News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Low Dollah Dinnah

Started by Darth Cupcake, May 30, 2008, 06:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Hoopla on June 07, 2008, 04:20:48 AM
Buy box of Kraft Dinner + boiled water

... something to do with milk.  And maybe butter?

Makes a delicious Foie Gras which serves nine people, for about 79¢.

if you add some green peas and some canned ham (similar to tuna, but ham)
this will make people wretch at the site of it but when they taste it...

well, they might be able to hold it down.

this was one of my "damn i'm poor" moments
mac n cheese with ham and peas.
god it sucked. good thing i have a strong stomach.
oh hell, just make the box mac and throw bacon in it. instant success.

Roo

mac & cheese with hotdogs is also yummy.

TBH, I've found that the less pre-prepared food I buy (and less snacks like chips and crackers), the lower my grocery bill.

Breakfast food, in general tends to be cheaper as well...no reason you can't have egg sammiches, french toast, waffles, pancakes, etc. for dinner.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like mac and cheese with tuna fish. Yes, I actually LIKE it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Pasta + sauce / Rice + Sauce and kielbasa = Easy tasty.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Open: 1 can of Campbell's Cream of Whatever soup
Pour over: The cheapest pork chops you can find
Bake at: 350 for 1 hour.
Serve on: White rice

I might have to start sharing some traditional Mormon recipes.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Nigel on June 08, 2008, 02:54:47 AM

I might have to start sharing some traditional Mormon recipes.  :lol:

:barf:
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, now you're asking for it! OK, I will start with Funeral Potatoes:

1 can Campbells Cream of Whatever soup
1 lb shredded cheese (in Mormonland, "cheese" ALWAYS means cheddar. Other types will be individually specified if necessary)
1 8-oz container of sour cream
1 bunch of green onions
1 16-oz bag of shredded hash brown potatoes
1 tube of Ritz crackers, or if you're feeling FANCY you can use Pringles.

Chop the onions. Dump everything but the crackers into a bowl and mix well. Transfer into a casserole dish, crush the crackers on top, and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Bring to your favorite funerals, bible study meetings, or family reunions! A real crowd-pleaser!

Caution: for some reason this recipe WILL NOT WORK if you try substituting fresh, grated potatoes. Maybe it would be OK if they were chopped rather than grated, but I don't want to try it after what happened last time.

EDIT: looking at the ingredients list I am realizing that this recipe is not fucking cheap for the amount of food, not to even consider the amount of nutrition and what you'll have to pay for cholesterol-lowering meds, so if I post any more DELICIOUS Mormon recipes it will have to be in a different thread. I know you're all so disappointed!

Jenne

One handy tip for this thread--onion soup mix (Lipton's OR cheap no-name brand) is excellent for anything.  Mix wit plain yogurt or sour cream for a dip for chips or veggies, use it as a marinade for any meat.  Use as a soup starter, use with oil on potatoes and bake for a fabu side dish, use alone for an actual clear broth soup.  Either way, the shit is glorious in a pinch.

Another tip--salad dressing works in a pinch for marinade as well.  I use it often when I bbq meat.

hooplala

Quote from: Nigel on June 08, 2008, 04:55:54 AM

1 lb shredded cheese (in Mormonland, "cheese" ALWAYS means cheddar. Other types will be individually specified if necessary)
1 bunch of green onions

Chop the onions. Dump everything but the crackers into a bowl and mix well. Transfer into a casserole dish, crush the crackers on top, and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Bring to your favorite funerals, bible study meetings, or family reunions! A real crowd-pleaser!

Caution: for some reason this recipe WILL NOT WORK if you try substituting fresh, grated potatoes. Maybe it would be OK if they were chopped rather than grated, but I don't want to try it after what happened last time.

EDIT: looking at the ingredients list I am realizing that this recipe is not fucking cheap for the amount of food, not to even consider the amount of nutrition and what you'll have to pay for cholesterol-lowering meds, so if I post any more DELICIOUS Mormon recipes it will have to be in a different thread. I know you're all so disappointed!

The fact that Loretta Lynn has this recipe in her cookbook lends evidence to it not being strictly a Mormon recipe.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on June 10, 2008, 03:24:40 AM
Quote from: Nigel on June 08, 2008, 04:55:54 AM

1 bunch of green onions

The fact that Loretta Lynn has this recipe in her cookbook lends evidence to it not being strictly a Mormon recipe.

Really? Is it called "Funeral Potatoes"? That is hilarious!

I doubt that any Mormon recipe is strictly Mormon, that would be silly! It's more a collection of recipes ubiquitous to Mormonland; certain things that you see over and over at Mormon family events. In the case of Funeral Potatoes, they're called that because someone ALWAYS brings them to a funeral. Also popular for showers and reunions!

Jenne

If it has jello and fruit, it's Mormon.

Or so I've heard.

BADGE OF HONOR

There's "scones", you might call those uniquely mormon.  Of course, those are just navajo fry bread with a stupid name.  I tried.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Richter

I knew several LDS families in my home town.  They frequently hauled dishes of those potatoes around to whoever in the church needed to be spotted a meal due to illness, death, etc. :lulz:

Edit: and a least one pan of it seems to appear at every office potluck
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Dysfunctional Cunt

There is no official name for this but it's good and the kids love it.

2 smoked sausages or kielbasa
1 can black beans
2 cups rice
1 large jar salsa - your choice of heat
cheese

Slice sausage and quick fry.  Stir into baking pan with 3 1/2 cups boiling water, rice and drained beans.  Stir in salsa.  Cover with cheese of your choice.  I have used sliced, shredded and even velveeta which wasn't half bad.

Bake at 350 covered until rice is cooked, approx 30-45 minutes.  Uncover for last 10 so cheese will get all bubbly and lightly browned.

Cheap, easy and leftovers make great wraps.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on June 10, 2008, 01:47:14 PM
I knew several LDS families in my home town.  They frequently hauled dishes of those potatoes around to whoever in the church needed to be spotted a meal due to illness, death, etc. :lulz:

Edit: and a least one pan of it seems to appear at every office potluck

Srsly. Can't get away from them.

But they're fucking delicious, if insanely, grotesquely fattening.