News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Rev Roger, Year of the Rat #8: That Joke Isn't Funny, Anymore.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 05, 2008, 11:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

There's always an excuse.

When politicians decide they need to pass some odious legislation, there's always an excuse.  "We need it to combat terrorism", they say, "We need it to protect you.  Problem is, they never explain who is going to protect us from them...Or even, in some cases, who exactly they are protecting us from.

Take, for example, Section 1076.  Most of you have probably never heard of Section 1076, because it's one of those nasty little pieces of work that they jammed through while you were enthralled with Terri Schiavo, or Mark Foley, or Laci Peterson.

What Section 1076 does is allow the president to declare martial law in case of a terrorist attack, rebellion - so far so good, but goes on to include conspiracy or a "shortfall of public order".  The last two terms are not defined by the legislation.

So basically, the president can, at his sole discretion, declare martial law if he believes there is a conspiracy, or if what he perceives as "public order" isn't up to his - and only his - standards.

Ho ho!  Are you ready for that?  Are you ready for military-enforced draconian law, just because the president believes that some pesky protesters should shut the hell up, or because he feels that there is a conspiracy for pesky protesters to not shut the hell up?  By the wording of this section, the president could declare martial law at a WTO protest.  You think Seattle was bad?  Har har!  You haven't seen anything yet.

We are told that this legislation will only be used for combating terrorism, domestic and foreign, etc.  We are told to trust them...Just like we were told to trust them with the Patriot Act, which was only to be used on terrorists.  Oddly enough, one of the main uses for the Patriot Act is to arrest music pirates...so, by their word, Little Billy downloading the latest Evanescence single qualifies him as a terrorist.

But what of it?  I mean, it's all in the interests of the Perfect Stateā„¢, right?  And when you're out to build something like that, sometimes you have to - in the words of the oath-breaking scumbag Ollie North - "break a few constitutional eggs".  Or maybe you have to break a few citizens...but they were noisy protesters who block traffic anyway, so to hell with them, right?

Well, I have an opinion on that.

The president has said, "You're either with us, or you're against us."  Well, Mister President, I have to say that I am against you.  I am against you and everything you stand for, because I have always preferred a republic - with all its inherent dangers - over the "safety" and "protection" you offer...Because, you see, we've heard this joke before.  Bismark told it, Hitler told it, Mussolini told it, hell, even Uncle Joe Stalin told it.

And it wasn't funny any of those times, either.

So I guess it's time we told a few jokes of our own.  And we have lots of jokes, don't we, friends?

Or kill me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

your rants make me go  :argh!:

then  :lulz:

but but but look--

we've just gotta ride this out, right? I mean, soon we'll have some goodly politician ride in on a white horse and start to undo all this, right?

someone to patch up our foreign policy and clean up our reputation? someone to put a trampoline under the freefalling dollar? someone to put everything back how it was before 9/11?

If the majority wants their freedom back, politicians will eventually make it their platform, right? And then we can just elect him or her, and we can go back to sleep.

See everything's gonna be just fine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on May 06, 2008, 01:35:04 AM

we've just gotta ride this out, right? I mean, soon we'll have some goodly politician ride in on a white horse and start to undo all this, right?

I see no reason why that HAS to occur.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rong on May 06, 2008, 01:53:19 AM
man, evanescence sucks.

And Evanescence was, of course, the whole point of the article.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

Eat a dick, troll.

rong

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rong on May 06, 2008, 02:11:00 AM
oh - you almost got me.

Okay.  I think we're done here.

At least until you start a thread.  Then I return the favor. 

See ya then, fucktard!

rong

well, now that that's out of the way - i guess i didn't understand that you're only allowed to say "AMEN" in the "or kill me thread"

i was NOT trying to derail this thread. 

i only posted the evanescence comment because i thought it was the only room for debate.  i.e. you're pretty much preaching to the choir, no?  i seriously doubt anyone on this forum would disagree with you.  save for "why would little billy download evanescence?"  i couldn't help it.  of the thousands of bands, why did you choose evanescence?  it was just too much.  anyhow - no offense meant.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rong on May 06, 2008, 03:07:33 AM
well, now that that's out of the way - i guess i didn't understand that you're only allowed to say "AMEN" in the "or kill me thread"

Nobody said that, moron.  However, look at your initial reply, and tell me exactly what argument you were raising besides "ZOMG I MADE A POST!  I'M SO FUCKING CLEVER LOLOLOLOL!!!"

But maybe I'm wrong.  If so, I am sure you can explain the argument with the thread topic that you were trying to raise.

i was NOT trying to derail this thread. 

Don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining, jackass.

i only posted the evanescence comment because i thought it was the only room for debate.

Lemme get this straight:  You thought that a satirical reference to an emo band was a subject for DEBATE?

Pull the other one, Screwy, it has bells.

i.e. you're pretty much preaching to the choir, no? 

Assuming that's true, did you ever think that might be to use this forum as a sounding board before using the piece elsewhere?  Or did you just fucking assume that I took the time to write it in anticipation of some fucktard saying "ZOMG!  EVANESCENCE IS TEH SUXXOR!!!1111@#"?  Yeah, that's why I wrote that page and a half.  So you could show how 733t you are.

i seriously doubt anyone on this forum would disagree with you.  save for "why would little billy download evanescence?"  i couldn't help it.  of the thousands of bands, why did you choose evanescence?  it was just too much. 

I CHOSE THEM BECAUSE WE'D ALREADY DONE NIGHTWISH AND MCR.

You'd have known that, if you'd looked around before shitting all over someone's thread for your own pathetic amusement.

anyhow - no offense meant.

Which is why you posted what you did in Apple Talk.

:lulz:

I may have been born in the dark, but it wasn't last night.

The Good Reverend Roger

Adios

Because it has to be done by someone who knows what the hell they are doing.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on May 06, 2008, 03:26:15 AM
Because it has to be done by someone who knows what the hell they are doing.

Okay, you do it.

I'm tired of this shit.  You spend a while grunting out some hate shitting, hell, two in one day, and for what?  So some piece of trash can come along and ZOMG it?

Fuck that. Someone else can take a turn for a while.  Hell, Cain does a great job.