News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Butter beans

Started by Faust, May 09, 2008, 06:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

whats a good way to cook butter beans, so far I have chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, dill, salt and pepper, and at a friends suggestion an orange rind to put in the beans sauce
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

LMNO

That recipie works for so many ingredients.

Nast

I would make a sofrito sauce (just sauté the garlic, onions, and tomatoes together), and simmer the beans and some sort of finely chopped green along with it (kale, dandelion greens, or even spinach).

Or, one could even make some buttah beanz wit skrimpz!
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jenne

Dunno about the dill, per se, but everything else sounds like teh yum.

Sir Squid Diddimus

my mom used to just heat em up, throw some butter on em and smoosh em.

i hated them for so long.

my parents cant cook for shit. i used to hate dinner!
:argh!:

Roo

Heh. I had to look up what 'butter beans' are...around here we call them lima beans.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Guan Yin on May 10, 2008, 07:23:09 PM
Heh. I had to look up what 'butter beans' are...around here we call them lima beans.

Lima beans are smaller and greener than butter beans IIRC. Same family I'd imagine.  My mom used to serve us lima beans sometimes with dinner, which, while I wouldn't go out of my way to eat now, I don't mind if they're there.  My mom never had us eat butter beans, which my dad used to eat all the time and however they were cooked, it used to stink up the whole house. Pretty sure it was just butter and the beans since my dad used to have them sometimes as a snack. I hate butter beans.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Roo

For anyone who was still wondering what the difference is, but is too lazy to look it up...

Butter beans, sometimes called lima beans, are a seed, and are considered a vegetable. They are of the genus and species Phaseolus lunatus, and have two main varieties. The first variety is a large slightly curved flat green bean that those in the Southern US would refer to as lima beans or the lima type. A second type of P. lunatus has smaller seeds and is often called the sieva type. When Southern US cuisine mentions butter beans, they are referring to the smaller sieva seed.

The lima bean appears to have first been cultivated in the Andes, while the smaller butter beans were more commonly grown in Mexico. Both styles are grown harvested from seedpods, where in fresh form they're commonly green. There are some variant colors, among them red and orange. Because they are usually picked before ripening, you'll find most "fresh" beans in a green color. The smaller lima beans are about .4 inches (1 cm) long, and larger variety lima beans can be about 1.18 inches (3 cm) in length.

There are slight differences in nutritional value between butter and lima beans. Butter beans have tiny amounts of fat, are higher in iron, and are slightly higher in calories. Both types of beans are excellent choices though. While you can find butter beans dried, frozen or canned, they are most preferred as a fresh vegetable side dish. They take about 20 minutes to steam, and are usually served with a pat of butter and a little salt/pepper and herbs.

You can find fresh butter beans in the US from late spring through the early parts of summer. Since they are popular, both versions of the bean are grown in other countries and may be imported at other times of the year. You can also usually find frozen butter beans, which make a good substitute when fresh beans are not in season.

In Northern US grocery stores, you'll have better luck looking for lima beans, since quite frequently, butter beans is strictly a southern cooking term. Either large or small lima beans can make for lots of interesting dishes, and needn't be restricted as merely a side dish. A lima bean casserole makes for a hearty vegetarian dish, and can easily be cooked in a crock-pot. Lima beans may be added to soups, to salads, or to a variety of other dishes. In the south, there are even many recipes for butter bean pie, which has a similar consistency and flavor to sweet potato pie.

Well that makes more sense now. I still don't like 'em, but maybe I just haven't had them cooked right.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Dried or canned?

I cook most dried beans with the same basics, bacon, garlic and pepper.  Once they are to a nearly edible consistancy, then I add whatever spices.  I don't do dill or add tomatoes but hey....

If canned, cook a slice of bacon or saltpork in your pan.  Saute your onions and garlic in grease.  Add beans.  Simmer for 20 minutes or so.