News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

The Iconoclast's Manifesto

Started by Cainad (dec.), May 17, 2008, 11:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Author's notes:

This is a work in progress; I fully encourage criticism and suggestions for changes. I fully acknowledge the irony in writing a manifesto for iconoclasts. In fact, it might be lulzy to try and ruin iconoclasm for everyone by turning it into a meme and duping people into accepting the dogma of challenging dogma.

We reserve the right to hold heretical viewpoints that you find abominable. We hold true that anyone who feels justified in attacking an individual because they have an unpopular opinion can fuck off and die.

We identify ourselves by our willingness to challenge the accepted dogma, theory, doctrine, or paradigm regardless of the consequences to our social status. We acknowledge that the positions we take may result in our being subjected to more intolerance than conventional wisdom would suggest is wise, but we find ourselves refuting conventional wisdom remarkably often.

While we generally try to take positions that are based on reasoned arguments, empirical evidence, historical precedents, or any combination thereof, we reserve the right to play devil's advocate just to piss you off and destroy any notion you might have that your ideas are universally applicable.

We acknowledge that the original use of the term iconoclast specifically refers to the destruction of religious icons, but we may choose to attack cherished beliefs relating to anything, including but not limited to politics, art, religion, philosophy, and identity.

We reserve the right to change or violate the terms of this manifesto as the individual iconoclast deems fit.

We reserve rights, period.

Reginald Ret

And we reserve lefts too! Rah!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Jasper

I enjoyed.

The tone is a bit unlike how I'd have done it, in a way I don't have words for at the moment, but I liked the message.

Triple Zero

i generally love killing my, or anyone's idols. but this manifesto sort of fails to address why i get the sheer joy from this.

to me, it's more a way of actively protesting and demonstrating that
- nobody is perfect, everyone has flaws
- nobody has "all" the answers
- therefore, nobody deserves your worship
- worshipping an idol means using it as a model to measure yourself against, therefore it is best to be aware of both the postive and the negative aspects of this idol, which also helps to "humanize" them.

.. something like that.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Chairman Risus

Jasper

What 000 said.

The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to ruin it.

Cainad (dec.)

Okay, so what I'm getting is:

1) You, Cainad, are one glorious faggot.

2) Needs moar explanation of why killing idols is so fap-tastically awesome.

Jasper

Revel in your heretical filth, not just the ego built around it.

Reginald Ret

naah its good this way, adding more text would reduce the readability.
i'm putting this on my wall with only this small change:
Quote from: Cainad on May 17, 2008, 11:03:03 PM

We reserve the right to hold heretical viewpoints that you find abominable. We hold true that anyone who feels justified in attacking an individual because they have an unpopular opinion can fuck off and die.

We identify ourselves by our willingness to challenge the accepted dogma, theory, doctrine, or paradigm regardless of the consequences to our social status. We acknowledge that the positions we take may result in our being subjected to more intolerance than conventional wisdom would suggest is wise, but we find ourselves refuting conventional wisdom remarkably often.

While we generally try to take positions that are based on reasoned arguments, empirical evidence, historical precedents, or any combination thereof, we reserve the right to play devil's advocate just to piss you off and destroy any notion you might have that your ideas are universally applicable.

We acknowledge that the original use of the term iconoclast specifically refers to the destruction of religious icons, but we may choose to attack cherished beliefs relating to anything, including but not limited to politics, art, religion, philosophy, and identity.

We reserve the right to change or violate the terms of this manifesto as the individual iconoclast deems fit.

We reserve all rights, period.

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

NWC

Quote from: Cainad on May 19, 2008, 06:24:05 AM
Okay, so what I'm getting is:

1) You, Cainad, are one glorious faggot.

2) Needs moar explanation of why killing idols is so fap-tastically awesome.

That would generally sum up my response, but with the second point, be sure to keep it succinct. No one wants a TL;DR manifesto  :)
But I like it, good stuff.

And to thusly worship and praise you as the ruler of iconoclasm, I will now cut off my right leg, from just above the Sacred Chao tattoo, and mail it to you.

adrss plz.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Cainad (dec.)

I'll be sure to cook it sous-vide.

Jasper

Dido

Quote from: Felix on May 19, 2008, 05:32:44 AM
What 000 said.

The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to ruin it.

How ...mediocre.

The reason I cannot leave anything (or, for that matter, anyone) alone is that some things are too good to be worshiped. Putting something (or somebody) on a pedestal is the quickest and imo cruelest way to kill everything that is inspiring about it.