News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

ATTN: any other chefs who might read this

Started by East Coast Hustle, May 20, 2008, 03:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

dispose of the idea that sous vide is an acceptable way to cook meat or I will come to your restaurant and skullfuck you on the hostess station in the middle of a friday dinner rush.

TIA.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Sir Squid Diddimus

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

Sous-vide cooking uses airtight plastic bags placed in hot water well below boiling point for long periods of time.

It makes me sad, and a little sick to my stomach.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Felix on May 20, 2008, 06:28:33 AM
Sous-vide cooking uses airtight plastic bags placed in hot water well below boiling point for long periods of time.

:x

Dysnomia

Quote from: Felix on May 20, 2008, 06:28:33 AM

ew....

:vom:
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Triple Zero

Quote from: Felix on May 20, 2008, 06:28:33 AMSous-vide cooking uses airtight plastic bags placed in hot water well below boiling point for long periods of time.

i don't see what's wrong with that. ECH, please explain what's wrong with this?

just another way of preparing meat. besides, you quickly sear the steak afterwards to give it a brown crust.

i've never had it, but it's supposed to be super tender.

the proteins in muscle meat cook at a temperature of 50-60 degrees C, everything above that will make the meat stringy again.

also, it's not just airtight, but vacuum.

and if it makes you sick to your stomach, realize that you can't do this unless you take some proper hygiene precautions, because obviously it's also the temp at which bacteria love to grow.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

Sounds like it's similar to what we do to babyback ribs before they go on the grill.  Though we just boil them outright, but it's to tenderize them and marinate them at the same time.  We never have any left, so I know they are a crowd pleaser.

LMNO

I have to go aginst you on this one, ECH.  It seems like a kind of "dry poaching".

Slow, low heat?  Dammit, now I want a sous-vide pork belly.

Jasper

I'm against it, unless you can find something non-synthetic to boil it in.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Jenne on May 21, 2008, 05:35:05 PM
Sounds like it's similar to what we do to babyback ribs before they go on the grill.  Though we just boil them outright, but it's to tenderize them and marinate them at the same time.  We never have any left, so I know they are a crowd pleaser.

psst
try braising them

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Boiling directly in water takes too much flavor out, unless you boil it in a strong stock on low heat.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I usually simmer in seasoned and lightly salted water.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."