News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Post your meatloaf recipes...

Started by Roo, April 12, 2008, 01:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roo

Quote from: Suu Fett on April 13, 2008, 05:10:46 AM
I hate meatloaf. I hate the fucking concept of meatloaf. It's the most disgusting excuse for a meal ever concocted. It's for people too lazy to make burgers or Hamburger Helper. Yes, too fucking lazy to even make Hamburger Helper.

I hate it. It's horrible. I detest it. I detest it soo much I can't even eat a fucking burger without a bun or a salisbury steak because it IS meatloaf in patty form with no protective bun shielding me from the god awful IDEA of ground beef. Gravy? Fuck your gravy, fuck your ketchup. It does nothing to change the fact that you bought ground beef, added shit to it, put it back in a lump and THEN cooked it in the same shape that which you purchased it.

There is no salvation for meatloaf lovers. Only meatloaf hell.

:argh!:

Heretic!

Suu

No. Trust me. If you've ever seen one of my mom's ketchup-infused heart-shaped Valentine's Day meatloaves...

Meatloaves?! WTF?!

That just SOUNDS bad. Okay? BREAD comes in LOAVES! Not MEAT!  :argh!:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Roo

Quote from: Suu Fett on April 13, 2008, 04:52:38 PM
No. Trust me. If you've ever seen one of my mom's ketchup-infused heart-shaped Valentine's Day meatloaves...

Meatloaves?! WTF?!

That just SOUNDS bad. Okay? BREAD comes in LOAVES! Not MEAT!  :argh!:

My mom's meatloaf is pretty bad too. I wouldn't even think about eating meatloaf until about a year ago. But since I'm not always in the mood for hamburgers, my bf really likes meatloaf, and I absolutely can't stand Hamburger Helper...we have loaves of meat.

Though I could imagine wrapping it up in some sort of dough and baking it that way....hm...might be more experimentation forthcoming.

Besides, I never said you HAD to like meatloaf.  :wink:

Nast

Meatloaf is certainly a freaky food.
It's like...a dense and spongy meat-starch amalgamation with a molten shell of ketchup on top. And people always put things in it like pine nuts and olives and mysterious vegetables so that it looks like you just compacted everything swept up from under the refrigerator and formed into a block.  :x

But I suppose it's a very nostalgic food for most people, and there are worse things you could do with meat, right?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Sir Squid Diddimus

<------agrees with Suu

wholeheartedly

i do has a recipe for bbq sauce though

stuff:
big can tomato sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tb worcestershire
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1 Tb onion powder
1 Tb garlic powder
1/2 Tb cayenne pepper
salt pepper to taste
1 Tb crystal hot sauce
1 tsp yellow mustard or ground mustard seed
1 Tb paprika
sometimes i put a little ground corriander in it.

method:
slop it all together on the stove over medium heat until everything is smooth and dissolved, taste it. if it needs something add it, if not, then don't. then slather it on your ribs, chicken, pork shoulder, NOT MEATLOAF!, burgers, what-have-you :)

Roo

Sounds good, CS. Never heard of crystal hot sauce, though. Looks like it's a Southern thing...is it really comparable to Frank's Red Hot, or anything else? :?

Suu

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I LOVE LOVE LOVE meatloaf!

I don't know exact measurements because I wing it, but usually it's:
ground bison
pork sausage
an egg
some rolled oats
chopped onions
minced garlic
minced parsley
tomato sauce
salt
pepper

bake

OMG EAT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Suu Fett on April 13, 2008, 09:43:49 PM
More like Louisiana.

yup, it's just a hot sauce like a hot wing sauce but milder than tobasco.

Nast

Quote from: Nigel on April 14, 2008, 02:28:31 AM

ground bison
pork sausage
an egg
some rolled oats
chopped onions
minced garlic
minced parsley
tomato sauce
salt
pepper

bake

OMG EAT.

OSHIT BISON N PORK SAUSAGE

I just may have to reconsider my stance on meatloaf.

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Iason Ouabache

ground bison
pork sausage
an egg
some rolled oats
chopped onions
minced garlic
minced parsley
tomato sauce
salt
pepper

bake

OMG EAT.

That's similar to my wife's recipe but she uses ground beef in the place of bison and bread crumbs in the place of the oats (my mom uses oats though).  And since everyone else is talking about sauces, I think that Alton Brown's meatloaf sauce is pretty damn awesome:

1/2 cup catsup
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon honey
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Richter

Meat Loaf:  In sammich it is superior to sloppy joe. 

Grandma's "Shit on a Shingle" recipe is better use of the hamburger. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Shit on a Shingle is roast beef, not ground beef.

Also: I hate Sloppy Joes too.

Roo

ground bison
pork sausage
an egg
some rolled oats
chopped onions
minced garlic
minced parsley
tomato sauce
salt
pepper

bake

OMG EAT.

mmmm...sounds deeeelicious.

approximately equal amounts of bison and sausage?

Richter

Agreement:  Sloppy joes suck. Sauce and meat should not exist in equal proportions.  Also, any uppity punkass food designed soley to shame people into slovenlyness does not deserve to exist.  

Counterstatement: Recipies varry for the shit.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat