News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Cram's Game Corner

Started by Cramulus, May 14, 2008, 07:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wade

you got the guy to actually run?  best I could do was hop along...
REALLY real discordians

i wouldnt hurt a fly
:thumb: :kojak:

Cramulus

Auditorium
Play Now

Auditorium is a puzzle game in which you redirect beams of particles to hit targets. It's a pretty simple game that doesn't need much explanation. Overall, I found it enjoyable both because of the interesting puzzles, and the music you produce by hitting targets.

Cramulus

I made this, you play this, we are enemies

This game is a sidescroller art-game. All the game's art is collage made from screenshots from google, amazon, ebay, and other popular websites. There's a lot of chaos going on, but there is an overall sort of, hm, story? message? something that goes on from the beginning to the end (about 10-15 minutes of gameplay, tops). It's very incoherent but there's a sort of marked countercultural bent. Anyway, it's interesting, so if you're in the mood for something weird, give it a try.

Edited to add:

whoops, forgot the link:
PLAY NOW

Cainad (dec.)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I can't play that game, it's like being back at Burning Man.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

That was like watching an episode of "Sliders" done in notebook doodles with a high fever.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Alfred Rhazi

Oy, gamer-spags. Help me understand this phenomenon:

.Gamers dislike tutorial levels. Psychonauts is one-half tutorial level. It got good reviews and I liked it.

.Gamers dislike long, flow-breaking cutscences. MGS 4, from what I hear, was little but. It got good reviews.

.Gamers dislike FPS games that rely on agility, for the very sane reason that you can't see your fucking feet. Mirror's Edge is all agility. It got good reviews.

.The kicker: Portal is three-quarters tutorial level, and technically one big FPS jumping puzzle. I liked it, and it got such good reviews that it has become synonymous with good game design. WTF?

The only solution I can think of is that, oh my Goddess, the Bush administration were right in their unspoken assumption that if you did enough of something stupid, it stopped being stupid. Help?
-Everyone says I'm very gullible. Should I believe them?-

-If you have any idea what I'm attempting to communicate here, you're either wrong or a telepath.-

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Alfred Rhazi on December 14, 2008, 11:29:50 AM
Oy, gamer-spags. Help me understand this phenomenon:

.Gamers dislike tutorial levels. Psychonauts is one-half tutorial level. It got good reviews and I liked it.

.Gamers dislike long, flow-breaking cutscences. MGS 4, from what I hear, was little but. It got good reviews.

.Gamers dislike FPS games that rely on agility, for the very sane reason that you can't see your fucking feet. Mirror's Edge is all agility. It got good reviews.

.The kicker: Portal is three-quarters tutorial level, and technically one big FPS jumping puzzle. I liked it, and it got such good reviews that it has become synonymous with good game design. WTF?

The only solution I can think of is that, oh my Goddess, the Bush administration were right in their unspoken assumption that if you did enough of something stupid, it stopped being stupid. Help?

Or perhaps these games had some really good qualities that make the irritating bits not noticeable?  Because there are plenty of terrible games that nobody likes that have none of those bad bits.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Dr. Paes

.Gamers dislike tutorial levels.
.Gamers dislike long, flow-breaking cutscences.
.Gamers dislike FPS games that rely on agility.

:cn:

.Sombunal gamers like tutorial levels, if they are well designed and move smoothly into the game.

.MSG4's cutscenes did well at keeping the player immersed in the game, they played a key role in it being so well received, and are part of the style of the series. Rather than being "long flow-breaking" cutscenes, the game flowed better for them.

.Sombunal gamers dislike FPS games that rely on agility.

Source: Being a gamer who doesn't fit the 'Gamers dislike X' model.

Alfred Rhazi

Quote from: Paesior on December 14, 2008, 12:21:11 PM
.Gamers dislike tutorial levels.
.Gamers dislike long, flow-breaking cutscences.
.Gamers dislike FPS games that rely on agility.

:cn:

.Sombunal gamers like tutorial levels, if they are well designed and move smoothly into the game.

.MSG4's cutscenes did well at keeping the player immersed in the game, they played a key role in it being so well received, and are part of the style of the series. Rather than being "long flow-breaking" cutscenes, the game flowed better for them.

.Sombunal gamers dislike FPS games that rely on agility.

Source: Being a gamer who doesn't fit the 'Gamers dislike X' model.

Well, I got pwned. I was using, as a model, most of the videogame rants I've read/heard on the net, and my own experience (I actually like tutorial levels for some reason, but I'm not a big fan of the other two).

-If you have any idea what I'm attempting to communicate here, you're either wrong or a telepath.-

Alfred Rhazi

Anyway. Time to use this thread for it's actual purpose.

IMMORTAL DEFENSE

It's a fun game I played through, which eventually turns into a very well-executed mindfuck during the later campaigns. The first third of the game is free; after that, you have to pay. Which is sad, because it only really gets good in story terms after the half-way mark; its creators seem to have failed to grasp the concept that selling MORE games is a GOOD THING.

[spambot]

After the two free campaigns, you're likely to be underwhelmed. After playing them, I think I really only bought the full thing to support the indie market, because of the rave reviews it got, and because of my pathological desire to find out What Happens Next. What did Happen Next, however, took my breath away.

Let me just say this: If you can make me feel for a Little Sister, using top-notch graphics and voice acting, you're competent. If you can make me feel for a box with pink hearts painted on, using just a creepy robot voice and some reverse psychology, then you're clever. But if you can make me feel for some dots on a line - if you can make my eyes all watery near the end in a way that has nothing to do with the glare of my computer monitor - using mediocre pixel-art, addicting gameplay and some text, then, well, you are a genius.

[/spambot]

Oh, and one last thing . . . do NOT watch the trailer. It's spoiler-tastic to the extreme. Don't even look at it. 4 srs.

LINK: http://studioeres.com/immortal/

Xooxe

Quote from: Alfred Rhazi on December 14, 2008, 11:29:50 AM.The kicker: Portal is three-quarters tutorial level, and technically one big FPS jumping puzzle.

Portal was pretty much a parody of most FPS tutorials from the late nineties where you're herded through an indoor assault course, and told the rules of the game by scientists and military officials looking down on you from behind bullet-proof glass.

To me, part of its success was from giving you the chance to rebel against nostalgia.

Iason Ouabache

Sonny, a zombie RPG!

Dear Human, Zombies. You've shot them, stabbed them, sliced and diced them. Today I put you in the shoes of a Zombie. Fight for your life in this crazy and twisted world. This is an awesome mix of action, adventure and RPG fighting game. Defeat enemies in round-based fights and upgrade your hero and his skills. Use YOUR MOUSE to control the game. Have fun!

http://armorgames.com/play/505/sonny
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

bds

Toribash, a physics/ragdoll based fighting game.
Epic. Truly epic.

It's hard to start, I recommend playing through the tutorials and then practising vs. yourself.
It's also hard to explain it, really.
Please to be taking a look?

www.toribash.com

Telarus

My cabalmate Grog the Unkindly has good things to say about instantaction.com.

Trying it out right now, with one of their capture the flag FPS's. The main interface is browser based, and you can join a 'party' in the main lobby so you can all go into the right game server together.

Will post again with gameplay opinions.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!