News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

"Goddess" ... Just Sexist Bullshit?

Started by hooplala, May 26, 2008, 01:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Forgot to put my eggs in for the actual thread.

Having dated someone who prefers made up gender terms in actual conversation, I have to say that I'd be more into it if the words didn't sound stupid, and make me feel stupid to utter. 

And nobody better exclaim Oh My Goddess, except in very well executed feats of sarcasm.  It's just dumb.  You can't shout GAAWWWDESSS!!!  and get the same emphasis as GAAAAAWWWWD!!!  It just sounds more striking in the masculine.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Felix on May 27, 2008, 07:47:45 PM
And nobody better exclaim Oh My Goddess, except in very well executed feats of sarcasm.  It's just dumb.  You can't shout GAAWWWDESSS!!!  and get the same emphasis as GAAAAAWWWWD!!!  It just sounds more striking in the masculine.

I think what it is that makes it so much more striking is the ending on the hard sound. Ending on an SSSS sounds kinda silly and wimpy. Whereas "GAWWWWDDDDDD!" ends with a striking sound, much like "shit," "fuck," etc. The best exclamations sound as aggressive as they are.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

NWC

As someone who worships Issac Brock as a false idol, I also like

"OH MY GOD AND OH MY CAT"
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Cain

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on May 27, 2008, 05:45:17 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 27, 2008, 05:39:29 PM
STOP BUYING INTO THE PATRIARCHY DCUP!

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE "HERSTORY" TAUGHT IN OUR SCHOOLS?

*twitch, twitch*

OH GOD PET PEEVE :x

"History" IS NOT A SEXIST WORD. Even using "herstory" as a gimmick is stupid because it puts the wrong idea forward. YES there is a lack of adequate coverage of women's history in MOST history books/programs/etc, but infantilizing things never made them get taken more seriously or appear any more valid. In fact, it usually has the opposite effect! HOLY CRAP WHAT A FUCKING SHOCKER! :evilmad:

*twitch*

STUPID WORD. STUPID WOOOORRRRRDDDDDD!

-DC
Does not like to just hug it out

I just think more Feminists should be taught Ancient Greek.

Darth Cupcake

I really really want to learn Ancient Greek, actually.

But since I haven't yet, I'm sure I'm missing the punchline of some joke you just made. :cry:

Cain

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on May 27, 2008, 09:01:59 PM

But since I haven't yet, I'm sure I'm missing the punchline of some joke you just made. :cry:

Nah, not really.  Just that history in Ancient Greek means "a learning by inquiry" and the 'his' in the name has nothing to do with anything whatsoever, least of all gender.  Apparently there is some urban myth or something that history = truncated version of hisstory, or 'his story'.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Cain on May 27, 2008, 09:15:01 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on May 27, 2008, 09:01:59 PM

Nah, not really.  Just that history in Ancient Greek means "a learning by inquiry" and the 'his' in the name has nothing to do with anything whatsoever, least of all gender.  Apparently there is some urban myth or something that history = truncated version of hisstory, or 'his story'.

Although I didn't know it came from Ancient Greek, I certainly knew that the word had nothing to do with "his story" because THAT IS A DUMB THING TO THINK. I mean WHAT?! How moronic can you get?

I mean, honestly. There's plenty of things in everyday life to get pissed off about. No need to go digging into stupid imaginary crap just to get worked up about something. Unless, of course, you are looking for something ultimately stupid and inconsequential so that you don't need to hurt your brain by thinking about ACTUAL issues that actually MATTER in even the smallest, tiniest fashion. NO. That would be too much like work.

Cain

Paranoid faux-persecution is all the rage.

For more see:

Christianity
Republicans
Muslims
Anarchists
Emo kids
Discordians
Muslims
Pagans
Goths

Cain

Yes I know I put Muslims in twice, STFU.

Jasper

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on May 27, 2008, 09:31:58 PM
Yes I know I put Muslims in twice, STFU.

I thought it was included for Mel Brooks' 'Blazing Saddles' lulz.

"Rape, Murder, Cattle Rustlin', Rape..."
"You said rape twice."
"I like rape!"
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

NWC

Mangrove - do you happen to have a dime on you?

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Kurt Christ

I don't really use the phrase "Oh my God," but I will say "God damn it," "Goddess damn it," "Gods damn it," or "God, sigular or plural, male or female, existant or nonexistant, damn it" depending on how I feel.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

NWC

Quote from: The Space Pope on May 28, 2008, 05:36:36 AM
I don't really use the phrase "Oh my God," but I will say "God damn it," "Goddess damn it," "Gods damn it," or "God, sigular or plural, male or female, existant or nonexistant, damn it" depending on how I feel.

good point. I do say "goddamnit" or "goddamn" way more often. On special occasions I'll sing

"Little man quit pokin' me
Little man quit pokin'
Goddamn
Goddamn little man"

traditional