News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Post your meatloaf recipes...

Started by Roo, April 12, 2008, 01:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Roo on April 14, 2008, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 14, 2008, 02:28:31 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE meatloaf!

I don't know exact measurements because I wing it, but usually it's:
ground bison
pork sausage
an egg
some rolled oats
chopped onions
minced garlic
minced parsley
tomato sauce
salt
pepper

bake

OMG EAT.

mmmm...sounds deeeelicious.

approximately equal amounts of bison and sausage?

Yes, about equal, and also sometimes I do 1 part ground lamb and 1 part pork sausage to 2 parts bison, and it would work equally well I think with lean ground beef but the market up the street always has bison for cheap so that's why I use that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

the idea of mixing in various meats sounds actually better than just your average ground chuck or round...I must admit.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Nigel on April 14, 2008, 02:28:31 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE meatloaf!

I don't know exact measurements because I wing it, but usually it's:
ground bison
pork sausage
an egg
some rolled oats
chopped onions
minced garlic
minced parsley
tomato sauce
salt
pepper

bake

OMG EAT.

Sub ground turkey for bison.  Ground beef (cheapest) for pork. 3 parts turkey to 1 part ground beef. Add a hint of ground red pepper or more to taste.  I've used rolled oats, breadcrumbs, cracker crumbs, matzo.  Whatever you got to act as a filler/binder for the meat.  Cover with bacon slices and tomato sauce or catsup your choice, I use tomato paste in my meatloaf and a splash of red wine, then cover with bacon and catsup.  It's all about preferences.

Roo

Quote from: Khara on April 14, 2008, 07:40:29 PM
Sub ground turkey for bison.  Ground beef (cheapest) for pork. 3 parts turkey to 1 part ground beef. Add a hint of ground red pepper or more to taste.  I've used rolled oats, breadcrumbs, cracker crumbs, matzo.  Whatever you got to act as a filler/binder for the meat.  Cover with bacon slices and tomato sauce or catsup your choice, I use tomato paste in my meatloaf and a splash of red wine, then cover with bacon and catsup.  It's all about preferences.

I like this idea best. Do you think a pound will cover it? :lol:
:bacon:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OK, the bacon idea adds a whole new dimension to it... what if the pan was lined in bacon, and then bacon laid out on top so the result was bacon-WRAPPED meatloaf? I think I want to try this. I have a 2-piece meatloaf pan with a perforated bottom and a drip tray, so the fat would drain off.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

the pate i made was kind of like that, wrapped in bacon
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's exactly what I was visualizing!

LMNO

Holy crap.  I think I just came in my pants.

Also, the perforated drip pan would be vitally neccessary.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I usually bake mine on my broiler pan and cover it with foil.  I would suggest that the more bacon used, the less ground beef in proportion to the ground turkey since the ground beef is strictly for enough fat to mix with the binder to hold the loaf together.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wonder how emu would go? I've been researching emu sources lately, I want to fill my freezer with it. It's surprisingly cheap.

Richter

I'd guess emu would be similar to ostrich: tasty, but v/ dry. 
Ground in a loaf, especialy with a bit of pork, I imagine this would be fantastic :D

Recipie wise I only know the traditional method, which is to burry it in a pit of hot stones clambake style, but leave the head sticking out.  When steam starts coming out of the mouth, it's done.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jenne

Sloppy Joes Rule.  BBQ meatloaf rules.  My MOM's meatloaf = teh suck, which is why I HATED FUCKING MEATLOAF, until I made my own.

If you like meatballs, you should LIKE meatloaf.  Period.  That's just what meatloaf is--a big, fucking ginormous MEATBALL.

My recipe is similar to IO's, just wiffout cheese.  I usually change it up with adding a dash of this that or the other that takes my whimsy.  But my meatloaf is pretty famous in this house by now.

And I HATED it growing up and wouldn't touch it with Nixon's dead dick.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on April 16, 2008, 01:01:27 AM
I'd guess emu would be similar to ostrich: tasty, but v/ dry. 
Ground in a loaf, especialy with a bit of pork, I imagine this would be fantastic :D

Recipie wise I only know the traditional method, which is to burry it in a pit of hot stones clambake style, but leave the head sticking out.  When steam starts coming out of the mouth, it's done.

Wowwwwwww I want to eat that.

Suu

I don't know how the general bumfuck America would react to us burying a big fucking bird and doing that...even for food.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think you're supposed to kill it first.