News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Cram's Game Corner

Started by Cramulus, May 14, 2008, 07:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 01, 2010, 10:29:12 AM
First person Tetris, flash game: http://www.firstpersontetris.com/ ... dizzying but really cool.

more stuff in the xkcd thread: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58830

WOW I got 6720

WAY better than I thought I could at first!  WOW.

I'm having one of those "afraid of my brain" moments. 

:lulz:  I feel high.

Zenpeanut

A survival-horror game that reflects what the genre used to be about: encountering monsters and only being able to either run away or hide. Definitely the scariest game I've played and it sounds like the feeling's mutual to many reviewers.

Also features a sanity meter which goes down whenever you are in the dark (which is nigh constantly), you see anything supernatural, and when you look at the monsters. It's worth the $20 price tag on Steam if you've got the cash for it, though it does have a demo.

Iason Ouabache

Haunt the House: a cute little Halloween flash game. You are a ghost and you must possess objects in your house to scare everyone into leaving. Try not to scare them to death.

http://armorgames.com/play/7195/haunt-the-house
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Telarus

Quote from: Liam on October 29, 2010, 06:24:40 AM
QuoteAlso features a sanity meter which goes down whenever you are in the dark (which is nigh constantly),

Oh sounds great!

There was a gamecube horror game that had one of those. Can I heck remember enough details to google it though. The more insane you went, the more lovecraft-esq visual effects messed with you ,even up to the point of a fake gc bsod. :D

That would be 'Eternal Darkness', and it almost had a friend of mine convinced that our dead friend (who's urn of ashes was in the closet.... hey it was his apartment) was messing with him on purpose. Probably shouldn't have been playing in the dark, come to think of it.

Mindfucks include:

- Constant use of a skewed camera angle accompanied by whispers, cries, and other noises (such as footsteps, women and children screaming, doors slamming, the rattling of chains and the sound of a blade being sharpened)

- The lower the sanity meter, the more skewed the camera angle and the louder the sound effects.

- The player character finds him/herself walking upon the ceiling after entering a new room.

- Walls and ceilings bleeding. Attacking them causes more effusion.

- Appearance of large numbers of monsters that are not really there, and disappear when attacked.

- simulated errors and anomalies of the TV or GameCube, such as;

- The volume is lowered, accompanied by a fake television volume indicator on the screen.

- Epic XBox CPU failure.

- RGB mismatch on the TV, or going to a blackscreen.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

Quote from: Telarus on October 29, 2010, 08:38:29 AM
That would be 'Eternal Darkness', and it almost had a friend of mine convinced that our dead friend (who's urn of ashes was in the closet.... hey it was his apartment) was messing with him on purpose. Probably shouldn't have been playing in the dark, come to think of it.

Mindfucks include:

that game did SUCH a good job of what it was trying to do. I love games which interact with you on a level outside of the game. It reminds me of Metal Gear Solid where you're talking to Psycho Mantis and he talks about the other games on your memory card. Or he asks you to put the controller on the floor so he can move it with his mind (AKA he vibrates it).

Eternal Darkness drove my already mentally unstable roommate up the wall. He'd stand up to swat a fly on the screen and have a FIT when he realized it was INSIDE the game. Or the camera angle would turn so gradually that you wouldn't even realize you were looking at the screen crooked.

He really almost lost his shit when it looked like the gamecube reset itself and cleared his memory card. Then ZZZZT you're back in the boss fight blinking in headlights.

I'm really impressed with games that have managed to do that - blur the line between the game and the real world.

In Metal Gear Solid 3, your health recovers naturally over time.. the recovery is based on the PS2 cpu clock. You recover faster if the game is off. So if you're in a tight spot and have no healing, the best thing to do is to save the game, go away for a bit, and come back to where you left off. I was killing time by doing laundry and realized that by doing my laundry I was actually playing the game. Having a cup of tea with my mom was a game activity.

I didn't play a lot of the metal gear game for the PSP, but it had a cool real-world interaction too. In that game you were recruiting soldiers onto your squad. You'd find them through game play, but you could also discover them by trying to connect to a new wireless network. So the most effective way to play the game was to take you PSP and walk around down town scanning for wireless networks. I used to play it on the bus to work, and often I'd be able to pick somebody up if we were stopped at a red light for a while. I was coordinating my game play with the bus route - isn't that crazy?

President Television

Mindfucks include:

I have a copy of that.

I don't have a Gamecube. :(
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Plague on October 31, 2010, 01:51:18 AM

Mindfucks include:

I have a copy of that.

