News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

2012: what is it other than another convoluted way to obtain "5" and "23"

Started by indifferent betty, May 21, 2008, 01:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fractalbeard

According to wikipedia, our all-knowing online entity, regarding the year 2012:

"December 21 — The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, notably used by the Maya civilization among others of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle since the calendar's mythical starting point (equivalent to 3114 BC August 11 in the proleptic Gregorian calendar, according to the "GMT-correlation" JDN= 584283).[6] The Long Count b'ak'tun date of this starting point (13.0.0.0.0) is repeated, for the first time in a span of approximately 5,125 solar years. The significance of this period-ending to the pre-Columbian Maya themselves is unclear, and there is an incomplete inscription (Tortuguero Monument 6) that records this date. It is also to be found carved on the walls of the Temple of Inscriptions in Palenque, where it functions as a base date from which other dates are computed.[7] However, it is conjectured that this may represent in the Maya belief system a transition from the current Creation world into the next."

Oddly enough, to get the 23 thing out of my system, December 23 is supposed to be an alternative date for this to happen.

In short: the Mayan calendar resets, causing a cataclysmic Y2K event (i.e. nothing at all) to happen to an already dead society.  Or something like that.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on June 11, 2008, 04:15:41 AM
what is 5 and 23 suppose to be significant or something?

Apparently, if you're creative enough,you can relate nearly all numerical information to the numbers 5 and/or 23.

Cain

Quote from: Hawaiianback Gorilla on June 11, 2008, 03:55:21 AM
According to wikipedia, our all-knowing online entity, regarding the year 2012:

"December 21 — The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, notably used by the Maya civilization among others of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle since the calendar's mythical starting point (equivalent to 3114 BC August 11 in the proleptic Gregorian calendar, according to the "GMT-correlation" JDN= 584283).[6] The Long Count b'ak'tun date of this starting point (13.0.0.0.0) is repeated, for the first time in a span of approximately 5,125 solar years. The significance of this period-ending to the pre-Columbian Maya themselves is unclear, and there is an incomplete inscription (Tortuguero Monument 6) that records this date. It is also to be found carved on the walls of the Temple of Inscriptions in Palenque, where it functions as a base date from which other dates are computed.[7] However, it is conjectured that this may represent in the Maya belief system a transition from the current Creation world into the next."

Oddly enough, to get the 23 thing out of my system, December 23 is supposed to be an alternative date for this to happen.

In short: the Mayan calendar resets, causing a cataclysmic Y2K event (i.e. nothing at all) to happen to an already dead society.  Or something like that.

Thats pretty much my interpretation too.  I'm not worried about looking stupid if I'm wrong and the fifth and final universe or whatever it is comes into being, I'm pretty sure no-one will remember me mocking them.

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Fractalbeard

Y'know, speaking of Y2K, maybe this 2012 thing could be turned into some kind of Y2K-esque mindfuck thing.  Perhaps some bullshit about the quantum resonance of matter follows some blah blah pattern that the Mayans figured out, and the universe's master clock is going to reset, possibly resulting in the horrid destruction of all matter, living and nonliving, that hasn't been "upgraded" in some screwed up absurd way.  Or some crazy crap along those lines.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

Cain

Unfortunately, I don't think anything we could come up would be as crazy and pseudo-scientific than what is actually being talked about (for more see: polar shift theory, Nibiru etc)

Thurnez Isa

me and my friends used Y2K as an excuse to through a really bitching party

this seems such an excuse
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cramulus

I'm reminded of a Simpsons episode in which somebody buries the skeleton of an angel (hoax) as an advertising gimmick for a newly built mall.

We can't do much to exacerbate the hilarious handwringing and OMG IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD hysteria, but we certainly can come up with a prank which capitalizes on it.

During the Y2K, my grandpa buired thousands of dollars worth of canned goods and valuables in his back yard. If 2012 hysteria is anything like Y2K hysteria, it's going to motivate people to do some pretty weird stuff. I only hope some prankster is there to take advantage of it.

Cain

We could feed the media stories about end of world cultists and see how that feeds over into the end of world cultist discourse...

Cramulus

and this is exactly the sort of thing that
A) the adam weishaupt society
and
B) an automated forum robot who can post incoherent end-of-the-world jargon

are MADE for

disregard the fact that the AWS hasn't done anything in six months :-P

NWC

I think the real question is: how to capitalize on a bunch of deluded schmucks thinking the world is going to end?

sell them soul-saving devices?

buy things from them really cheap and resell(preferably back to them, a year later) at ridiculous inflation?

or just find a few in whatever area you're in at the time, and throw rocks at their house on Dec. 23rd or whatever so they freak out? could be lulzy, could get you shot
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

greyseraph

So I had heard about 2012 from various places on the internet over the past year or so. But then a few weeks ago I decided to watch TV (it was a very lazy sunday) and on the history channel there was nothing but HOW MANY DIFFERENT WAYS CAN THE WORLD END IN 2012?! programming on for 6 hours. I was pretty shocked at how widespread this apocalyptic prophecy was.

I know I will certainly be standing vigilant by my compass waiting for the Earth's poles to reverse!

BADGE OF HONOR

It's because people have been absorbing the global warming message for years, and anyone with a brain can figure out some bad shit is going to happen eventually.

It's just a matter of when.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".