News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Weird "coincidences"

Started by Iason Ouabache, April 22, 2008, 06:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

Not sure if anyone has been paying attention to the Midwest lately, but some very very odd things have been happening in the last week.  On Wednesday night of last week (the 16th) there was an odd streak going across the sky in central Indiana.  The official word from the government is that it was a pair of F-16 flying too close to the sky, but a couple of my coworkers who saw it said that it looked more like a long streak of light.

A little less than 2 day after that (early Friday morning), a series of earthquakes started with an epicenter roughly 5 miles away from my hometown.  Several of the quakes have been over 4.5 on the Richter scale.  (All of these were along the Wabash Fault Line, btw.) 

In the way of coincidences, I happened to read this section of RAW's Prometheus Rising this afternoon:

QuoteI once proposed in a magazine article that the UFO is caused by some unusual electromagnetic or gravitational field fluctuation; and that this geophysical anomaly creates (a) real energy disturbances - jumping furniture, electrical failures, ball-lightning making odd lights in the sky, etc. and (b) disturbances in the brain functioning of animals and humans in the afflicted area, causing the well-documented animal panics and the rather obvious human hallucinations occurring in such areas.

Seems like a very plausibly explanation, especially since I also heard this on The Naked Scientists' podcast from April 13th just the night before:

QuoteScientists in China are investigating the possibility that seismic events might trigger the creation of strange cloud formations.

Anvil shaped cumulus cloud, February 2007Writing in the International Journal of Remote Sensing, Chinese scientists Guangmeng Guo and Bin Wang from Nanyang Normal University in Henan report that about 60 days before each of the two magnitude 6 earthquakes that struck Iran in 2004 and 2005 respectively, a gap hundreds of kilometres long appeared in the clouds over the main fault in the south of the country.  The gap remained in place, despite the surrounding clouds all moving, and thermal images showed that the ground around the fault was warmer than the surrounding areas.  The Chinese researchers suggest that hot gases escaping from the active fault could have caused water in the overlying clouds to evaporate.

It's sorta freaking me out how all of this information hit me at the exact time that the  two natrual events happened. A bit of scinchronicity, if you will.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Hey, is anybody going to see if they can mechanically replicate the phenomenon?

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Felix on April 22, 2008, 06:51:56 AM
Hey, is anybody going to see if they can mechanically replicate the phenomenon?
Spoken like a true engineer.  You completely skip over the questions "What the hell happened?" and "What caused this?" and went right to "How can we use this to our advantage?"   :lulz:
    \

Jasper

Vene

Quote from: Felix on April 22, 2008, 11:02:37 PM
I want to make storms. :(
Who doesn't?

And for Iason, a new hat (made of Sn, naturally).

Now bow to your new Chinese masters.

Cain

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on April 23, 2008, 08:39:58 AM
Is this related in any way?

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread349995/pg1
Hilarious! There is no way in hell it was a nuclear blast.  If it had been, my sister would be dead since she lives about 4 miles from the epicenter. I was in the area for the last couple of days and they are still having aftershocks.  My family wouldn't shut up about it either.  :argh!:

Another weird coincidence: geologist convention that was planned months in advance in Evansville this weekend.
    \

Cain

Yeah, I was hoping something more...believable would have showed up in the thread, so I didn't check.  I take it that was not the case though.

Faust

if the quake started slowely joints could have opened up in the rocks releasing gas, some gasses are flourecent under certain conditions, or the difference between it and the air around it created diffraction of light.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Dysfunctional Cunt

The light you saw in the sky was not from an F-16.

Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Noting to see here.....

:lulz:

We felt the quake here in St. Louis along with quite a few aftershocks.  They said the first was a 5.2. 

Faust

could of course be a magnetic disturbance if a large amount of ferromagnetic material was moving underground.

did you wake up with ectoplasm on you?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Faust on April 28, 2008, 04:34:07 PM
could of course be a magnetic disturbance if a large amount of ferromagnetic material was moving underground.

did you wake up with ectoplasm on you?

So THAT is what that was..... :fap:

Daruko

And yesterday 10,000 people died in a China, due to a 7.8 magnitude earthquake (7.9 in my local paper)   

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080513.CHINA13/TPStory/TPInternational/Asia/

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: daruko on May 13, 2008, 03:01:30 PM
And yesterday 10,000 people died in a China, due to a 7.8 magnitude earthquake (7.9 in my local paper)   

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080513.CHINA13/TPStory/TPInternational/Asia/

BUT... did they see weird shit in the sky first?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

rong

i had a weird coincidence last week.  i was having a few beers thursday morning after work and contemplating if i should go to the bar or not.  i walked over to my truck to get another pack of smokes and i saw something orange out in my field.  naturally, i went to go see what it was.  as i got closer i noticed it was a flag of some type and it was kind of folded up.  after i got closer yet, i could clearly read "ERIS" on it.

well, turns out it was an orange tag from a deer blind manufactured by "amERIStep"

so, i went to the bar.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"