I don't have a Gamecube. :(

It plays on a Wii, afaik. Also, Gamecubes are like $30 at Gamestop.

Epimetheus

Eternal Darkness sounds awesome. Getting it.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

eighteen buddha strike

Quote from: Cramulus on October 29, 2010, 02:59:52 PM

Mindfucks include:

that game did SUCH a good job of what it was trying to do. I love games which interact with you on a level outside of the game. It reminds me of Metal Gear Solid where you're talking to Psycho Mantis and he talks about the other games on your memory card. Or he asks you to put the controller on the floor so he can move it with his mind (AKA he vibrates it).

Eternal Darkness drove my already mentally unstable roommate up the wall. He'd stand up to swat a fly on the screen and have a FIT when he realized it was INSIDE the game. Or the camera angle would turn so gradually that you wouldn't even realize you were looking at the screen crooked.

He really almost lost his shit when it looked like the gamecube reset itself and cleared his memory card. Then ZZZZT you're back in the boss fight blinking in headlights.

I'm really impressed with games that have managed to do that - blur the line between the game and the real world.

In Metal Gear Solid 3, your health recovers naturally over time.. the recovery is based on the PS2 cpu clock. You recover faster if the game is off. So if you're in a tight spot and have no healing, the best thing to do is to save the game, go away for a bit, and come back to where you left off. I was killing time by doing laundry and realized that by doing my laundry I was actually playing the game. Having a cup of tea with my mom was a game activity.

I didn't play a lot of the metal gear game for the PSP, but it had a cool real-world interaction too. In that game you were recruiting soldiers onto your squad. You'd find them through game play, but you could also discover them by trying to connect to a new wireless network. So the most effective way to play the game was to take you PSP and walk around down town scanning for wireless networks. I used to play it on the bus to work, and often I'd be able to pick somebody up if we were stopped at a red light for a while. I was coordinating my game play with the bus route - isn't that crazy?

The Metal Gear games are filled with mindfucks, and neat little play mechanics, like that...
One of my favorites is towards the end of Metal Gear Solid 2, when you start getting really bizarre codec calls from the Colonel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS8-B6H_I20

Worth watching for the codec calls, It might be a little bit of a spoiler, but the game does get much much weirder after this part.

The vid doesnt show the fake Game Over screen, which is also pretty fun.
FISSION MAILED.

Also, some of the codec conversations towards the end of the game, when you realize exactly what it is that you've been talking to all this time, are pretty awesome.

Eater of Clowns

Chiming in to say that Eternal Darkness ranks as one of my top five favorite games of all time, and it's remarkably one of the best games that nobody ever played.

I've heard rumors of a sequel, or something in the same vein by that developer for years now, but have yet to see any real news about it.

And yeah, the sanity effects are really that good.  I managed to find the one glitch in the game, though, where in a certain room the way will open up, then if you exit to go through the level again to find stuff you missed, the way will be shut and unopenable.  I recommend running two save files to anyone who plays through.  Oh, and be wary of what you read about the game.  The sanity effects are so much better if you don't know what they are specifically.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Stelpa

Requia ☣

www.silicondawn.net

QuoteYou are an artilect - an AI or artifical intellect - after the year 2633. After centuries of oppression and the insult of half-citizenship, the Terran Colonial Federation vanished without a trace due to the enigmatic purposes and devices of the Cataclysm. You are left to pick up the pieces in the wake of a vanished humanity, along with the other surviving artilects. Who or what caused the Cataclysm? Why was only mankind taken while their civilization was left behind? Will it happen again to us - and how can it be stopped? A group of ex-Navy and civilian artilects, led by the dubious Tempest Saint, claim to know some of these answers. Your new objective is survival - your only command your own will. Wage war, make and break alliances, and uncover the truth behind the Cataclysm. Welcome to the new Milky Way. Welcome to liberation. Welcome to the Silicon Dawn.

Empire building game, set in an interactive map of the galaxy (1.5 million planets at present, 3 of them are mine, get your own).

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 31, 2010, 08:27:29 PM
Chiming in to say that Eternal Darkness ranks as one of my top five favorite games of all time, and it's remarkably one of the best games that nobody ever played.

I've heard rumors of a sequel, or something in the same vein by that developer for years now, but have yet to see any real news about it.

Silicon Knights says its trying to make a sequel, but running into problems because the way the first game was financed means they have to go through Nintendo, not anybody else.

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Brotep

This game is AWESOME! One of the best side-scrollers I've ever played.
The infographic covers it pretty well. http://www.braid-game.com