCain?  Can we say that or are we all hallucinating?  If you vote more liberal, then it could be said that you are more liberal.

Requia ☣

No, I'm saying that the liberal/conservative scal is ullshit, pure and simple, meant to distract people from the fact that both sides are trying to screw people one way or another.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

guest7654

Well, if we're going to get screwed we can at least choose the more comfortable position.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: rzasthole on April 09, 2008, 02:56:39 AM
Chelsea wasn't a highly educated adult living in the White House.  If you live with (and screw) a paleontologist for eight years, you will probably know more about paleontology than someone who hasn't.

Also add the years he was governor as her gaining experience of the executive sort.  I am not saying it is the same experience as being president.  But if you sit and watch a mechanic work for week you will gain knowledge, whether you touch a car or not. 

I would not want the wife of a heart surgeon performing surgery... even if they had just celebrated their golden anniversary.

But, thats just me. ;-)

I think Hillary would be just as skilled at screwing things up as Obama and McCain
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

tyrannosaurus vex

i don't think "experience" counts as much as motive, anyway. as president, there is absolutely no shortage of expertise at your disposal in the form of advisers and ex-officials of all varieties. but no amount of expertise, either your own or your inner circle's, can stop you from fucking things up. between dick cheney and donald rumsfield, there's a century of solid experience. and look where that got us. obama at least has the balls to admit when he doesn't know something. and he will listen to all opinions -- even (and especially) those he is inclined to disagree with. i don't see hillary demonstrating that kind of maturity.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

guest7654

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 09, 2008, 03:53:16 AM
Quote from: rzasthole on April 09, 2008, 02:56:39 AM

I would not want the wife of a heart surgeon performing surgery... even if they had just celebrated their golden anniversary.

But, thats just me. ;-)

I think Hillary would be just as skilled at screwing things up as Obama and McCain

Your missing my point.  Would you rather have the wife of a heart surgeon who had a medical degree of some sort, or some jackass off the street?
The point is, her time in the white house, and the governor's mansion, would no doubt give her some experience on the subject.  Again, not as much as being gov or prez, but some nevertheless.  The amount we can argue about, but having a law degree and working on things like schip pretty much guarantee that she gained some valuable experience politically while in these positions.  To deny that is preposterous.

Quote from: vexati0n on April 09, 2008, 04:38:48 AM
obama at least has the balls to admit when he doesn't know something. and he will listen to all opinions -- even (and especially) those he is inclined to disagree with. i don't see hillary demonstrating that kind of maturity.

Well, you could be right there.  But I haven't seen anything to support that.

As for the exp around Bush fucking shit up...Maybe you forgot, they have been very successful in doing what they wanted to do.  Their experience helped them plenty I am sure.

Cain

And what will she do with that 'experience'?  Thats the point you seem to be missing.  Her debateable experience hasn't led to her proposing better policies, or backing better pieces of legislation now, has it?  As Vex said, Bush's administration team had tons of experience, and Bush himself was both a governor and a son of a President/VP/Chief of the CIA.  Fat lot of good that's done anyone, right?

So lets assume, for the sake of argument, she is experienced (though I still have my very clear doubts over that).  OK, what does that translate into?  Will she propose the same sort of legislation she has over the past 8 years, only more experienced?  Well, that's the Iranian and Iraqi people fucked, for starters.  Will she pass legislation like the PATRIOT Act (which was based on legislation from her husbands own term as President) more efficiently?  Will she ride roughshod over the institutional checks and balances meant to limit the power of the President more effectively?

Also, interestingly and totally off topic, I read McCain was advocating nuclear stockpile reductions as part of his foreign policy.  That's likely a good move, and does offset some of his hawkishness over Iraq.