News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Steampunk: the new LARP

Started by e, May 15, 2008, 04:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2008, 10:18:27 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on May 15, 2008, 10:14:11 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2008, 10:02:11 PM
Quote from: TheStripèdOne on May 15, 2008, 09:16:12 PM
To be fair, it's not LARP that's the problem.

It's 90% of the people that LARP that are the problem.

No, it's LARP.

Nah, its just you.

Nope.

Yep. Sorry, man... its all in your head among the echos and cobwebs and not much company.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

whatever, Rog.  :lulz:

The socially maladjusted basement-cases are the poster kids of LARP. They get all the press, but in my experience only make up like 20% of the population. Never mind that most of the players at LARPs make fun of them too.

For about six months of my life, I made about $15 an hour to (among other things) drive around the country and yell at people who were running their LARPs poorly. And sometimes kill their characters. Say what you will, but that's fucking awesome.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on May 15, 2008, 10:34:21 PM
whatever, Rog.  :lulz:

The socially maladjusted basement-cases are the poster kids of LARP. They get all the press, but in my experience only make up like 20% of the population. Never mind that most of the players at LARPs make fun of them too.

For about six months of my life, I made about $15 an hour to (among other things) drive around the country and yell at people who were running their LARPs poorly. And sometimes kill their characters. Say what you will, but that's fucking awesome.

Oh, I fully support making money off of these sorts of people.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on May 15, 2008, 10:21:52 PM

Yep. Sorry, man... its all in your head among the echos and cobwebs and not much company.

Oh, there's plenty of stuff in my head, Ratatosk.  Most of it involves midgets and monkeys on unicycles, but there's plenty.

e

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2008, 11:27:46 PM

Oh, there's plenty of stuff in my head, Ratatosk.  Most of it involves midgets and monkeys on unicycles, but there's plenty.

How did you get the midgets and monkeys on the unicycles without pushing each other off?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TheStripèdOne on May 15, 2008, 11:42:55 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2008, 11:27:46 PM

How did you get the midgets and monkeys on the unicycles without pushing each other off?

Because the midgets are FUCKING THE MONKEYS.

TGRR,
Has a head full of bad wiring.

Faust

I got tricked into a larp once.
Standing around with a bunch of fat pretentious wankers who think they are awesome because they are the children-o-the-night made me want to larp jumping up and down on their hides until they stopped moving.

case study (the larp I was in); story teller tells gives us vague mission. all the other larp players talk for an hour about how cool they are in really poor ye old english, gay ass fight, overly dramatic people talking about how awesome they are, scene close
~finí
Sleepless nights at the chateau

e

Quote from: Faust on May 16, 2008, 01:42:50 AM
I got tricked into a larp once.
Standing around with a bunch of fat pretentious wankers who think they are awesome because they are the children-o-the-night made me want to larp jumping up and down on their hides until they stopped moving.

case study (the larp I was in); story teller tells gives us vague mission. all the other larp players talk for an hour about how cool they are in really poor ye old english, gay ass fight, overly dramatic people talking about how awesome they are, scene close
~finí

Most of the vampire LARP sessions I took part in devolved rapidly and permanently into people bitching about what their characters did and didn't, or could and couldn't do.  Like I said, 90% of the people.

Cain

I am saddened this thread has not yet had a single mention of

LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT!

Jasper

For the record, top hats, goggles, lab coats, big rubber gloves, ironworker's boots, and old style watches are still cool.

e

Quote from: Felix on May 16, 2008, 04:49:10 AM
For the record, top hats, goggles, lab coats, big rubber gloves, ironworker's boots, and old style watches are still cool.

Truth.  I have a pocketwatch, and need to acquire a top hat and a decent suit so I can go around upholding the white man's burden.

Cramulus

yeahhhhhh I concede. Vampire larps often come closer to 90%.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on May 16, 2008, 02:01:31 PM
yeahhhhhh I concede. Vampire larps often come closer to 90%.

Depending on the troupe, yes.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.