News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

The Appendix of a Novel: Why?

Started by hooplala, May 01, 2008, 07:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Novels with appendices... are they necessary?  If the material is truly important, it should be in the actual story, no?

Opinions?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hunter s.durden

Books are like people.

If you don't like it, rip it out.
This space for rent.

LMNO

I enjoyed the appendicies of Infinite Jest more than the book itself.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on May 01, 2008, 07:42:45 PM
I enjoyed the appendicies of Infinite Jest more than the book itself.

What was their function in the novel?  Were they central to the plot?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Obviously, you've never read Infinite Jest.

That's not a dis-- it's actually incredibly difficult to describe a "plot" of any sort.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on May 01, 2008, 08:19:02 PM
Obviously, you've never read Infinite Jest.

That's not a dis-- it's actually incredibly difficult to describe a "plot" of any sort.

No, I've actually never even heard of it, that I can recall.

A book I am working on was going to include appendices, but a few friends tried to nix the idea... which is why I am asking for opinions.  As I've said before, I prefer the appendices of Illuminatus to the rest of the book...

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hunter s.durden

You like it?

Why consider not having them then?

Fuck people's opinions.
This space for rent.

Suu

In my opinion, the appendices are like a collective of notes that could have created too much of a distraction in the main novelization, but is still valuable data to the storyline...IF you want to read them.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

If it's a heavily plot-driven story that relies on massive amounts of backstory and history that will get in the way, use an appendix. 

Or you can use it in a very post-modern way, and mess with the form.  Cf: the footnotes in Discworld & The Widow's Son, Infinite Jest, et al.

hooplala

Quote from: hunter s.durden on May 01, 2008, 08:32:33 PM
You like it?

Fuck people's opinions.

This is what I've been thinking... but I have a strange irrational fear of being considered pretentious.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on May 01, 2008, 08:35:59 PM
If it's a heavily plot-driven story that relies on massive amounts of backstory and history that will get in the way, use an appendix. 

Or you can use it in a very post-modern way, and mess with the form.  Cf: the footnotes in Discworld & The Widow's Son, Infinite Jest, et al.

Not really plot heavy, but there IS a lot of backstory.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: Hoopla on May 01, 2008, 08:39:59 PM
Quote from: LMNO on May 01, 2008, 08:35:59 PM

Not really plot heavy, but there IS a lot of backstory.

Will it get in the way, can you incorporate it into the main story?

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Hoopla on May 01, 2008, 08:39:16 PM
Quote from: hunter s.durden on May 01, 2008, 08:32:33 PM
You like it?

Fuck people's opinions.

This is what I've been thinking... but I have a strange irrational fear of being considered pretentious.

Too late.

There, fear gone, go write.
This space for rent.

e

Appendices are cool.  Also, you should strive to be as pretentious as possible!

Golden Applesauce

I liked the footnotes in the Bartimaeus Trilogy and the Discworld series.  But an appendix in the back...

The only time I've ever encountered such a thing was in LoTR, and it really felt like TMI.  Cool, a short story about Arwen and Aragorn.  Publish it in your Tales of Middle Earth anthology.  And whole alphabets?  Multiple alphabets?  That's just excessive now.

If one can read your book, skip the appendix, and not lose much enjoyment, the index probably is a waste.

On the other hand, WoT really could have used an index so I could keep all 600 named characters straight.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.