News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Play Video Game, Win a Nobel Prize!

Started by Iason Ouabache, May 18, 2008, 09:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11326188

For sheer adrenaline, the new computer game "foldit", does not match the likes of "Grand Theft Auto IV". But for the world's obsessive problem solvers, a three-dimensional Tetris which allows them to help design a new life-saving vaccine seems certain to be a hit.

"foldit" is the latest incarnation of a project, called Rosetta@home, that uses spare computer time, via a screensaver, to work out how proteins fold. Proteins are the building blocks of life inside cells; they are first made as long chains of molecules and work properly only after they have folded into their final shape. But understanding the rules of protein folding remains one of biology's central problems.

The existing program uses trial and error, and pre-programmed mathematical rules that govern folding as understood today. But users of the screensaver told David Baker, a biochemist at the University of Washington and lead scientist on Rosetta@home, they could do better. So Dr Baker, Zoran Popovic, a computer scientist at the University of Washington, and graduate students Seth Cooper and Adrien Treuille set about creating a compelling computer game.

Players use their computers to fold proteins. The more chemically stable the folded protein becomes, the more points the players are awarded. In trials of the game hundreds of players were given 40 protein puzzles to solve (for the trials, the folding solutions were already known). Many of the best players were not scientists but were able to find the correct structure faster than computers.

The next big step will be to give players proteins for which the optimal folding is not known. They will then be doing cutting-edge research in protein-structure prediction. If all goes well, the game will move on to protein design this summer, by including options that allow players to modify sections of the protein. This will allow them to design a protein that blocks the action of a virus.

Although this may strike some as a remarkable bit of scientific outsourcing, the group is adamant that players who make breakthroughs will share in the scientific glory. This places parents of young "foldit" enthusiasts in a quandary: should they tell their children to stop playing games and get on with their homework, or encourage them to continue playing and possibly share in a Nobel prize?

http://fold.it
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Triple Zero

awesome idea!

buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it
charge it, pwn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, work it, quick erase it

write it, cut it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, quick rewrite it
plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag it, drop it, zip, unzip it

lock it, fill it, curl it, find it, view it, code it, jump, unlock it
surf it, scroll it, pose it, click it, cross it, crack it, switch, update it

name it, read it, tune it, print it, scan it, send it, fax, rename it
touch it, bring it, pay it, watch it, turn it, leave it, stock, format it

Technologic.
Technologic.

(Daft Punk - Technologic)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

e

That's really cool.

And oh man, it has the best tagline ever:

Solve Puzzles FOR SCIENCE

Jasper

I'm stuck on puzzle 5-1, within 3 points of success and I'm STUUCK!!

:argh: It's rough solving the world's problems.

LMNO

Quote from: triple zero on May 18, 2008, 01:47:48 PM
awesome idea!

buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it
charge it, pwn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, work it, quick erase it

write it, cut it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, quick rewrite it
plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag it, drop it, zip, unzip it

lock it, fill it, curl it, find it, view it, code it, jump, unlock it
surf it, scroll it, pose it, click it, cross it, crack it, switch, update it

name it, read it, tune it, print it, scan it, send it, fax, rename it
touch it, bring it, pay it, watch it, turn it, leave it, stock, format it

Technologic.
Technologic.

(Daft Punk - Technologic)

I was wondering where Busta Rhymes stole that from...

Jasper

e

QuoteFor Puzzle 50, the top groups were Something Awful, Berkeley, Temporary Insanity, Carnegie Mellon, and DSN @ Home

This just amuses me because SA beat out Berkeley and Carnegie Mellon.

Jasper

Goons don't have an unintelligent rep.  Quite the reverse.

e

Sure, but Berkely and Carnegie Mellon.

I don't know, a lot of the time when I think SA I think "Troll"

Jasper

When I think "troll" I usually think "clever humorist", which just goes to show how broken I am.

e

Troll, n. - Someone who is easily bored and spends too much time on the internet.

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Jasper

No, but the wiki is very informative.