News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Modern Architecture

Started by Adios, April 27, 2008, 05:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Netaungrot on April 28, 2008, 11:49:42 AM
More blinding lack of craftsmanship (click the image if you can stand it).

There were probably just as many shoddy and boring building designs in ratio to well built and cleverly designed structures a 100 years ago as there are today. I don't know where you're getting your ideas about architecture...

As I said there certainly are exceptions. This building shows a great deal of personality and thought. I was in Kansas City when this mini bitch came to me. We went to a Sysco food show in what has to be one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen. It made me look around and pay attention.

The pictures that Cain linked are prime examples of my thought process. The pictures of Houston also show some exceptions and imagination.

Triple Zero

just out of curiosity, got some links for the ugly glass+steel ones then?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Adios

I don't. Didn't think to take pics, but will do so when back there again.

Idem

Also, what I really liked about Houston was that the skyscrapers were most nearly grouped on an "island", appearing to be separated from the rest of the city by a winding interstate.  There was so much contrast; around the "island", nothing was nearly as tall or distinct.

Also, unrelated to that paragraph:

Subtract Eight!

Quote from: Hawk on April 27, 2008, 05:54:27 PM
Have you seen it?

Cold, emotionless compilations of glass and exposed steel, forbidding in its sharpness. It requires no craftsmanship. The mirrored glass is blinding when the sun reflects of of it. I know there are exceptions, but they are too far and few in between. Buildings constructed in the late 1800's and early 1900's in the USA are far more durable and appealing. A great many of them are worth going to just look at. There was an obvious and generous amount of pride and imagination in the planning and construction of these buildings.

The difference sickens me.
Do you understand what money does?

Utilitarian is the word that describes its essential function, basically if you have a straight line, let's say its 30 stories tall, for fun, it's crazy but follow me for a bit, and you want something not glass, something that isn't as energy efficient, now what would that take? idk maybe money wtf do i know lol were on a dxcordian boared after all hahahahahahaha

Your ignorance doesn't really sicken me.
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   I\'ve subracted eight from tons of things.<br /><br />CANNA NUCCA GET A NAME CHANGE HURRR

Adios

Quote from: Subtract Eight! on April 29, 2008, 11:04:22 AM
Have you seen it?

Cold, emotionless compilations of glass and exposed steel, forbidding in its sharpness. It requires no craftsmanship. The mirrored glass is blinding when the sun reflects of of it. I know there are exceptions, but they are too far and few in between. Buildings constructed in the late 1800's and early 1900's in the USA are far more durable and appealing. A great many of them are worth going to just look at. There was an obvious and generous amount of pride and imagination in the planning and construction of these buildings.

Utilitarian is the word that describes its essential function, basically if you have a straight line, let's say its 30 stories tall, for fun, it's crazy but follow me for a bit, and you want something not glass, something that isn't as energy efficient, now what would that take? idk maybe money wtf do i know lol were on a dxcordian boared after all hahahahahahaha

I post an opinion and you choose to insult me. Go fuck yourself.

silentaether

'pataphysics
ra-chitecture
daubing sensory paradigms
and rotating around switches

http://www.surrealismcentre.ac.uk/papersofsurrealism/journal4/acrobat%20files/Spillerpdf.pdf

currently vice dean of an outspoken school of learning
yet, there is something there.

Cramulus

Quote from: silentaether on April 29, 2008, 02:27:49 PM
'pataphysics
ra-chitecture

http://www.surrealismcentre.ac.uk/papersofsurrealism/journal4/acrobat%20files/Spillerpdf.pdf

not quite architecture, but quite enjoyable nonetheless. Thanx!

silentaether

yes, not quite architecture. the man has proven to be quite influential amongst young architects in England, and thankfully a byproduct of this might be architects with greater curiosity in general. I guess the shit will always reign over the rest, that's the way things are, the inextricable connection between architecture and money cannot really be overcome in a way other than the theoretical practice of architecture. Yet simultaneously this is what makes it interesting and soul destroying, and slightly retrogressive. Drawings and diagrams are great aren't they?I think so. Mr. Spiller's things are thought provoking at least.

Cain

I was at a party with an architect a few months back.  Unfortunately, he was a Cambridge (or was it Oxford) taught one, so his ideas were somewhat....staid, shall we say?  Hopefully this sort of thing will become more popular, and at least cause some creative thinking amongst the newer generation of architects.

Adios

Subtract Eight!

Quote from: Hawk on April 29, 2008, 12:17:12 PM
Have you seen it?

all im saying is that architecture is a job, there are constant deadlines and the only way to satisfy YUO is if the person hiring the firm wants to spend an extra few million dollars and time.
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   I\'ve subracted eight from tons of things.<br /><br />CANNA NUCCA GET A NAME CHANGE HURRR

Subtract Eight!

Quote from: silentaether on April 29, 2008, 02:27:49 PM
'pataphysics
ra-chitecture

its pretty cool

though these kinds of things seem to me to be more literature than anything

Adios

Quote from: Subtract Eight! on April 29, 2008, 06:33:08 PM
Quote from: Hawk on April 29, 2008, 12:17:12 PM
Have you seen it?

all im saying is that architecture is a job, there are constant deadlines and the only way to satisfy YUO is if the person hiring the firm wants to spend an extra few million dollars and time.

You know nothing about me. I don't care to know anything about you. You have just joined a non-exclusive list of primates who can kiss my ass.