News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Attention, New Age Freaks and Weirdos.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 21, 2008, 02:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 21, 2008, 11:48:37 PM
Quote from: daruko on April 21, 2008, 05:21:44 AM

Roger, it seems like your suggesting Chaos magick is about manipulation of "external reality", is that correct?  It seems to me to be more useful in application and study if it is understood as taking a more active role in psychologically altering your impressions of the world you experience.

Then why not call it "self-examination" or "meditation", both of which are valid practices? 

And what's with the fucking "sigils", then? 

It is a

steaming

pile

of

horseshit.

Look Roger, if you haven't shoved a lavender scented candle up your ass, lit it, and wished really hard for something that was likely to happen anyway, you can't comment on madgjicks.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Netaungrot on April 21, 2008, 11:56:48 PM

Roger, it seems like your suggesting Chaos magick is about manipulation of "external reality", is that correct?  It seems to me to be more useful in application and study if it is understood as taking a more active role in psychologically altering your impressions of the world you experience.

Then why not call it "self-examination" or "meditation", both of which are valid practices? 

It is a

steaming

pile

of

horseshit.

Look Roger, if you haven't shoved a lavender scented candle up your ass, lit it, and wished really hard for something that was likely to happen anyway, you can't comment on madgjicks.

Well, fuck.  I was using a blowtorch.

TGRR,
Carbon steel rectum.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Lies

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 21, 2008, 11:54:18 PM
Quote from: Lysergic on April 21, 2008, 04:44:31 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 21, 2008, 02:28:52 AM
1.  As of now, the fact that I am a Discordian does mean I will respect any oddball beliefs you have.  Apparently, that respect has been entirely one way, so now I intend to shit my diseased and parasite-infested feces all over the next filthy hippie that tries to tell me what a KAOS MAGICKIAN he is, etc.  Fuck off, I don't want to hear it.

2.  The fact that I am a Discordian does not imply that I am a hippie who will put up with each and every hippie, freak, and new age loser that comes down the pike.  I hate you all, and I wish that you would all - as a species - die.  So don't get all butthurt when I laugh at your eccentricities.

3.  Not every viewpoint of the world and it's workings is valid.  Mine is.  Yours isn't, at least until it agrees SOMEWHAT with the actual workings of the real, physical universe.  Are we clear?

4.  If you can't tell the difference between "having an open mind" and "believing everything you are told", then you're too fucking stupid to live.  Drink Drano, please.

5.  Yeah, I just laughed at your "religion".  Deal with it, Moonbeam.
Umn correct me if I'm wrong, but did you mean "1.  As of now, the fact that I am a Discordian does not mean I will respect any oddball beliefs you have.  "?

And uh... welcome to discordia Rog...  :kiss:

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

So does that mean I'm wrong and you will respect the oddball beliefs that I have?  :?

I'm not trying to get a rise out of you, I want to fucking know it was a typo or not... sorry for trying to make sure I'm understanding you correctly here.

Ah fuck it, I'm asking stupid questions again, aren't I?
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

President Bush

Wow! You fags are still here? Maybe you should get off your ass and put some thought into something meaningful instead of a stupid kiddie message board. You're all pawns in the game of life, no matter how much you think about it. You're still retarded no matter how big your words are. You're still missing the point.

There is still time to accept Jesus Christ, he is the only one that can fill the enormous void in your life. He is the definite answer you've been wasting your life looking for.  He will save your soul and ease your mind.  I too am a mere, flawed mortal. I can only hope others would try to reach me in times of need. This might be your last chance to save your eternity.

"What I am against is quotas. I am against hard quotas, quotas they basically delineate based upon whatever. However they delineate, quotas, I think vulcanize society. So I don't know how that fits into what everybody else is saying, their relative positions, but that's my position.'' —George W. Bush, as quoted by Molly Ivins, the San Francisco Chronicle, Jan. 21, 2000

"God loves you, and I love you. And you can count on both of us as a powerful message that people who wonder about their future can hear."—Los Angeles, Calif., March 3, 2004

LMNO

"psychological algorhithms"?

What the fuck are you babbling about?

I understand the purpose for using archetypes and symbology to trigger the subconcious, and I understand using ritual to change brainstate, but...

