News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Radio Free Discordia

Started by Mourning Star, April 28, 2008, 06:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bds

Nah, I'm a Microsoft kinda guy. Well, I'm not. I just can't be fucked with nix.

More to the point, it would appear my music library is more full of shit than I first thought. And Sam Broadcaster's idea of shuffle seems to be just skipping 30 or so songs down, alphabetically. Probable solution: Create playlist of decent music, randomise. Broadcast. Iz good.

Mourning Star

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on February 07, 2010, 07:27:43 PM
If you have a *nix box, I can hook you up with my autobroadcasting script.

Enki.  I'd like to snag that script if you don't mind.

Also.  My hosting fees for the 25 listener server are coming due this month, I don't think I'll be able to afford to continue paying for that large of a server, and there's not been as much activity/response for the project as I had originally anticipated.  (This of course has also resulted in zero donations to keep the project alive)

At this time, my VPS could stand to take over as the server, but my bandwidth is incredibly limited, so our listener limit would drop to 5, and I'd need to keep a close eye on bandwidth usage and if we get close to my limit, I'd have to tank the radio station until next month's reset.

Alternatively, I can switch our hosting server to less listeners to decrease costs, but as it stands today, I don't know what I'll be able to afford.  I'm in a shitty dead-end job presently, with a handful of slightly less shitty, equally dead-end jobs on the table, so money does not flow from my orifices, but I shall endeavor to keep RFD alive.  Anyone wishing to take advantage of the donate button on the RFD front page, is highly encouraged to do so.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

If all else fails, I can dedicate an old machine as a shoutcast server. It would be free, but it would correlate to nothing working whenever I'm torrenting.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

bds

Shit. I wish I could help... Might be able to swing a bit of money your way, but turns out companies don't want to employ kids my age any more. Fuckers.

Ratssinis

I'll have a little cashflow to my paypal account on the 12th, Ill send you the few bucks I have leftover to help. It wont be much but its all I can do right now.

As it stands Im happy broadcasting intermittently whenever theirs dead air. I usually set the topic in the IRC to reflect that the stream is live. That said I have horrible math skills when it comes too time zones and such so If Im broadcasting during someones 'slot' they will have to contact me in the IRC to get me to smarten up.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mourning Star on February 07, 2010, 07:42:08 PM

Also.  My hosting fees for the 25 listener server are coming due this month, I don't think I'll be able to afford to continue paying for that large of a server, and there's not been as much activity/response for the project as I had originally anticipated.  (This of course has also resulted in zero donations to keep the project alive)

At this time, my VPS could stand to take over as the server, but my bandwidth is incredibly limited, so our listener limit would drop to 5, and I'd need to keep a close eye on bandwidth usage and if we get close to my limit, I'd have to tank the radio station until next month's reset.

Alternatively, I can switch our hosting server to less listeners to decrease costs, but as it stands today, I don't know what I'll be able to afford.  I'm in a shitty dead-end job presently, with a handful of slightly less shitty, equally dead-end jobs on the table, so money does not flow from my orifices, but I shall endeavor to keep RFD alive.  Anyone wishing to take advantage of the donate button on the RFD front page, is highly encouraged to do so.

What's the damage on that joint/month?  I ask because I'm about to use the fucking thing, and I'd kind of like it to be there.  I've been canning rants for days now, to mix in with music and maybe get the original idea going, and NOW it's shutting down?

Molon Lube

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Mourning Star on February 07, 2010, 07:42:08 PM

http://namcub.accela-labs.com/stories/rfd.tgz

You will need to set the prefix and either input your own twitter info (or RFD's) or comment out the twitter line. Once set up properly, you can tell cron to run domusic.sh at a given time, and it will run for two hours and then disconnect.

I'm using shoutcast's official transcoder whatever for *nix. The default configuration for that doesn't generally need much tweaking.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 16, 2010, 10:28:53 PM
could you not use sopcast or something similar and stream it for free or is this wrong somehow?

From what I understand, the money thing is about having a dedicated server with enough bandwidth consistently. You can run a shoutcast server out of a shoe box, so long as it has fast internet that doesn't go down.

Mourning Star

So yeah, the big server died on 12-Feb.  I've been insanely busy in the interim, but now that I have a little time, what would the other DJs like to do?  I can try hosting a server on my VPS, this will require me to cut our max listeners to 5, and limit unscheduled broadcasts to about an hour, as my monthly bandwidth limitations are not very high, and if we exceed those limits, the IRC server will stop working as it's hosted on the same box.

If anyone has another solution, let me know.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mourning Star on February 24, 2010, 05:20:48 PM
So yeah, the big server died on 12-Feb.  I've been insanely busy in the interim, but now that I have a little time, what would the other DJs like to do?  I can try hosting a server on my VPS, this will require me to cut our max listeners to 5, and limit unscheduled broadcasts to about an hour, as my monthly bandwidth limitations are not very high, and if we exceed those limits, the IRC server will stop working as it's hosted on the same box.

I am very interested in doing a one-hour segment a week, if someone will show me how.  I'm thinking 10 minutes of ranting, and music.

I would also be amenable to helping fund something with a bit more capability, if you're interested.
Molon Lube

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Mourning Star on February 24, 2010, 05:20:48 PM

I don't have a bandwidth cap. If/when I can get a new hard disk into the server (or if/when I end up replacing the damned thing), I may be up for hosting either a primary or backup shoutcast server from my own connection. I'm not sure if either the broadcasting or listening mechanisms would register an HTTP redirect, but if they do, that might kick in shortly before you hit a VPS bandwidth cap or something.

bds

I'm still down to DJ off the VPS, buuuuut if we're limited to 5 listeners, AND you've got the bandwidth cap, it seems like it would make sense to ensure listeners before streaming, ya'know? Like, there's no sense in running a show and wasting the bandwidth if nobody's actually listening.

- Oh and it'd be pretty sweet if we could fix the twitter code. Might have a chat with Trips on IRC. Oh oh oh and it might be kinda cool to host shows on Soundcloud and link them on rfd.org, so there's some actual content on the site. I'll take a look at that, I reckon.

bds

BAH-BUMP.

So I finally got around to doing some RFD stuff, and, well, here it is. Comments and criticisms both welcome and appreciated.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

could you explain a bit more about what Mix Cloud is?

and those image embed thingies look ugly, but I guess that's the fault of my stylesheet.

.. SO I FIXED IT. please to check out the "HTML" tab of your post how the caption tags are formatted, then next time you can do the same :D

and you say one mix is "oldies" and the other "perhaps fresher". that could be anything! rave? soul? funk? goa? rock? IDM? hiphop?

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.