News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

"Goddess" ... Just Sexist Bullshit?

Started by hooplala, May 26, 2008, 01:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverend Loveshade

Quote from: triple zero on June 07, 2008, 01:49:11 PM
my dad lived in the US for a year when he was little, and he had to pledge allegiance to the flag every morning in school (or something like that--do you still have to do that?), but he always mumbled "and the Netherlands" under his breath.
not really because he was such a rebel or anything, but it simply makes more sense that way, to a kid, i suppose.

Good for your Dad.

Legally, you don't still have to recite the pledge in school in America, but some schools still insist on it.  As far I as I know, currently it's often said in elementary schools, sometimes in junior high schools, and very seldom in high schools.

The U. S. Supreme Court originally decided right before the beginning of World War II that schools could force students to recite it.  Members of I think the Jehovah's Witnesses had believed that saying a pledge to an inanimate object was idolatry (frankly, I tend to agree), but they lost.  But ironically during World War II, when American Patriotism was at its height ("Kill for America!"), the Supreme Court reversed its decision, I think on First Amendment grounds (for non-Americans, that amendment to the U. S. Constitution covers Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, Freedom of the Press, stuff like that).
"Threats should not be tolerated. They're demeaning, they're violations to human rights and no one deserves them."

-- navkat, 20 June 2007, principiadiscordia.com

NWC

Quote from: Reverend Uncle BadTouch on June 07, 2008, 05:58:30 PM
my dad lived in the US for a year when he was little, and he had to pledge allegiance to the flag every morning in school (or something like that--do you still have to do that?), but he always mumbled "and the Netherlands" under his breath.
not really because he was such a rebel or anything, but it simply makes more sense that way, to a kid, i suppose.

Good for your Dad.

Legally, you don't still have to recite the pledge in school in America, but some schools still insist on it.  As far I as I know, currently it's often said in elementary schools, sometimes in junior high schools, and very seldom in high schools.

The U. S. Supreme Court originally decided right before the beginning of World War II that schools could force students to recite it.  Members of I think the Jehovah's Witnesses had believed that saying a pledge to an inanimate object was idolatry (frankly, I tend to agree), but they lost.  But ironically during World War II, when American Patriotism was at its height ("Kill for America!"), the Supreme Court reversed its decision, I think on First Amendment grounds (for non-Americans, that amendment to the U. S. Constitution covers Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, Freedom of the Press, stuff like that).

I've refused to say the pledge from the 6th grade up through my senior year oh highschool, and most of the time I was able to get away with just some dirty looks, but I got kicked out of a few classes, was not allowed to take a test which would have ruined my grade if the administration hadn't intervened, and I've had multiple angry phone calls to my parents.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Reverend Loveshade

Quote from: NWC on June 08, 2008, 04:13:14 AM

Good for your Dad.

I've refused to say the pledge from the 6th grade up through my senior year oh highschool, and most of the time I was able to get away with just some dirty looks, but I got kicked out of a few classes, was not allowed to take a test which would have ruined my grade if the administration hadn't intervened, and I've had multiple angry phone calls to my parents.

That shows you what happens when you Satanic Atheist Communist Nazi Axis of Evil Slebs try forcing your Anti-American Freedom of Speech and Religion Crap down the throats of us good Patriotic Americans!

Oh wait, Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion are American.  Nevermind.
"Threats should not be tolerated. They're demeaning, they're violations to human rights and no one deserves them."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Good for your Dad.

Yep, after teachers had knocked kids across desks and after a couple kids nearly died from getting beat up by their schoolmates... Of course, during that time, the land of the free also tarred and feathered JW's, priests whipped up mob violence against them, all sorts of stuff to make us UMERIKANS proud.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

And these are the joys that Gordon Brown wants to bring to the UK!

But in our case, everyone will be made to pledge alleigance to the Head of the Anglican Church.  So it will be even more fun!

hooplala

None of this has ANYTHING to do with Bea Arthur's vagina.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

I Am Not A Rhombus

Explain to her GOD is actually a acronym for "Great Orange Dick", a sacred item belonging to the God of Antiques; David Dickinson. 

