News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

THIS SUMMER

Started by Sepia, May 20, 2008, 08:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sepia

I have landed the perfect job for me and myself and even though it means being stuck on an island in the midst of fuckall, it's an island in the southern part of norway so weather should be fine and it should be very summery.

My chefy friend has rented a restaurant there and will be running it for 2 months where I'll be responsible for making most of the bread needed and taking extra shifts as bartender.

I have no experience whatsoever at bartending and even though gin&tonic and rum&coke will probably be the most ordered drinks, It'd be really cool to actually learn something when goofing around down there.

Books, specifically. I have no trouble at all reading cookbooks and books about bread so any semi well written would be perfect, not necessarily with anecdotes and stories but small or huge snippets of information regarding where it came from, what's the most common variation of it etc.

Bread I can bake, but if anyone has suggestions about anything dough related that would fit with seafood, soups bistro? cuisine???!??!!?

!?

Then holler out and I'll give you a free 3er and wine for the evening when you stop by.
Everyone will always be too late

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Sepia on May 20, 2008, 08:44:10 PM
I have landed the perfect job for me and myself and even though it means being stuck on an island in the midst of fuckall, it's an island in the southern part of norway so weather should be fine and it should be very summery.

My chefy friend has rented a restaurant there and will be running it for 2 months where I'll be responsible for making most of the bread needed and taking extra shifts as bartender.

I have no experience whatsoever at bartending and even though gin&tonic and rum&coke will probably be the most ordered drinks, It'd be really cool to actually learn something when goofing around down there.

Books, specifically. I have no trouble at all reading cookbooks and books about bread so any semi well written would be perfect, not necessarily with anecdotes and stories but small or huge snippets of information regarding where it came from, what's the most common variation of it etc.

Bread I can bake, but if anyone has suggestions about anything dough related that would fit with seafood, soups bistro? cuisine???!??!!?

!?

Then holler out and I'll give you a free 3er and wine for the evening when you stop by.

If you get a chance, grab the Complete Dummies Guide to Bartending. It has a great array of mixed drink options and lots of information about each major type of alcohol. Plenty of self-education and small talk for the customers...

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

I like the Bartender's Bible, myself.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Jenne on May 20, 2008, 09:04:00 PM
I like the Bartender's Bible, myself.

Also a nice book... a but more SRS, but I have both.

Jenne

I ARE SRS BOUT BOOZE

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

East Coast Hustle

Mr. Boston's is dry and a bit archaic, but very comprehensive.

as for pairing bread with cuisine, my best suggestion is just to make good product and give the chef a little variety to work with and let him put it to best use.

focaccia pizza should be mentioned, however, as it can be maddeningly good if done correctly.

correctly, of course, is largely subjective.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"