News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

"Goddess" ... Just Sexist Bullshit?

Started by hooplala, May 26, 2008, 01:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

On the weekend I used the common term "OH MY GOD", and a friend (somewhat new to Discordianism) jokingly asked if I had meant "OH MY GODDESS"... I told him no, mostly because I like to say "oh my god" the way I imagine Ignatius J. Reilly saying it, with plenty of emphasis on the "god"...

...but I would have said it the same way even if I WERE referring to Eris because I find the term "goddess" to be a sexist term. 

Isn't "God" good enough for deities of both gender?

I have always personally loathed terms like "actress" or "commedienne", and "goddess" irks me just as much. 

Any opinions?

BVH
-always here to wonder about the really really important shit
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Or female gods who get pissed on the weekend, start breaking windows and getting into fights.

Faust

I can only accept the use of that term or any term of the like from someone who has created something interesting, or helped the world in some way.

You don't fucking get to be pedantic about shit that helps absolutely no one unless you earn it. Its just another bureaucracy and i hate it, same goes for gender neutral terms and most PC things. Your significant other better be Mr Hyde or I don't want to hear it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on May 26, 2008, 02:09:33 PM
I can only accept the use of that term or any term of the like from someone who has created something interesting, or helped the world in some way.

You don't fucking get to be pedantic about shit that helps absolutely no one unless you earn it. Its just another bureaucracy and i hate it, same goes for gender neutral terms and most PC things. Your significant other better be Mr Hyde or I don't want to hear it.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Faust

I can only accept the use of that term(goddess for oh my god) or any term of the like(actress" or "commedienne) from someone who has created something interesting, or helped the world in some way.

You don't fucking get to be pedantic about terms that help absolutely no one, unless you earn it. Its just another bureaucracy and i hate it, same goes for gender neutral terms(hir etc) and most Politically correct terms. Your Significant Other better be Mr Hyde or I don't want to hear about him.

any better
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Hoopla on May 26, 2008, 01:38:08 PM

I have always personally loathed terms like "actress" or "commedienne", and "goddess" irks me just as much. 

wow
you would really hate french

I always swear though to christian god though
cause apparently it suppose to really piss him off
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on May 26, 2008, 02:19:42 PM
I can only accept the use of that term(goddess for oh my god) or any term of the like(actress" or "commedienne) from someone who has created something interesting, or helped the world in some way.

You don't fucking get to be pedantic about terms that help absolutely no one, unless you earn it. Its just another bureaucracy and i hate it, same goes for gender neutral terms(hir etc) and most Politically correct terms. Your Significant Other better be Mr Hyde or I don't want to hear about him.

any better

Yes, much.  I agree with you.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

On the weekend I used the common term "OH MY GOD", and a friend (somewhat new to Discordianism) jokingly asked if I had meant "OH MY GODDESS"... I told him no, mostly because I like to say "oh my god" the way I imagine Ignatius J. Reilly saying it, with plenty of emphasis on the "god"...

...but I would have said it the same way even if I WERE referring to Eris because I find the term "goddess" to be a sexist term. 

Any opinions?

BVH

I prefer not to make the queen cry while using her English.

Goddess will do for me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

But please tell me youwould never say "Oh my Goddess" or I shall weep like a little baby.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Thurnez Isa

actually i believe he says "Merry Meet"
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

hooplala

. . . uh oh . . .

:runs to hide in his bunker:

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on May 26, 2008, 04:30:18 PM
But please tell me youwould never say "Oh my Goddess" or I shall weep like a little baby.

Of course not.  That's just stupid.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 26, 2008, 03:57:04 PM

Any opinions?

BVH

I prefer not to make the queen cry while using her English.

Goddess will do for me.

:mittens:

Masculine and Feminine nouns predate sexism...

Though I don't usually say "Oh My Goddess" except maybe when I'm getting a really good lay, but that isn't referring to Eris  :wink:

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson