News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Time Travel Ramblings

Started by Daruko, May 27, 2008, 06:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

I still don't understand how or when BMW went nuts.  He seemed fine the last time I saw him posting on the board.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 28, 2008, 04:15:50 AM
Quote from: Felix on May 28, 2008, 03:53:03 AM
Wouldn't know one if I saw it.

I wish BMW hadn't gone nuts.  He would have liked this fread.

yah i know
LMNO is going to have to start picking up the slack
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on May 28, 2008, 04:34:55 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 28, 2008, 04:15:50 AM
Quote from: Felix on May 28, 2008, 03:53:03 AM
Wouldn't know one if I saw it.

I wish BMW hadn't gone nuts.  He would have liked this fread.

yah i know
LMNO is going to have to start picking up the slack

I know I can't be bothered.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on May 28, 2008, 04:33:09 AM
I still don't understand how or when BMW went nuts.  He seemed fine the last time I saw him posting on the board.

It was about the point where he started signing his posts under three different names, and referring to himself as a "multiple".

Coincidentally, it was about the time he started taking hormones to "help" with his gender issues.

I miss BMW.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Agreed.  I can't pretend to even begin to understand what was going on with him, but I certainly do miss his take on things, especially the science-type discussions. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

I miss BMW as well.

And time travel is easy, I do it every Saturday night. I get drunk and automatically am once again a 20 year old badass who can whip the world. 34 year time jump in a bottle.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 28, 2008, 04:40:11 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 28, 2008, 04:33:09 AM

It was about the point where he started signing his posts under three different names, and referring to himself as a "multiple".

Coincidentally, it was about the time he started taking hormones to "help" with his gender issues.

I miss BMW.

Fuck, I thought he was refering to himself and his boyfriend... I didnt realize both names were him.  That sucks.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Dido

QuoteThis has been illustrated not only in physical models of time, but I think there are a lot of ways it can be illustrated on more philosophical terms.  There are probably tons of zen koans about time which illustrate the illusory nature of "common sense causality".

Speaking as a physics student, would you please tell me what the hell you are talking about?  FYI Jumping to philosophy and zen koans (that you didn't specify either) is not considered reasoning.

Daruko

Quote from: Dido on May 28, 2008, 03:17:55 PM
QuoteThis has been illustrated not only in physical models of time, but I think there are a lot of ways it can be illustrated on more philosophical terms.  There are probably tons of zen koans about time which illustrate the illusory nature of "common sense causality".

Speaking as a physics student, would you please tell me what the hell you are talking about?  FYI Jumping to philosophy and zen koans (that you didn't specify either) is not considered reasoning.

Philosophical discourse and zen koans exist which refer to the non-linearity of time.  Not just physical models.  In other words, I think there are more ways to discuss or refer to that concept than using physical theories.    You disagree?  Wait for it, because when I get time here I'm going to cite relevant material, and attempt to narrow the focus on this "flow of time" concept.

This wasn't necessarily meant to be a physics discussion.  The central theme was time travel.  MWI resolves time travel paradoxes, so I went into that and a tiny bit of science surrounding time travel. 

Futhermore, I bitched about the lack of creativity in describing time travel in movies, books, etc., and complained about the overuse of one way logical coherence to sidestep so-called paradoxes, rather than researching and adapting from models that resolve those paradoxes and provide the potential for less cliche fiction.

Then I linked an article that provides an easy read if your interested in the effect of MWI implications on the potential for time travel.
If what I wrote is tl;dr or confusing, just read the article and comment on that.   What's your major btw?

tyrannosaurus vex

"Time is an illusion; lunch-time doubly so." -- Ford Prefect to Arthur Dent

Time travel would be cool, and I have no expertise on the matter.

As for Zen koans, they might illustrate the nonlinearity of time, but they don't explain it very well. In my time machine, I will not have a control dial with options like "flax" and "grasshopper." It will have numbers, probably in traditional order, and I will not be taking a monk with me to fix the technical hiccups.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Dido

You are repeating yourself. Would you please give an example for one zen koan and explain why it refers to non-linear time? I know that many things are supposed to do that. Dreamtime is a candidate I am personally rather fond of. Which is to say, I totally "buy" into non-linear time. But vaguely mentioning fields that happen to be en vogue at the moment (such as physics, philosophy and zen) without giving examples is a mode of discourse that tends to end nowhere. Choose one and develop a coherent line of thought please. Or state something as a personal belief and leave it that way (although then you could definitely choose philosophy;-).

I agree with what you said about time-travel in movies, it bores me to tears. And what do you mean with major? I am not aware of having any other major than physics, but I live in Germany and things here are probably different.

hooplala

I successfully used my bedroom closet as a time machine last night, and went five minutes into the future.

It took me five minutes to get there, but I'm still working on the details.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dido

I am quite adept at returning to any stage of infantilism that I feel like reliving. And there is no maths lecture that will not make time stand still.

tyrannosaurus vex

time travel is irrelevant. what you're really looking for is tourism/escapism. this is why somebody needs to build an industry based on Anton LaVey's "Total Communities" - where entire towns are constructed, for people to live in permanently, which recreate in every detail other worlds or times. We could build a medieval township where people must live as if it is the year 1153 AD, or a Classical Roman township, or whatever else. That way you get a taste of life in the past without the trouble of going there.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.