News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Radio Free Discordia

Started by Mourning Star, April 28, 2008, 06:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

If I can find a way to bypass my company's firewall, I'd listen all day. 

I'll look into it.

Triple Zero

i'm pretty sure 25 would be more than enough.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Daruko

dunno how many hours worth (no less than hundreds), but i have a lot of friends who make music, and wouldn't have a problem with us playing their copyright material
many bands + many musics

for starters, everything at these two links:  http://www.intangiblecat.com/    and    http://www.homogenizedterrestrials.com/
there's more... plus i think i could get permissions from some elephant6 peoples

also skype broadcasting is free   :D

also i can help with editing/production

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on April 28, 2008, 06:54:14 PM
Id be willing to help
but not until my students finish their recital mid-june
and as for money probably willing to help
but only if i pay by check... (willing to do one for several months or something)

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Suu

I will gladly chip in, especially if this does really well.

Also.....YOU CAN PUT THIS ON YOUR RESUME AS BROADCAST EXPERIENCE.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I've missed being a DJ for 10 years... I will gladly help you out with this MS.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Suu

I think I should do a soundtrack block on Sundays or something. God only knows I have enough soundtracks.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mourning Star

I'm very glad to see everyone getting excited over this.  I will open the paypal account today.

I'm thinking, give me the month of may to work out details, and if all the money is in the right place and we can get a schedule worked out, we can go live on June 1st...

Or possibly 5/23 if I can get a stable interwebs connection from my laptop in Boston (assuming I can make the meetup, we can broadcast from there.  :) )

Triple Zero

Quote from: Mourning Star on April 29, 2008, 07:56:01 PMOr possibly 5/23 if I can get a stable interwebs connection from my laptop in Boston (assuming I can make the meetup, we can broadcast from there.  :) )

now that would be pretty fucking swote :D
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Daruko

stmae

I'm not sure I want to or can commit to a regular DJ shift, but I'd do it once in a while. And I'd pay $5 a month just to support this because it's a project I believe in. Not only that, but also I will promote it to the Discordian.com announcements email list and on the site.

I have some friends who are DJs for Radio KoL (Kingdom of Loathing). If you'd like to talk to one of them about the technology they're using and how it's all working out for them, I'd love to put you in touch.

Speaking of that, you should find out how the number of listeners is decided and what happens if you go over. If I promote this to my 500+ person mailing list one day and like a hundred people come listen, will 50 of them not be able to listen, or will we be charged extra? Or will it average over a month and maybe still work out to ~50 people a day? How do they handle spikes in traffic?

My guess is that the average number of listeners will be pretty low, but there will be a few huge spikes as I email my list and as we post this around places (if you want, I can do promotion for this the same places I post about KallistiCon, and I could try to get it on BoingBoing if we want to do that). Before you sign contracts, you should make sure you understand what happens in these instances so there are no surprises as far as money goes.
Episkopos Pope Saint Mae Victoria the Red Sage, KSC
Church of No Dead Saints, Discordian.com

Mourning Star

Thanks St. Mae.  My understanding is that once we reach our 50 user limit, it won't allow any more users.

We have the option of going higher in our max listeners, but the cost does increase.

And of course, I'd love to have people from your site, and EB&G or really any Discordian site, listening, or broadcasting.  Anyone who wants to be a DJ will be given a chance, (with first pick of time slots given to those who donate) and anyone wanting to donate to keep things alive?  Fuck yeah, of course we'll accept the help.

If your friends who work Radio KoL (which was always super fun to listen to back when I played KoL) know how things are set up, and have a legal royalty/license thing worked out, I would LOVE to talk to them, send them my way on IRC, or PM me and I'll give you an email address or AIM or other method they can contact me.

:)

Thanks for the support.  I REALLY want this project to happen, but I don't wanna commit a fuckload of my own money just to watch everyone else jump ship.

Daruko

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.