News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Cain: Book Question.

Started by LMNO, May 14, 2008, 04:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Before that too.  I mean well before you would expect it.

LMNO

e

the Instructions of Shuruppak?

Cain

Maybe not quite that old... :)

Dido

You weren´t talking about Ulysses? Oops.

DORADA

Ulyses is very difficult for me I'm not sure understand it

Cain

Quote from: Dido on May 16, 2008, 05:26:53 PM
You weren´t talking about Ulysses? Oops.

Nah, I've never read Ulysses.  I have an e-book somewhere, and probably will, one day....

It was something I saw while messing around on Wikipedia, following random links to strange and rarely seen entries.

Cain

I think I conflated two different books.  The storyline I had in mind was a book by Georges Perec, but the book itself was something I read about on Wikipedia.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: DORADA on May 17, 2008, 07:15:32 AM
No one understands James Joyce.  They only pretend like they do.

It's in Project Gutenberg, btw:  http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4300
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Dido

I know several English Lit students who believe (or not, I did not question them that closely) they understand Joyce and they must have understood something I did not because I find his books enormously entertaining (not that I ever finished one) and they don't.

Dido

Perec sounds quite frightfully artistic. So to say. Anything you would recommend for that (very very) distant future when I will again have time to read?

Cain

I really haven't read much high literature lately - the last one I did read was The Count of Monte Cristo, which is admittedly pretty incredible.  But I do like Dumas.  His heroes have tendencies to be scoundrels, in one way or another, not below a certain level of trickery and ingenuity, which I like.

e

Hooray for Dumas!  He remains to this day one of the reasons I want to re-learn my atrophied French.  But only so I can go around shouting things like "Sacré Foi!"

For reading, I recommend a collection of Borges stories if you haven't already read anything by him.  Gabriel Garcia Marquez is also quite entertaining.  Another good author is Milan Kundera, who's absolutely wonderful.  My favourite by him, I think, is The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

(Can you tell that I like teh po-moz?)

I've always been pretty sure that the whole point of Ulysses was that it was largely incomprehensible.  Though I'm sure if you sit there and study it for 10 years and do nothing else you could understand it.  Lying and pretending to understand it is also probably fashionable in lit student circles.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on May 18, 2008, 02:23:42 AM
Quote from: DORADA on May 17, 2008, 07:15:32 AM
No one understands James Joyce.  They only pretend like they do.

Yeah! Books is sposed to have stories and stuff! Joyce makes my brain pan do work!
   \
:mullet:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Dido

I meant if there was anything by Perec you would recommend.

I liked Dumas, detested Kundera (I was young and excitable;-) and thought Borges interesting. Marquez? Yeah, I once bought "100 years of solitude" as after-break-up lecture for a friend.