What you are doing all of this for seems to be the main issue here.

Fine; you summoned the Holy Guardian Angel thoughtform, and shifted your conciousness.  Now what?

Cain

Now we're going to go get drunk together.

Cain,
mahadquikcal, for the lulz

Daruko

Quote from: LMNO on April 22, 2008, 03:47:01 PM

You know what I meant.

I understand the purpose for using archetypes and symbology to trigger the subconcious, and I understand using ritual to change brainstate, but...

What you are doing all of this for seems to be the main issue here.

Exploring, what else?

Fine; you summoned the Holy Guardian Angel thoughtform, and shifted your conciousness.  Now what?

Um... THAT way!   -points toward horizon-

I mean, I'm not trying to sell magick to anyone.     I just put in my two cents about why I don't think it's horseshit, and wondered aloud whether Roger has explored "mystical" things without that perspective that it's hocus pocus.   It seems to me that a lot of people on both sides of the fence, who either believe/disbelieve in it strongly, are jumping ahead of the game.  I'm still playing in the sandbox, and I have been for some time.   I've had experiences which I skeptically call hallucinations, or self-induced "visions" if I'm in the mood.   Many of these CAN be correlated to real world phenomena, and I have several models I use to understand them.  I've experienced uncanny coincidences, AFTER I intended to, and this sort of thing had happened BEFORE I read RAW, so imagine my elation when reading Cosmic Trigger (for those who have).   I mean, I don't want to go into  "my magickal diary" or anything (i don't have such a thing), but I think there are plenty of methods outside the laboratory to understand the world, and I'm very sorry but I can't do this rant justice right now.  It's sloppy and poor.. it needs editing and better thinking out, but the first edit was worse, and I have to get back to work... I'll try and say more later, if it still seems appropriate.

All in all, I don't think it really matters if I'm the only person on the planet with interest in magickal systems.  To each his own.

LMNO

Quote from: daruko on April 22, 2008, 04:04:21 PM

You know what I meant.

Actually, no.  There's quite a few syllables there, but the content appears to be lacking.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Cain on April 22, 2008, 03:51:47 PM

Cain,

I am a level 20 booze shaman.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cain

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on April 22, 2008, 05:16:00 PM
Quote from: Cain on April 22, 2008, 03:51:47 PM

Cain,

I am a level 20 booze shaman.

I'm a level 9 student.

I get +8 to all fortitude saves caused by alcohol.  I can also cast Summon Greater Essay IV and Charm University Administration Officials 3 times a day.

LMNO

I'm a level 13 slashfic perv.  Everything I own is either sticky or encrusted.

Daruko

I really shouldn't  have even posted today... Quitting smoking makes thinking very difficult.    I'm freaking out, so I'm thinking I'll probably lurk for the next few.

Suu

I'm a level 45 destroyer of sewing machines and a level 30 booze shaman. I out drank my friend Saturday night when he complained about the tequila burning and 3 shots later I still hadn't felt anything so I gave up.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The Map is not the territory. Chaos Magic is a map. Why not call a City Street map "City Streets"?

Props. Tools. Toys. In CM, sigils are designed specifically to implant ideas into the subconscious of the practitioner. That's it.

Let's say that I don't like the shape of my cell in the BiP. In the CM model, I could create a sigil which represents what I want to change in my cell. Let's say that I want to modify how I tend to respond when a salesman is trying high pressure sales tactics. I would create a sigil that evoked the modification in my mind... maybe a sigil that shows bent iron bars, or one made from letters of a statement or whatever works for the prop dept. in the persons head.

Next we place ourselves in a state of mind that is receptive... here we could use madjickel terms since its a madjickal map... or we can say a meditative state, or a highly excited psychological state (depending on what the person is trying to do). Now we meditate on the sigil, while using "ritual" to distract the conscious mind. The sigil (which your brain has created as a symbol of what you want to change) can then be embedded into the subconscious mind.

Thats it. It's a psychological prop, no more or less steaming than any other psychological prop... its possible that the psychological modifications could be done with no props... but that seems far more difficult for most people, than having a system with props that they feel comfortable using.

Of course, plenty of idiots confuse props for crutches.

It is a

steaming

pile

of

horseshit.

NO YUO
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson