Victim mentality

Started by Cain, April 29, 2008, 01:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roo

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Guan Yin on May 08, 2008, 06:38:16 PM
Quote from: hunter s.durden on May 08, 2008, 05:24:30 PM
Quote from: Guan Yin on May 08, 2008, 01:41:34 AM
"Holding the victim accountable" is referring to the idea that we are each responsible for our own lives...something that I think has often been lost or waylaid in modern society.

Like rape victims?

Sure. Just like rape victims.

[/sarcasm]

No, no, no, you need to come up with something Captain Double Standard.

How are Holocaust victims responsible for their own fate, but rape victims are innocent bystanders that deserve immediate fierce justice?
This space for rent.

LMNO

Roo

Quote from: hunter s.durden on May 08, 2008, 06:55:43 PM
Quote from: Guan Yin on May 08, 2008, 06:38:16 PM
Quote from: hunter s.durden on May 08, 2008, 05:24:30 PM
Quote from: Guan Yin on May 08, 2008, 01:41:34 AM
"Holding the victim accountable" is referring to the idea that we are each responsible for our own lives...something that I think has often been lost or waylaid in modern society.

Like rape victims?

Sure. Just like rape victims.

[/sarcasm]

No, no, no, you need to come up with something Captain Double Standard.

How are Holocaust victims responsible for their own fate, but rape victims are innocent bystanders that deserve immediate fierce justice?

No, no, no, I don't.  :wink:

But since you asked nicely, I will.

Are they responsible for their fate (as in being forced into concentration camps...worked, starved, gassed to death...etc.)? No. Absolutely not. The Nazis were responsible for that. But were they responsible for their lives? Yes. For where they lived, how they raised their children, how they felt and behaved, and what they chose to leave behind as a legacy. The same is true of rape victims, domestic abuse victims, and every other kind of victim we have on this planet.

My point is that many times, the simple application of the label "victim" automatically invokes a specific reaction and expectation in 'non-victims'. Often pity and sympathy, followed quickly by "you don't have to do that, I'll take care of it for you." Some people learn to use that to their advantage, and have what we're calling the "victim mentality", which they frequently pass on to their children and grandchildren.

Second, this "victim mentality", beyond perpetuating itself, is contributing to the general fuckedupedness of America (and probably the rest of the world). Part of the identity of victimhood is to pass the buck as much as possible. If large groups of people can be convinced that they're being victimized, they'll happily give up whatever you ask them to, so long as they believe the victimization will stop.

Third, even when something traumatic has happened to someone, they have the choice to remain a victim or not. Every single person I've known who went through the Holocaust, was a survivor. Not a scrap of "poor me" about them. To them, the victims were the ones that died.

Guan Yin
-sticking to apple talk and discordian recipes after this

hunter s.durden

This was all that was needed:

"I'm a huge hypocrite."

You proudly wave the banner of "rape survivor", but don't allow Jews to do the same.
This space for rent.

Roo

Quote from: hunter s.durden on May 08, 2008, 08:58:27 PM
This was all that was needed:

"I'm a huge hypocrite."

You proudly wave the banner of "rape survivor", but don't allow Jews to do the same.

Should ALL Jews ALWAYS "proudly wave the banner" of surviving the Holocaust?
Are Jews SUPPOSED to be victims?
Should they be proud of their victim status?

hunter s.durden

No more than you should.
This space for rent.

Roo

Quote from: hunter s.durden on May 08, 2008, 09:31:50 PM
No more than you should.

Fair enough.

Guan Yin
-wonders what skeletons are hiding in HSD's closet.

hunter s.durden

Basically I'm missing how this:

Quote from: Guan Yin on April 16, 2008, 03:58:29 PM
Regardless of the race factor...making rape a capital crime might be a step in the right direction.

Roo,
survivor.

...differs terribly from a Jew complaining.
This space for rent.

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Guan Yin on May 08, 2008, 09:34:38 PM
Guan Yin

I'll bet you are.

Not sure what it's supposed to mean, but if you have an major inquiries, I'm always around.
This space for rent.

Roo

Quote from: hunter s.durden on May 08, 2008, 09:35:32 PM
Basically I'm missing how this:

Quote from: Guan Yin on April 16, 2008, 03:58:29 PM
Regardless of the race factor...making rape a capital crime might be a step in the right direction.

Roo,
survivor.

...differs terribly from a Jew complaining.

When did I ever say there was a difference? Or that they have no right to complain?

Also, what if I'd never mentioned the survivor bit? How would that change your perception of me?

hunter s.durden

Well, you look down on Wal-mart workers as some kind of peasants, despite the fact that you are unemployed and contribute nothing to society. Hypocrisy.

Except your idiotic analysis of 9-11 "the troothers have a point!" Idiocy.

I'm pretty sure my perception of you wouldn't be all that different.

This space for rent.

Roo

Quote from: hunter s.durden on May 08, 2008, 09:36:51 PM
Quote from: Guan Yin on May 08, 2008, 09:34:38 PM
Guan Yin

I'll bet you are.

Not sure what it's supposed to mean, but if you have an major inquiries, I'm always around.

Eh. Just that for a long time, being raped was the skeleton in my closet, and it's always influenced the way I see the world and people around me. So wondering what skeletons are in your closet means I'm curious what fucked up shit has influenced your life, if any. *shrugs* it's not something I'm expecting you to answer...just kind of pointing out that we all have our demons and hypocrises.

Roo

Quote from: hunter s.durden on May 08, 2008, 09:46:46 PM
Well, you look down on Wal-mart workers as some kind of peasants, despite the fact that you are unemployed and contribute nothing to society. Hypocrisy.

Except your idiotic analysis of 9-11 "the troothers have a point!" Idiocy.

I'm pretty sure my perception of you wouldn't be all that different.

Oh, I'm one of the peasants too. I just don't work at Wal-Mart. And what about you? What allows you to spend your days posting on PD.com?

So you think I'm an idiot. I see. Well, this is why I'm one of the peasants, and not one of those analysis "experts" you see on TV.

hunter s.durden

I don't do anything. I'm insane. I spend my days staring into space and contemplating "life."

But I don't look down my nose at others that do the same.

We went over that. You're going to find this difficult if you're not going to be more observant.
This space for rent.