News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Time Travel Ramblings

Started by Daruko, May 27, 2008, 06:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Jean Francois Lyotard, the French anarchist and postmodern philosopher has proposed something similar, I believe.

hooplala

Quote from: vexati0n on May 28, 2008, 04:47:19 PM
time travel is irrelevant. what you're really looking for is tourism/escapism. this is why somebody needs to build an industry based on Anton LaVey's "Total Communities" - where entire towns are constructed, for people to live in permanently, which recreate in every detail other worlds or times. We could build a medieval township where people must live as if it is the year 1153 AD, or a Classical Roman township, or whatever else. That way you get a taste of life in the past without the trouble of going there.

It'll be hilarious living in one of those towns when the shit hits the fan.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

It would be hilarious living in Soviet town.

Because I wouldn't allow anyone to leave, just like a real Soviet country.  Even if you didn't know that would happen, or were born there and had no choice in the matter. 

PWND!

hooplala

:lulz:

Maybe they would allow me to create Salazore town?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Faust

Quote from: daruko on May 28, 2008, 03:34:02 PM
Quote from: Dido on May 28, 2008, 03:17:55 PM
QuoteThis has been illustrated not only in physical models of time, but I think there are a lot of ways it can be illustrated on more philosophical terms.  There are probably tons of zen koans about time which illustrate the illusory nature of "common sense causality".

Speaking as a physics student, would you please tell me what the hell you are talking about?  FYI Jumping to philosophy and zen koans (that you didn't specify either) is not considered reasoning.

Philosophical discourse and zen koans exist which refer to the non-linearity of time.

oh dear
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

most concepts of non linear time come back to  different rates of time passing in two places, the topic is pretty much a dead end, the only feasible application of time travel would be use the accelerated flow of time due to speed.

The applications of this to the fishing industry would be enormous. If you could accelerate freshly caught fish to the speed of light its amount of time in transit would seem far less then the rest of the world, and would not spoil as quickly (ignoring the fact that it would arrive at its target destination pretty much instantaneously because of its speed).

So to summarize, I feel all fish should be fired around the world in rockets.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Faust on May 29, 2008, 12:08:02 AM
most concepts of non linear time come back to  different rates of time passing in two places, the topic is pretty much a dead end, the only feasible application of time travel would be use the accelerated flow of time due to speed.

The applications of this to the fishing industry would be enormous. If you could accelerate freshly caught fish to the speed of light its amount of time in transit would seem far less then the rest of the world, and would not spoil as quickly (ignoring the fact that it would arrive at its target destination pretty much instantaneously because of its speed).

So to summarize, I feel all fish should be fired around the world in rockets.

you sir are a true scientist
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

tyrannosaurus vex

theoretical situation:

A rocket ship takes off from Earth and travels to Neptune at 5x the speed of light.

so.. if you have a telescope on earth looking at Neptune, you could see the rocket ship arrive there before it actually takes off from Earth. Right?

Then, upon arriving at Neptune, the rocket ship immediately speeds back to Earth at 5x the speed of light, returning to the launch site at some point before the launch, the Cosmonauts jump out of the hatch and mow their future/past selves down in a red-hot hail of burning Soviet rage, strap their dead corpses onto the outside of the rocket ship, and then blast off again and crash into the fucking White House, killing President Obama and all 213 of his white servants.

The question is, who is driving rocket ship?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Daruko

time travel is irrelevant. what you're really looking for is tourism/escapism. this is why somebody needs to build an industry based on Anton LaVey's "Total Communities" - where entire towns are constructed, for people to live in permanently, which recreate in every detail other worlds or times. We could build a medieval township where people must live as if it is the year 1153 AD, or a Classical Roman township, or whatever else. That way you get a taste of life in the past without the trouble of going there.

I'd rather just wait a few years for full immersion virtual reality.

Dido

Quote from: daruko on May 29, 2008, 06:08:28 AM

I'd rather just wait a few years for full immersion virtual reality.

That is obvious.

hooplala

Quote from: vexati0n on May 29, 2008, 04:57:21 AM
theoretical situation:

A rocket ship takes off from Earth and travels to Neptune at 5x the speed of light.

so.. if you have a telescope on earth looking at Neptune, you could see the rocket ship arrive there before it actually takes off from Earth. Right?

Then, upon arriving at Neptune, the rocket ship immediately speeds back to Earth at 5x the speed of light, returning to the launch site at some point before the launch, the Cosmonauts jump out of the hatch and mow their future/past selves down in a red-hot hail of burning Soviet rage, strap their dead corpses onto the outside of the rocket ship, and then blast off again and crash into the fucking White House, killing President Obama and all 213 of his white servants.

The question is, who is driving rocket ship?

HIMEOBS

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mangrove

Isn't this LARP?
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

tyrannosaurus vex

no. LARPing is for valedictorians. this is for the People.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: daruko on May 28, 2008, 03:34:02 PM
Quote from: Dido on May 28, 2008, 03:17:55 PM
QuoteThis has been illustrated not only in physical models of time, but I think there are a lot of ways it can be illustrated on more philosophical terms.  There are probably tons of zen koans about time which illustrate the illusory nature of "common sense causality".

Speaking as a physics student, would you please tell me what the hell you are talking about?  FYI Jumping to philosophy and zen koans (that you didn't specify either) is not considered reasoning.

Philosophical discourse and zen koans exist which refer to the non-linearity of time.  Not just physical models.  In other words, I think there are more ways to discuss or refer to that concept than using physical theories.    You disagree?  Wait for it, because when I get time here I'm going to cite relevant material, and attempt to narrow the focus on this "flow of time" concept.

This wasn't necessarily meant to be a physics discussion.  The central theme was time travel.  MWI resolves time travel paradoxes, so I went into that and a tiny bit of science surrounding time travel. 

Futhermore, I bitched about the lack of creativity in describing time travel in movies, books, etc., and complained about the overuse of one way logical coherence to sidestep so-called paradoxes, rather than researching and adapting from models that resolve those paradoxes and provide the potential for less cliche fiction.

Then I linked an article that provides an easy read if your interested in the effect of MWI implications on the potential for time travel.
If what I wrote is tl;dr or confusing, just read the article and comment on that.   What's your major btw?

The Map is not the territory.

A Zen Koan or philosophical argument, I think are discussing Map level stuffs... how our perception may cause us to process time linearly, irrespective of what Time is actually doing.

In my opinion, it may be possible to travel through time, some experiments certainly seem to indicate that electrons may be sent "back in time" at least in a quantum sense... but that doesn't necessarily mean that a human could travel through time. Heck, what scientists have called "time travel" in the quantum field, may simply be a fundamental misunderstanding of what the heck is going on, or an artifact of our own perception (if human brains are hardwired to process data linearly, then when non-linear stuff happens... we might process it as happening in the past/future).

There certainly are some interesting models of Reality which would permit 'time travel' in some sense. But, ONLY if those models are anything more than a thought experiment by a crazy person, for example: http://www.specularium.org/index.php

Personally, I think that the question of Time Travel may actually be due to a fundamental misunderstanding of what time is. Maybe there is no such thing as Time, except as a game of Order for humans... or at least for our brains. Maybe there is only ever NOW and we simply remember old NOW as the past and Not Quite Yet NOW as the future. We presume that reality works the way we see it... but I dunno how much stock we should really put into that concept, beyond the occasional barstool, of course...

:barstool:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson