News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Steampunk: the new LARP

Started by e, May 15, 2008, 04:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Grand Moff Hoopla on May 16, 2008, 04:28:32 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 15, 2008, 09:03:10 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 15, 2008, 09:01:53 PM
What exactly does larp mean?

BVH
-ignant

Live Action Role Playing, I believe.

OH GOOD GOD!

Yep.  It's like children playing make-believe, crossed with D&D without any combat or dice rolling.

And they refer to their games as "theatrical events".

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

How do they decide how much charisma they have without dice?

This is anarchy!!

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Grand Moff Hoopla on May 16, 2008, 04:37:33 PM

This is anarchy!!

I believe that depends on whether or not they're fucking the "storyteller".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

e

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 16, 2008, 05:11:35 PM
Quote from: Grand Moff Hoopla on May 16, 2008, 04:37:33 PM

This is anarchy!!

I believe that depends on whether or not they're fucking the "storyteller".
:mittens:

Jasper

If LARP didn't suck so badly, it'd be almost like a Shawshank Redemption take on the BIP.

But instead it sucks.

Mangrove

I was thinking of going to a LARP.

My character will be a guy in t-shirt & jeans who has ended up amongst a group of creepy 20-somethings pretending to be vampires and wants to go home really really badly.

:lol:

(Sorry Cram & Rat' but the LARP makes me --> :x)
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Bad LARP makes me  :x as well... I had given up on the concept until I ran into the group I play with now. Rules lawyering is kept to a minimum, OOC "Look what my character can do" doesn't happen (or if it does, the person is ejected until they learn to play the game).

I personally like playing pretend. I like pretending in the SCA, I like pretending in Cthulhu Live, I like pretending in Vampire and when my Steampunk LARP happens later in the year, I will like playing pretend there too. I really like making the costumes and the props and the sets the story, the characters and the monsters (particularly in Cthulhu). And yes, TGGR, it is like playing make believe. I have no problem with that... In fact, I hope to be playing make believe until my sanity fades and old age just makes it the default state of my brain.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Mangrove

I met a SCA type a while back. He was talking about swords and callibration and generally volunteered all sorts of information that I didn't ask for.

Then he says: "You'll find this funny. I was at a comic convention and saw this guy with a Naruto t-shirt that said 'just because you have a headband, doesn't mean you're a ninja'.

Me:    :|
Him: Have you seen Naruto?
Me: No.
Him: It's anime.
Me: I see  :|
Me: [pretending to hear my name called and exiting swiftly]

Now, of course I'm pretty sure having a headband does not actually make one a ninja. But the assumption that I knew & cared about these things made me sad.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Mangrove on May 20, 2008, 07:11:43 PM
I met a SCA type a while back. He was talking about swords and callibration and generally volunteered all sorts of information that I didn't ask for.

Then he says: "You'll find this funny. I was at a comic convention and saw this guy with a Naruto t-shirt that said 'just because you have a headband, doesn't mean you're a ninja'.

Me:    :|
Him: Have you seen Naruto?
Me: No.
Him: It's anime.
Me: I see  :|
Me: [pretending to hear my name called and exiting swiftly]

Now, of course I'm pretty sure having a headband does not actually make one a ninja. But the assumption that I knew & cared about these things made me sad.

Yes, social rejects congregate within the SCA and Gaming... possibly including myself I suppose.

e

The worst kind are the social rejects who think it's them that rejected society because they're "better" and "smarter" and that's why they sit in a room with other social rejects all day long pretending to be elves.

(NOT, mind you, that there's anything wrong with sitting in a room with other social rejects all day long pretending to be elves.  You just have to have the right group of social rejects.)

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: TheStripèdOne on May 20, 2008, 08:11:45 PM
The worst kind are the social rejects who think it's them that rejected society because they're "better" and "smarter" and that's why they sit in a room with other social rejects all day long pretending to be elves.

(NOT, mind you, that there's anything wrong with sitting in a room with other social rejects all day long pretending to be elves.  You just have to have the right group of social rejects.)

Agreed. I find that the people that "reject society" are particularly lame... I prefer the ones that take a hiatus from society to play a game... and then be abl;e to go back into society.

Cramulus

Quote from: Mangrove on May 20, 2008, 06:53:40 PM
(Sorry Cram & Rat' but the LARP makes me --> :x)

It's all good. If I was concerned with what The Other thought of my hobbies, I certainly wouldn't count myself amongst Discordians. I can see why some people think LARP sucks, or that I suck for doing it. All I can say to that is  :boring:. This is the Strange Times, and everybody is unspeakably weird. No shame there. One might just as validly critique people who post on forums all day, or own guns, or follow women's basketball or whatever.

QuotePissing all over someone else for doing something you don't personally approve of is MORE pointless than how pointless you think what they're doing is! So is taking offense to someone doing so.

In the end, I go to LARPs because I like to get outdoors, hang out with my oddball friends, and engage in team-oriented physical activity. I like challenges, competition, and the feeling of being a part of an ongoing story. I like the escapism of putting your life on hold while you get away for a weekend. I like that LARPing is relatively cheap, rewards creativity, and networks you with some very strange and interesting people.

I don't expect that it's for everybody. But that's cool, nothing is for everybody.