News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Saturn.

Started by Suu, May 09, 2008, 03:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on May 21, 2009, 05:04:05 PM
Well, ok, but the number of megapixels in a camera doesn't guarantee a high-quality picture because the quality of the lens and other components are also important.

LOL VODKA ATOMS
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

BUMP.

That's a real composite image from Cassini, by the way, not an artist's rendition.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Damn this thread...

Infrared of Uranus and moons Titania, Umbriel, Miranda, Ariel, and Oberon from 2002. It's kinda cool how the infrared makes the rings pop when they're usually invisible.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jasper

The previous one, is that UV light surrounding it?

Kai

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 30, 2010, 01:59:28 AM
The previous one, is that UV light surrounding it?

The Saturn or Uranus? Pretty sure the Saturn is visible only.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Saturn.  I was curious because that fluffy white stuff around the outside looks unreal.

If it's visible only, that's amazing.  What is that stuff?  I don't know.  All I know is that it looks like magic.

Kai

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 30, 2010, 02:26:45 AM
Saturn.  I was curious because that fluffy white stuff around the outside looks unreal.

If it's visible only, that's amazing.  What is that stuff?  I don't know.  All I know is that it looks like magic.

It's glare, mostly. The planet's a damn big ball of reflective gas and ice. Think of how the Pale Blue Dot has Earth suspended in lens flare.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Okay, yeah I can see that.  It's still quite striking.

Nephew Twiddleton

Heard something interesting on the science channel today. Apparently, Saturn's ring system is going to start disappearing, but around that same time, one of Neptunes moons (Triton, I think), will be ripped appart and form a significant ring system for Neptune.

Now that would be the best of all the gas giants. Turbulence like Jupiter (creating spots), Neptune's pretty methane color, and a Saturn like ring system.

Granted, this is in about a billion years, but it's nice to picture.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

It's true. Every planet in the solar system is cooler than us.

Well...Except for Venus and Mercury. :rimshot:

Here's a beautiful enhanced photo of Venus:

I remember being able to look out my telescope early in the morning and get great shots of Venus, sometimes as clear as this shot from Galileo:

I don't know why I fell out of love with astronomy...Probably because I realized it was 90% fucking math.