Radio Free Discordia

Started by Mourning Star, April 28, 2008, 06:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourning Star

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 15, 2008, 06:42:20 PM
Quote from: Mourning Star on July 08, 2008, 03:31:19 PM
Quote from: Daruko on July 08, 2008, 02:38:30 PM
Quote from: Mourning Star on July 07, 2008, 10:57:00 PM
I'm still planning on trying to make this happen.
after I finish my last class and get my degree.

When?
The Class started yesterday
however, there's already been a few trial runs of how this service is going to work, except it's run from my house and can only support 5 listeners at once.

I think I can provide us with a server + bigger pipe.

tell me moar

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The theinvisiblecollege.com is currently hosted on a mostly empty virtual server with lots of bandwidth....

(as long as the server portion can run on Linux)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mourning Star

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 15, 2008, 09:02:55 PM
The theinvisiblecollege.com is currently hosted on a mostly empty virtual server with lots of bandwidth....

The server is linux based.  It runs on the same box I run the IRC server on.

what the maximum monthly bandwidth you're allowed you use?  (How much total data can be transfered from the site each month?)
And what is the speed of the connection?

The 2nd figure tells us how many users we can have, the first figure tells us if it's feasible.

Because if we use up all of your monthly transfer allowance in a week (which is likely for most web hosts) then we're no better off, and your website is crippled for the rest of the month.  or you get charged for overages.

LMNO

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 15, 2008, 06:42:20 PM
Quote from: Mourning Star on July 08, 2008, 03:31:19 PM
Quote from: Daruko on July 08, 2008, 02:38:30 PM
Quote from: Mourning Star on July 07, 2008, 10:57:00 PM
I'm still planning on trying to make this happen.
after I finish my last class and get my degree.

When?
The Class started yesterday
however, there's already been a few trial runs of how this service is going to work, except it's run from my house and can only support 5 listeners at once.

I think I can provide us with a server + bigger pipe.

You mean a larger truck, of course.

Adios

So much potential............

I would like to be a part of this.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Mourning Star on July 16, 2008, 03:13:29 AM

what the maximum monthly bandwidth you're allowed you use?  (How much total data can be transfered from the site each month?)

The 2nd figure tells us how many users we can have, the first figure tells us if it's feasible.

Because if we use up all of your monthly transfer allowance in a week (which is likely for most web hosts) then we're no better off, and your website is crippled for the rest of the month.  or you get charged for overages.

I'm hosting on a Tier-1 provider directly connected to GIG-E Backbone, so we should have a huge... truck.

My current server:

*  128 MB Dedicated RAM
    * 150 GB Monthly bandwidth
    * 5 GB Disk space

For $10 more a month I can double those.

What do you think?

Mourning Star

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 16, 2008, 04:01:55 PM
Quote from: Mourning Star on July 16, 2008, 03:13:29 AM

I'm hosting on a Tier-1 provider directly connected to GIG-E Backbone, so we should have a huge... truck.

My current server:

*  128 MB Dedicated RAM
    * 150 GB Monthly bandwidth
    * 5 GB Disk space

For $10 more a month I can double those.

What do you think?

I think you're the muthafucking man!

I forgot the math to figure out BW usage...

1 user at 128K  uses X per minute.  Multiply that by (I was thinking 20-30 users as a start) and if THAT is less than 150GB kickass.  if not, we'll figure it out?

Anyway.  We'll talk more.  I see you're in IRC, I will PM you.

Mourning Star

Okay, after some testing and some fiddling, Ratatosk and I have got the server working and have done several sucessful tests of what will become the radio station.

So what we're going to need next is some random spots to be played at various times throughout the programming.  Station ID's and what not.

I'm really exhausted right now so I can't think of good examples.  But "You are listening to Radio Free Discordia" and things like that.

I will provide details of things I will absolutely need when I'm not so tired.  But for now, just think about that shit they play on the regular radio between playing the shit you WANT to hear.

and make some of your own, for us.

Commercials, bits, station identification... alllll of that shit

Use your imagination, I wanna hear whatever you've got, and i'm sure everything will get used at some point.

PLEASE NOTE: All of these must be in 44khz 128Kbit mp3 to be compatible...
\\

too tired to think....brainstorm with the other children

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am certain I can do some station identification spots and such.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I am certain I can be a smarmy prick.

Give me a script and I'm set.

Mourning Star

Okay.  So the majority of the kinks have been hammered out of the Radio Station server.

I'mpretty busy with my online class.  So if someone wants to volunteer to help build a web site for the station, I would appreciate the help...

Also, anyone wishing to add on-demand content to the station (Podcasts, pre-recorded shows, skits, what the fuck ever) please let me know. 

There will be more information coming.  When I'm not overwhelmed with other work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Also, according to some people I know who are doing Internet Radio, we should probably broadcast at 64Kbits rather than 128 Kbits.

Mourning Star

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 19, 2008, 08:27:54 AM
Also, according to some people I know who are doing Internet Radio, we should probably broadcast at 64Kbits rather than 128 Kbits.

Those who would sacrifice audio quality to save a few bucks, deserve neither quality nor bucks.

also, if I remember, I've got to email Eric Corley and get his permission to simulcast Off The Hook on Wed Nights

Triple Zero

it's not just bucks, but also connection quality for the listeners. but IMO 64kbps MP3 is inexcusable, MP3 just plain sucks at bitrates that low.

if you can somehow make it a 48-64kbps (average bitrate) OGG stream, that's totally acceptable soundquality (IMO comparable to 128kbps MP3, to my ears) using less than half the bandwidth.

MP3 is just old hat, psycho-acoustics have come a long way in the mean time with better strategies to throw away as much bits you wouldnt hear anyway :)

probem with OGG is that afaik iTunes doesnt support it. perhaps you can make two URLs? one for those that support OGG (most windows and linux users) that can use the lesser bandwidth for a more stable connection and the other for those that need MP3.

on the other hand, if bandwidth is not an issue anymore, SomaFM also broadcasts 128kbps and that goes fine.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Let me know what I can do guys. I'd be willing to do a "show". I have a friend who works for a real radio station, and he said I can use his equipment to record bumpers and fake commercials.  :fap:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."