News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Multi Generation Geek

Started by Richter, April 15, 2008, 10:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Courtesy of an overblown yard sale this past weekend, I acquired a slide rule for $1.  Odd thing to have, but it was functional and seemed like a curiosity, if not a useful item.  My father grew up with them, and showed me the basics of their operation over sandwiches and beer. 

Odd skill to have, being able to use these obsolete pieces, but a few things about them struck me:
-they are not electricity dependent
-they are not vulnerable to EMP
-they are more durable than most electronics.
-they are replicable with only a steady hand and small wood carving tools, as long an intact original is present to copy (survivalist mathematicians? :| )
-they have certain elegance to them.  After only a few days of learning, I'm quite impressed by the functions you can perform by adjusting the alignment of a few simple logarithmic scales. 
-they are not as prone to "dumb" calculations as a computer.  You have to know WHAT you are doing before you do it, keeping you more mindful of your calculations. 

Nothing I'll ditch my laptop for, but having one around the tool kit, navigation equipment, or desk doesn't seem like the worst idea.   
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat