News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

For Nigel: The Correct Duck Motorcycle.

Started by LMNO, April 16, 2008, 06:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

1 whole duck
1 stock pot
1 roasting pan
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 500.

Bring water in stock pot to boil, then down to a simmer.  Clean out cavity of duck, then prick the skin of the duck with a knife. all over, paying attention to the fatty bits.  Prick parallel to the body, so you are only making small cuts in the fatty skin, not the red meat underneath.

Immerse in stock pot and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.  Do not let boil.

Remove, and let rest for 25 minutes, patting skin dry with a paper towel.

Season skin liberally with salt and pepper.

Place in oven for 15 minutes, then turn pan 180 degrees and roat for 15 more minutes.

Remove, let stand for 10 minutes, and carve.

Suu

Just salt and pepper, eh?

I've only had duck at Chinese places before, so I've never attempted to make one myself. I know it can be tricky.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Just the salt & pepper.  You really don't need anything else.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mmmm duck! I've never tried parboiling it before, but then I kind of like the greasiness.

Have you tried Muscovy? Quite a bit leaner, with a stronger taste and heavier texture.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on April 16, 2008, 06:44:12 PM
1 whole duck
1 stock pot
1 roasting pan
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 500.

Bring water in stock pot to boil, then down to a simmer.  Clean out cavity of duck, then prick the skin of the duck with a knife. all over, paying attention to the fatty bits.  Prick parallel to the body, so you are only making small cuts in the fatty skin, not the red meat underneath.

Immerse in stock pot and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.  Do not let boil.

Remove, and let rest for 25 minutes, patting skin dry with a paper towel.

Season skin liberally with salt and pepper.

Place in oven for 15 minutes, then turn pan 180 degrees and roat for 15 more minutes.

Remove, let stand for 10 minutes, and carve.

Also, one should use good seasoning mix, our home solution is a 15 spice blend that we make ourselves, but anything like that is good.

Also, thin sliced oranges slid between the skin and breast make the duck much more flavorful.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

East Coast Hustle

after they're done roasting, I like to halve them with a cleaver, put them on a foil-covered sheet pan, slather them with a glaze made from:

2 parts apricot jam
1 part hoisin sauce
1 part candied ginger

put in food processor and pulse until ginger is well-chopped and evenly distributed through the mixture

and finish them under the broiler until the skin and the glaze is crispy and just barely starting to blacken on top.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

The only thing you can't do with a cleaver is make cleavage.

Suu

Quote from: 30 Cent Solution on April 16, 2008, 10:08:21 PM
after they're done roasting, I like to halve them with a cleaver, put them on a foil-covered sheet pan, slather them with a glaze made from:

2 parts apricot jam
1 part hoisin sauce
1 part candied ginger

put in food processor and pulse until ginger is well-chopped and evenly distributed through the mixture

and finish them under the broiler until the skin and the glaze is crispy and just barely starting to blacken on top.

This sounds fucking amazing.

Also: My brother would agree on the cleaver, AND a proper fillet knife. Then again he paid the equivalent of my monthly rent for his knife set and a case to put them in.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

I can fillet almost anything with just a regular chef's knife, provided that it is actually sharp, and not what most people think of as "sharp".

ECH,
is that good

Suu

I'm sure he can do...but he likes to spend money.

"Hey Suu, check out my new kit!"

*unrolls case loaded with steel*

"It only almost cost me a grand!"

o.O

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Ha! I have the Ron Popiell Showtime Special Knife set!!!

You can't beat the Showtime No. 1 Knife... it can cut through pop cans  (in case you wanted to split a can of pop I guess...).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 30 Cent Solution on April 18, 2008, 01:06:18 PM
everyone needs a good cleaver.

I get by with an 8" chef and a slicing knife most of the time, but every once in a while I find myself thinking, "Shit, I need a cleaver".

Payne