News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

"Goddess" ... Just Sexist Bullshit?

Started by hooplala, May 26, 2008, 01:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWC

I say both, but I usually stick to "Goddess" when around mostly Christians, to distinguish myself from them, or just to incite some ranting about how God is male and HE WILL SODOMIZE YOU WITH HIS GREAT COCK OF JUSTICE if you think otherwise.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Dido

People meaning (to talk to) me had better use the adequate suffices (in German and French) or prefix (in Greek) because I simply do not realize that I am being addressed when they do not.

How people choose to address the deities of their choice is no concern of mine. I prefer not to encourage mine by talking directly to them but when I do I tend to use "bitch".

And people still able to talk while being laid are too fucking talkative.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dido on May 26, 2008, 07:31:07 PM
People meaning (to talk to) me had better use the adequate suffices (in German and French) or prefix (in Greek) because I simply do not realize that I am being addressed when they do not.

How people choose to address the deities of their choice is no concern of mine. I prefer not to encourage mine by talking directly to them but when I do I tend to use "bitch".

And people still able to talk while being laid are too fucking talkative not getting laid right.

Fixed.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dido

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 26, 2008, 07:33:57 PM
Quote from: Dido on May 26, 2008, 07:31:07 PM

And people still able to talk while being laid are too fucking talkative not getting laid right.

Fixed.

I was trying not to insult unknown persons. But yes.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Hoopla on May 26, 2008, 01:38:08 PMOn the weekend I used the common term "OH MY GOD", and a friend (somewhat new to Discordianism) jokingly asked if I had meant "OH MY GODDESS"... I told him no, mostly because I like to say "oh my god" the way I imagine Ignatius J. Reilly saying it, with plenty of emphasis on the "god"...

...but I would have said it the same way even if I WERE referring to Eris because I find the term "goddess" to be a sexist term. 

Isn't "God" good enough for deities of both gender?

I have always personally loathed terms like "actress" or "commedienne", and "goddess" irks me just as much. 

Any opinions?

BVH
-always here to wonder about the really really important shit

it's a language thing.

english doesn't do very much anymore with the gender of words, but it's still rudimentarily there. a lot of other languages still have suffixes (or prefixes, or other contraptions) to denote gender, and not using them wouldn't just be a PC variation, but it would simply not be grammatical.

we have similar problems in Dutch, though. i try to ignore them as much as possible, because just as you don't get smarter by speaking e-prime, i don't think you can solve sexism by changing language either.

also, i do not say oh my goddess. i consider it sometimes, but like TGRR said, it would sound stupid. it's a single phrase, a muslim wouldn't say allahdamnit either.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

I would say Oh My Goddess if people wouldn't confuse me for a run-of-the-mill pagan. I'm more of a run-off-the-mill pagan.

kidding of course. I don't consider myself a pagan, and the G in my OMG definitely stands for Gawd.

Suu

I assume folks would also not want to be labeled a weeaboo rather quickly.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Darth Cupcake

I dislike Invented Touchy Feely We Can All Have Our Own Words terms.

For example, the rank of of journeyman is just that--a rank. Therefore, we do not need to bastardize it into "journeywoman" nor do we need a "midshipwoman" when a "midshipman" will do fine thanks. Chairwoman? That sounds silly. (My boss, disliking being referred to as a "department chairman" since she is not a man, prefers simply "department chair" because, well, "chairwoman" is still silly.) And I know "chairwoman" is technically a word. It's still dumb and imaginary.

"Goddess" is an actual word, derived from a gendered language. So, if I am referring to a female deity, I will refer to her as a goddess. However, I will not say "Oh my goddess!" as we've all covered because I am not a 15 year old girl who shops at Hot Topic and thinks she is SUPER REBEL cause she calls herself a pagan. ("Paganne?")

In languages with gender-based grammar, obviously things should be gendered. But English doesn't really use gendered grammar, so it is unnecessary to invent it where we haven't imported it from whatever language we stole that particular piece of vocab from.

-DC
On a personal mission to take feminist certification away from anyone who spells it "womyn"
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cain

STOP BUYING INTO THE PATRIARCHY DCUP!

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE "HERSTORY" TAUGHT IN OUR SCHOOLS?

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Cain on May 27, 2008, 05:39:29 PM

*twitch, twitch*

OH GOD PET PEEVE :x

"History" IS NOT A SEXIST WORD. Even using "herstory" as a gimmick is stupid because it puts the wrong idea forward. YES there is a lack of adequate coverage of women's history in MOST history books/programs/etc, but infantilizing things never made them get taken more seriously or appear any more valid. In fact, it usually has the opposite effect! HOLY CRAP WHAT A FUCKING SHOCKER! :evilmad:

*twitch*

STUPID WORD. STUPID WOOOORRRRRDDDDDD!

-DC
Does not like to just hug it out

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on May 27, 2008, 05:45:17 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 27, 2008, 05:39:29 PM

*twitch, twitch*

OH GOD PET PEEVE :x

"History" IS NOT A SEXIST WORD. Even using "herstory" as a gimmick is stupid because it puts the wrong idea forward. YES there is a lack of adequate coverage of women's history in MOST history books/programs/etc, but infantilizing things never made them get taken more seriously or appear any more valid. In fact, it usually has the opposite effect! HOLY CRAP WHAT A FUCKING SHOCKER! :evilmad:

*twitch*

STUPID WORD. STUPID WOOOORRRRRDDDDDD!

-DC
Does not like to just hug it out

I like this new DC.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

This is what consumption of pork shoulder does to people. Pretty soon she'll be punching hobos for fun and profit like me.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Darth Cupcake

Oh, I'm always a jerk in real life. It just doesn't show up as much on the internet. In real life, I am full of hate and rage.

One of my friends looked me the other day, was quiet and pensive for a moment, then finally said, "Where do you put it? All the hate, I mean. You somehow manage to contain at least three or four times your size in hate. Where does it all go?!"

Jasper

Innate hate seems to be inversely proportional to body size.  I've observed this in others.