News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

ATTN: any other chefs who might read this

Started by East Coast Hustle, May 20, 2008, 03:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Jenne

Quote from: Squid on May 22, 2008, 05:13:17 AM
Quote from: Jenne on May 21, 2008, 05:35:05 PM
Sounds like it's similar to what we do to babyback ribs before they go on the grill.  Though we just boil them outright, but it's to tenderize them and marinate them at the same time.  We never have any left, so I know they are a crowd pleaser.

psst
try braising them

Hm, I think we did a variation on braising once, didn't turn out as good...but then we change it up so often, I disremember each time how we did it the last time.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on May 23, 2008, 04:53:00 PM
I usually simmer in seasoned and lightly salted water.

TITCM.

always simmer, NEVER boil.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Adios

I smoked a rack of ribs yesterday in pure mesquite wood with very little seasoning. It of course took several hours at 210 degrees but OMG what a flavor. The mesquite totally infused the meat and it was moist throughout. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Smoked pork ribs are pretty much my idea of heaven.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just smoked an ordinary top sirloin and it is AMAZING. I don't know if I can go back to grilled steak after this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Sir Squid Diddimus

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

The only way I know how to cook meat well, is by cutting it thin and broiling it.

BROILING > BOILING.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

East Coast Hustle

do you mean to say that that is an enjoyable way to cook meat or that you are cooking it "well done"?

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on June 07, 2008, 03:59:18 AM
do you mean to say that that is an enjoyable way to cook meat or that you are cooking it "well done"?

the former

East Coast Hustle

ahh.  In that case, try not cutting it thin, broiling it under wicked high heat long enough to sear the outside, and then finishing in a 450 degree oven to desired done-ness. If the steak is about 1.5 inches thick, should take you about 3 minutes to get to mid-rare, 5 minutes to medium, and if you like it more done than that you should just eat your shoes.

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on June 07, 2008, 01:52:01 PM
ahh.  In that case, try not cutting it thin, broiling it under wicked high heat long enough to sear the outside, and then finishing in a 450 degree oven to desired done-ness. If the steak is about 1.5 inches thick, should take you about 3 minutes to get to mid-rare, 5 minutes to medium, and if you like it more done than that you should just eat your shoes.

Yeah, I prefer my meats on the rare side.

I'll give this a go.