News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

How many protesters does it take to change a light bulb?

Started by ShoobyDB, April 21, 2008, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Idem on April 22, 2008, 01:11:53 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 22, 2008, 01:08:40 AM
Quote from: Idem on April 22, 2008, 01:07:34 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 22, 2008, 01:05:35 AM

But protesting doesn't work.
Never did or simply doesn't?

Let's review:

The Bonus Army.

Kent State.

ANY anti Iraq war rally.

What about civil rights protests (Black rights, women's suffrage)?  They had no influence?

Also, admittedly, those examples were collosal failures, yes.

They never work until someone gets shot.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Idem

Cain

Thats not a problem though.  Every movement has someone with a martyr complex.  Every single one.  Even if its about the local school menu.

Its just a matter of planning and luck after that.

ShoobyDB

I think its not the protestors fault. I've always said I admire them just for standing up for something. I see them all the time with the Honk for Peace signs, and I honk, and somewhere else somebody gets shot. Damn. But, the problem is that the people capable of making change don't really care about the opinions of the masses. Now, if you get one guy, and he'd probably have to be wearing a suit, to make a well worded speech and get the media invovled, it also helps if he/she pisses a bunch of people off, THEN we might see some progress. Protesting is like voting libertarian; it obviously has the best intentions, but nobody else cares and it gets swept under the rug. The next best thing is to vote for somebody who will make a little bit of a difference and work our way slowly out of the hole we've dug.
I posted that so hard.

Idem

Quote from: ShoobyDB on April 22, 2008, 05:56:41 AM
vote for somebody who will make a little bit of a difference and work our way slowly out of the hole we've dug.

Hah!  We'll see about that one.   :lulz:

Cain

Jenne

Quote from: ShoobyDB on April 22, 2008, 05:56:41 AM
I think its not the protestors fault. I've always said I admire them just for standing up for something. I see them all the time with the Honk for Peace signs, and I honk, and somewhere else somebody gets shot. Damn. But, the problem is that the people capable of making change don't really care about the opinions of the masses. Now, if you get one guy, and he'd probably have to be wearing a suit, to make a well worded speech and get the media invovled, it also helps if he/she pisses a bunch of people off, THEN we might see some progress. Protesting is like voting libertarian; it obviously has the best intentions, but nobody else cares and it gets swept under the rug. The next best thing is to vote for somebody who will make a little bit of a difference and work our way slowly out of the hole we've dug.

Well Jesus, Shoob, you go on and on as if THAT WASN'T BEING DONE ALREADY.  As if protesting and choosing your candidate "wisely" (granted, sometimes an oxymoron!) are mutually exclusive.

So NOT the case, kthxbye.

ShoobyDB

Yes and no. It is being done, but not by the people wasting effort holding a sign. I guess I'm saying get behind a person, not a piece of cardboard. I feel like I'm stating the obvious, but telling me I'm doing that is also stating the obvious. I'm not even sure we're on the original subject.
I posted that so hard.

Jenne

Sure.  Obvious.

Obviously WHACKED and not engaging in the very practices you're calling down.

But whatever.  I will continue to DO WHAT I DO.

ShoobyDB

I'm feeling a tinge of negative energy. I'm not too sure what you meant by that. I'm not by any means saying that I go out everyday with a cape and change the world with my super-human problem solving skills. If you are going to go out and try to get what you want, and you have a large following, maybe posterboard and a sharpie aren't going to accomplish your goals. There are things I want to change, sure, and I have a plan for that. It just seems so damn difficult for a working action plan to happen and so easy to form a picket line. People seem to have more courage in a group. This is certainly true for me atleast. Its always nice to have people agreeing with you. When somebody stands alone, most of the time they aren't even considered as anything but crazy. Yet, history shows us the majority is often wrong.
I posted that so hard.

Verbal Mike

Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Adios

Quote from: Jenne on April 22, 2008, 08:44:03 AM
Sure.  Obvious.

Obviously WHACKED and not engaging in the very practices you're calling down.

But whatever.  I will continue to DO WHAT I DO.

Hang in there Jenne.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Susan B Anthony.

Hawk,
just sayin

President Bush

Wow! You fags are still here? Maybe you should get off your ass and put some thought into something meaningful instead of a stupid kiddie message board. You're all pawns in the game of life, no matter how much you think about it. You're still retarded no matter how big your words are. You're still missing the point.

There is still time to accept Jesus Christ, he is the only one that can fill the enormous void in your life. He is the definite answer you've been wasting your life looking for.  He will save your soul and ease your mind.  I too am a mere, flawed mortal. I can only hope others would try to reach me in times of need. This might be your last chance to save your eternity.

"What I am against is quotas. I am against hard quotas, quotas they basically delineate based upon whatever. However they delineate, quotas, I think vulcanize society. So I don't know how that fits into what everybody else is saying, their relative positions, but that's my position.'' —George W. Bush, as quoted by Molly Ivins, the San Francisco Chronicle, Jan. 21, 2000

"God loves you, and I love you. And you can count on both of us as a powerful message that people who wonder about their future can hear."—Los Angeles, Calif., March 3, 2004

hunter s.durden

This space for rent.

AFK

You know, with these new-fangled CCFL bulbs, people might forget how to change bulbs. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.