Reverend Loveshade

Quote from: Hoopla on June 09, 2008, 11:37:09 PM
None of this has ANYTHING to do with Bea Arthur's vagina.

Really? I thought EVERYTHING had to do with Bea Arthur's vagina.

Reverend Loveshade

I should also like to point out that, today at precisely 5:37 a.m. in Bea Arthur's home town of New York, New York, the time was precisely 5:37 a.m.

I Am Not A Rhombus

What a useless piece of information.

You did not specify the time zone.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

I have no problem with using goddess or waitress or actress if it applies correctly.  Changing a commonly-used curseword to demonstrate you are sensitive to the "Feminine Mystique" *gag* is a dick move.  You signal quite a few things when you do this:

1)  You are superior because you realize there's been a lack of female power in the universe--IT MUST BE TAKEN BACK!

2)  You are more sensitive than those ignorant fucks using "Goddammit!"--and you probably wear pink and eat quiche regularly.

3)  You are more paygun than anyone because you honor the Great Her(tm).  Fuck that puny god who gets reborn every year--the real power is in the Earf Muver.

4)  You are just simply more intelligent and well-read because you ACKNOWLEDGE all of this by cursing. 

5)  Fuck those Christians and their so-called monotheism.

...etc.

I don't have any problems with someone using political watchwords, really, it's just annoying.  All the above is assumption and presumption, of course, but it gets old when you see it on the interbutts.  To me, it's akin to spelling magic like "magick."

As for the cursing world, I grew up with a mom who wouldn't say "fart" and refused to let us use "butt."  (Now some of you can get a clue as to why I curse so often on the internet.)  So, and therefore, it took a LOOOOOONG time to get over the personal stigma against not only using "Oh My God" but also "godammit, godfuckingdammit" and "Jesus Christ"--which I've taken to saying even more than anything that starts with g-o-d.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Reverend Uncle BadTouch on June 10, 2008, 02:26:36 AM
I should also like to point out that, today at precisely 5:37 a.m. in Bea Arthur's home town of New York, New York, the time was precisely 5:37 a.m.

LIAR
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I've been monitoring this in myself since the discussion started. I have found that I quite often, actually, curse with terms referencing Eris or Goddess... So I had to think about how this slipped into my vocabulary without my notice.

My current tentative theory goes like this:

I never cursed as a child. My parents forbade it, as did the JW's. I don't recall ever saying Goddamnit, or fuck... I remember once when I got spanked for saying piss.

There was about a 14 month span of time between cutting myself off completely from JW's and finding Eris. Most of this time I spent with pagans or Scadians... then Eris showed up and all the etc involved there.

So, at least at this point, it doesn't appear to me that I changed cursing to involve goddess or Eris, but rather that I may have adapted it, because it was heavily influencing my BiP when I began cursing.

Curiouser and Curiouser.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Reverend Loveshade

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 10, 2008, 07:10:45 PM
I never cursed as a child. My parents forbade it, as did the JW's. I don't recall ever saying Goddamnit, or fuck... I remember once when I got spanked for saying piss.

Until fairly recently, "piss" was one of the words specifically considered obscene for public broadcast by the American FCC (Federal Communications Commission).  Comedian George Carlin got some mileage off this with es routine about the Seven Dirty Words. (Note genderless term "es"--makes this post fit the original thread, sort of).

Some of you may know that Principia Discordia refers to a verse in the King James Version of the Bible (the version most often quoted by American traditional Christian fundamentalists), that talks about he that pisseth against the wall.  The following even stronger verse also appears in the KJV:

2 Kings 18:27 "...Hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?"  There's an almost identical version of this in Isaiah 36:12.

I wonder.  Had someone quoted this verse on TV when the obscenity law still stood, and had someone else pointed out that the law had been violated, what would have happened?  What would be the reaction of the fundamentalist Christians who supported the law when it would mean declaring their own Bible obscene?

Reverend "Can you tell I was raised by a Bible-thumping Grandfather?" Uncle BadTouch