News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

dont you just hate it when

Started by Slarti, December 31, 2003, 09:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

don't you just hate it when your neighbors have a family reunioun so their irresponsible yuppie family comes charging into the neighborhood? And then they have a have a big golden retriever puppy that leaps out of the car and runs straight into your yard to take a crap! And then, the yuppie family comes chasing after it and LO AND BEHOLD it's that stupid girl from your honors bio class that doesn't understand electrons!

why do annoying people always have to show up and bother me? I was in the middle of microwaving a chicken patty and reading about class inheritance in C++. I need a glass box with soda to hide in.

SMFabal

Hey, man, no one really understands electons. That's like trying to understand Eris, or like GWBush.
SMFabal, High Pope of CoCK, PSP, CW, KSC, FP, GH, MORBJ

Q: How serious are you about this whole "Discordian" thing?
A: A blue fish Tuesday!
Q: No really, it this, like, deeply philosphical, or just a huge joke?
A: Yes.

Slarti

but i mean, this girl, in 9th grade honors bio, doesn't even understand the bohr model of the atom!!!!!!!!!!

"so what, the protons and neutrons are like, the sun, and the electrons spin around like planets? So parts of me are moving right now! That doesn't make sense!"

SMFabal

Oh, the Bohr model. Well, yeah that doesn't make any sense, really. I mean it's a 2d static model of a 3d dynamic system. It also fails to account for electron sub-orbits, and the electron shell priciple, it completely falls apart when applied to lanthinides and actinides (electrons end up in the wrong orbital shells) ... I'm such a geek ... tell her "Each electron is more like a fan blade - go stick you hand in that moving fan to see how solid it can be" :twisted: It works!

SMFabal

You could have eevn more fun explaining how electons orbit nuclei, Atoms orbit each other in molecules, molecules orbit each other in protiens, protiens orbit the neclues of cells, cells shift around within tissues, tissues shift as the body moves, bodies orbit the planet, the planet orbits the sun, the sun orbit the galaxy, the galaxy orbits Galactic central point, and GCP shift throught space over time. :and breath:

Slarti

lol. i try not to talk to her.

Trollax

Quote from: Vroomfondelbut i mean, this girl, in 9th grade honors bio, doesn't even understand the bohr model of the atom!!!!!!!!!!

What I don't get is this, I went to a selective high school (for smart people) and they never even taught us about bhor other than the basics.

I mean there are those huge equations, the four quantum numbers, the Zeeman effect... all the interesting stuff I was learning on my own time... from the library. I went to school to learn about stuff, not pass assignments, one of the reasons I failed 11th grade  :D
heh, I know more about all sorts of stuff than the people that got 98.00 in their HSC... HAH!
That's you're goddamn day right there! Oh don't screw with us... we know what day is the final day, and then it is so over.

Slarti

how long ago were you in high school?

Trollax

Quote from: Vroomfondelhow long ago were you in high school?

this time three years ago I havd been out for just 3 months

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: Joinee St. Trollax, ODD
Quote from: Vroomfondelhow long ago were you in high school?

this time three years ago I havd been out for just 3 months

lucky you. no. i mean that. lucky you.
Hell is other people.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Proud mommy story:

Supergirl has crazy awesome hair. It is made of dandelions or something, it poofs naturally. So, she gets really spectacular effects from static. Over dinner one night I asked if she remembered what causes static, and she said no, so we got out a sheet of paper and drew out the bohr model again and discussed how sometimes electrons go flying off and the atom isn't "happy" until it can steal one back and rebalance itself. (I believe anthropomorphizing* forces is totally age-appropriate at 6.) She felt somewhat comfortable with that notion, but asked a question that made it clear that she was conflating cells with atoms, so I drew out a person, a cell, a molecule (DNA), and an atom. Obviously, there's no good way to communicate the orders of magnitude at that age, but she now had the hierarchical structure down. We also talked about the particles that make up an atom, the protons and neutrons in the nucleus and the electrons in their orbits.

So she looks up at me and goes "what makes up a particle?"
And I tell her "Quarks, but they're really complicated."
"What makes them complicated?"
So, out comes the laptop and we spend about twenty minutes looking at Wikipedia articles about spin and charm and up and color before she turns to me and says "Mommy, quarks are complicated!"

*Further evidence to this point: after discussing what anthropomorphizing means, I asked her if she was aware of any times that she may have done it. She said no, but a couple days later was very excited to inform me that one of her classmates had anthropomorphized the computer by saying it didn't like him.