News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

ECH:

Started by hooplala, May 13, 2008, 02:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Is there a reasonable way to cook a steak in a frying pan or skillet?

BVH
-finally using this forum for something!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

Mr. Suu does...but he's Puerto Rican and seasons the FUCK out of it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Suu! on May 13, 2008, 03:21:58 AM
Mr. Suu does...but he's Puerto Rican and seasons salts the FUCK out of it.

fixt  :wink:

LMNO

Quote from: Hoopla on May 13, 2008, 02:04:10 AM
Is there a reasonable way to cook a steak in a frying pan or skillet?

BVH
-finally using this forum for something!

Yes.

AFK

Take it to Bobby Flay and say "pretty please?"
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

For the record, I'm ignoring all replies which come from anyone other than ECH.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Fine, then you'll miss a real answer.

If you're looking for the Millard effect (the sear), then you need to bring a heavy skillet (preferrably cast iron) to an incredibly high temperature. 

Take some oil (vegetable is nice, as it has a really high smoke point), and smear it on the steak.  Use your hands.  Feel slightly perverted doing so.

Then, season it heavily with kosher salt and black pepper.

Put it in the wickedly hot skillet.  DO NOT TOUCH IT.  Wait 4 minutes (assuming steak is 1.5" thick).  Turn it over.  Wait another 3 minutes. 

Remove, let rest 5 minutes.  It will be rare, with a nice crust.

On the other hand, Michael Schlow uses low heat, and an oven.

Preheat the oven to 300F

Chop some thyme and rosemary, anout 2 Tb.  Salt and pepper the steak.

Put olive oil in an iron skillet and put it over medium heat for just a minute or so ... counter-intuitively, you do not want to sear the meat. It shouldn't even sizzle.  Srsly.

Put in the seasoned steak, and cook it gently for just one minute on each side. Sprinkle on about half the herbs, melt some butter in the pan, and turn the steak once or twice, adding the rest of the herbs, until coated on both sides with butter and herbs.

Put the steak on a wire rack in a shallow roasting pan. Pour butter/herbs on top of the steak. Roast at 300F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the temperature at the center of the steak reads 120F it should feel very soft to a finger touch. Remove and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

East Coast Hustle

you were right on the mark with the first part.

you should probably be shot for appearing to advocate the second part, but it's your gob so you can put whatever foul concoction you see fit into it.

also, for best results you should use cracked black pepper, not ground black pepper.

also also, this works better for some cuts than others. Great for tenderloin, good for ribeye or strip, acceptable for sirloin if it's a small enough cut. Not much use for the cheaper cuts (which can be great but almost always need to be braised) unless you like chewing on shoe leather.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

Ah, thank you to both of you.

Is there a big difference in taste between kosher salt and regular table salt?  I honestly have no idea.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Hoops: Yes.

ECH: Considering Schlow owns more and better restaraunts than you (Radius, Via Matta, Great Bay), I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

East Coast Hustle

I don't care if he takes over Le Bernardin. I'm not down with the concept of soft, un-seared, ovened steak.

and...I get to bust you out for being wrong! :hammer:

Hoops: no, there's not any discernable difference in taste in the salt itself. The difference is in the size of the salt crystals and their relative properties in promoting moisture retention in the meat.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

ECH: Since there's no way in hell I'm taking you to Radius, I guess we're at an impass.

East Coast Hustle

I'll tell you what...

If I make as much loot outta this gig as I think I'm gonna, I'll take YOU to Radius.

Where is Radius?

LMNO

hooplala

Can I come too, since I started the whole thing??  :D

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman