News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

Radio Free Discordia

Started by Mourning Star, April 28, 2008, 06:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverend Loveshade

Just saw this thread--cool.  I'll put out a notice out of what's up.

I've got a friend who did DJing, voices for radio skits, wrote radio commercials and jingles and the like, but isn't doing broadcasting right now.  Probably couldn't do a regular show, unfortunately, but has some really weird stuff that no one would touch--how far over the wall can we go with this?
"Threats should not be tolerated. They're demeaning, they're violations to human rights and no one deserves them."

-- navkat, 20 June 2007, principiadiscordia.com

Mourning Star

I don't necessarily have rules...

But you have shown a tendency towards ideas that even I find excessively "out there" so I'd like to know more of what you have in mind first.

Mourning Star

I don't know if Trip announced yet.  But he finished the website...mostly, just needs a few more tweaks and finishing touches as we get closer to launching the station. I purchased the domain, and am now hosting it on my web host.

http://www.radiofreediscordia.org/

Also, we need anyone who's interested in doing a weekly show to post here and request the time slots they would like so we can start building the schedule.  We want to launch somewhere around August 15th, so if you wanna do this, now's the time to get started with your planning.

Please specify which time zone you're requesting your time slot in, to avoid confusion.

If you need help learning how to DJ to a shoutcast server please go to
http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml

and see the information for your individual operating system and media player.

I recommend all windows users who will be DJing to please download and install Winamp, as it makes the whole process a lot less difficult.

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, so I'll probably post more and more as we get closer to launch.  Oh!  At some point I will be posting some DMCA information that all of our DJs will have to follow so that Myself and Ratatosk don't end up in jail as someone's prag.

Please check out the website, and give your feedback to Triple Zero, he's done an amazing job and I can't begin to thank him enough.

I do want to cover that we will be accepting donations to help pay the monthly hosting bill (It's about 33 dollars a month, plus tax.)  And I'd still like to discuss with the others interested in DJ whether they'd be willing to pay a monthly 5 dollar donation towards that bill, or possibly reserve premiere time slots for donating DJs.  I don't know.   I want to keep this as fair as possible, while at the same time make sure Rat and I don't go broke paying the bills.

Not much else I can think of to say right now, except to also point out that anyone wishing to submit more RFD taglines for the top of the website should do so in this thread, and we'll probably add them to the pool.

Iason Ouabache

I'd be willing to do a late night shift (1 AM -3 AM EST) once or twice a week.  I don't have a mic but I do have a pretty interesting mp3 collection. I've got the Winamp files installed but don't have it all figured out yet.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

LMNO

Is there a way to assemble a set without actually having to be there to stream in real time?

I mean, I could pre-record a couple of voiceovers and make up a playlist, I just don't really have the time to sit at the computer and load songs one by one.

LMNO
-streamcasting dunce and mac user.

AFK

yeah, ditto.  I have some vacation time next week.  While I have some honeydo projects, I also have time set aside strictly for recording, music, etc.,  I'd be more than willing to throw together an 1/2 hour or hour show to be broadcasted.  But yeah, I'm not sure I'd really ever have the time to do it live either.

RWHN,
-even duncier with this stuff. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

The quickest/roughest way I can think of is to drag a bunch of songs into Audacity, and then render the file as one huge MP3/OGG.

Would that be about right?

Daruko

Quote from: LMNO on August 05, 2008, 01:57:40 PM
The quickest/roughest way I can think of is to drag a bunch of songs into Audacity, and then render the file as one huge MP3/OGG.

maybe combine the parts between songs with songs on either side, to get the right fading and what-not, and then queue it up with the playlist, with a subtle auto-fade between tracks.   that's what i was thinking of doing.

Mourning Star

LMNO's one giant file idea is one that I know will work.  As for other methods?  I'm looking into ways to make this possible.  I also spoke with a friend last night who set up an auto-DJ for his gaming clan's Shoutcast stream, so I'm looking into how to make that work as well, so that it will play music from a pre-determined source when no one else is streaming to the server.

LMNO, RWHN, and anyone else who wants to pre-record stuff to be used, please feel free, we will definitely put them into the schedule.  :)

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on August 05, 2008, 01:57:40 PMThe quickest/roughest way I can think of is to drag a bunch of songs into Audacity, and then render the file as one huge MP3/OGG.

That's how i record my DJ sets as well.

personally i was planning to a sort of combination of pre-recorded and live stuff for my Pineal Time program. i gotta get mixing though!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mourning Star

I'm having financial trouble right now...

I'd like to see how many listeners we tend to get with the current server before I start dropping more money.  I've already paid for the domain and the website hosting.

Trip assures me the last few things for the website will be finished soon.  I really need people to start posting here with their desired times and days that they will be broadcasting.

LMNO

I won't be doing anything live... should I just send you a massive MP3 of an hourlong mix?

Mourning Star

Quote from: LMNO on August 29, 2008, 01:12:32 PM
I won't be doing anything live... should I just send you a massive MP3 of an hourlong mix?

Sir, If you were to send me an hour long MP3 of you slapping your cock off a snare-drum, I would still play it on the station.

So yes, please to be sending me any recordings or shows you wish for me to play, as well as a preferred time and day of the week you'd like them played, if you have no preference, I will insert them into the schedule as to fill gaps.

This goes for anyone who wishes to send me pre-recorded sessions.

Cain

I have no money.

I have no time or privacy to record with....at the moment.

On the upside, I seem to have fixed my computer (cross-fingers).