News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Decagons are regular. Oregons are fucking dull.

Started by BootyBay, May 13, 2008, 08:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BootyBay

Oregon is stupid.

That being said, let's look at some of our "go go gadget green" policies.

1) Kill sea lions for salmon! (We can't take out the dams because Al Gore is God - i.e. Global Warming implies any negative effect on the temperature of the planet must be avoided at all costs, even the survival of another species)

2) Abandon plastic grocery bags! (Paper bags, unless certified by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative, cost 3 times as much to make as plastic ones and pose their own, unique threats to the environment. Re-usable bags are just too darned practical for us to think about using)

3) Build a bike-only bridge across the river! (Oops! I guess that was just gonna be too costly; citizens complained. So, that one's toast. We all know that the only good ideas are popular ideas)

Those are the only three I can think of now, but I assure you that more equally stupid ideas are out there. We (Oregonians, that is) are simply making a symbolic act to save the Earth. So why not just sit out in the 120 degree weather, sipping a margarita and letting greenhouse gases bring the planet to a boil? That would be a more honest symbol of our efforts to stop global warming.

To all you baby boomers feeling self-righteous about the fact you finally own a Prius, you're too late.  You should've listened to your kids back in the 90's, but you wrote them off because Nirvana was too loud & obnoxious, unlike your precious Rolling Stones collection.  And now the only thing you can truly feel self-righteous about is the fact that your parents were even worse about environmental things.  Way to go,
hippies.
There are two kinds of people in this world.. Winners and losers.. I think we know which kind you are.

AFK

Maine's had it's fair share or wacky ideas aimed at saving the environment.  The wackiest of which was to enact a deposit on cigarettes, and then give a refund on returned butts ala soda bottles/cans.  I'm dead serious, this actually went into law, but was quickly repealed when they realised how impractical it was. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

In Ohio, we apparently don't give a shit about the environment.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Dysfunctional Cunt

I don't think we care much in MO either.  Especially STL.

But then we can't piss off the almighty budweiser yanno...

e

zero_day

Fuck the environment.

It snowed in Baghdad for the first time in 100 years this year.

Iowa had the coldest winter it's had in years.

Fuck Al Gore.

He did not invent the internet.

But I'm pretty sure he made up global warming.
IliketolieinthegrassandwatchtheantsandwishIwereoneofthemintheirundergoundmazesosafefromthedarknessofpeoplehorriblepeople
Iwillkillthemallkilltheantskillthepeoplekilleverything

Idem

Quote from: zero_day on May 14, 2008, 05:55:31 AM
Fuck the environment.

It snowed in Baghdad for the first time in 100 years this year.

Iowa had the coldest winter it's had in years.

Fuck Al Gore.

He did not invent the internet.

But I'm pretty sure he made up global warming.
:kingmeh:

Cainad (dec.)

:lol: Because "global warming" means we're all gonna be walking around in shorts all seasons, right? It's not like weather is a complicated system or anything...

AFK

Well if Global Warming means having 12 feet of snow in my backyard every winter then goddamn this is really, really going to suck. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jenne

Hey, CA may be all kinds of fucked up, but I'm proud to be part of a lawsuit that is suing the fucking Feds over our rights to pursue and put into effect environment-friendly policies.

Cramulus

prediction
In 50 years....
either

A) People in the super-polluted future will regard the society of the late 20th century and early 21st century as BARBARIANS who had NO REGARD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT. They will look down their noses at us like we look down at slavers and mysogynists of centuries past. IT'S YOUR FAULT WE LIVE IN A GREENHOUSE.

or

B) In 50 years we will not stop polluting at this rate, and the environment will actually be okay. We will remember the green movement as a BUNCH OF CONDESCENDING, TRENDY SNOBS

Jenne

I'se a TRENDY SNOB!  :D

Not yet, but we're getting there.  Our recycling-to-trash ratio is 2:1 at this point--and that's probably skewed b/c we recycle our greenery too.

e

Scientists ran some simulations that showed a rise of 1 meter in our current sea level by the end of the century.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7349236.stm

Random Probability

News Flash:  If the last three interglacials are any indication (not like the earth has cyclic weather patterns or anything), then we are due for a 30 meter rise in sea level before we slide back into the next ice age.

The problem here is that the people with the money invented a new money game (carbon trading) and they aren't going to stop playing it until it runs out of money.

Edit: Oh, and Oregon is full of fail.