News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

The Higher Cause meme

Started by Verbal Mike, June 04, 2008, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Felix on June 06, 2008, 10:41:36 PM
Quote from: Nigel on June 06, 2008, 09:40:37 AM
Fuck a higher cause. I just like to laugh.

For the lulz was inevitably going to be mentioned, wasn't it? :)

Yes, because some variation on it is the motivator for a fair number of people, and I don't think there's any reason to be ashamed of it any more than there's a reason to be ashamed to say that I sit in the sun because I enjoy it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Ooooooh! sun! i know what i'm doing tomorrow.

shame is gay
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Verbal Mike

Yes, "for the lulz" is kinda what I meant with indulging. It's one variety.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

bones

Guilt can be quite crippling, but it has its necessity. Although I'm much more inclined to agree that most of the world's problems are caused by powerful people thinking they can fix the world's problems. The search for equality tends towards setting up our system to cater most the lowest common denominator. Teacher spends all his time tryna get timmy and sally to add, while the potential geniuses in the class go over stuff they understood five years ago.

If we let everyone do what they want guilt-free, then the Tesla's, Einstein's, Da Vinci's of the world are most definitely still going to do amazing things. Stop telling young GWB's that they could grow up to be president, even if it IS true, it's not going to be a pretty sight.

See if there's a point to what i'm saying here, i'm not sure there is.. Basically, I used to think I had do do something amazing with my life, and it would be a guilt-ridden waste of talent if i didn't, now i just think i've got to enjoy every second of my life, and it will be a crying shame to spend this holy gift of life unhappy. It's definitely a crying shame if any of you (or anyone else for that matter) is unhappy, contributing to the misery of the world, but I can't stop you, no one can make you happy more than temporarily.

The earth is flat. I think most assumptions people have are backwards: you think you would be happier if you were doing more for the world or for others, I like to think that you would be doing more for the world and for others if you were happy. Be happy, guilt-free. Smile and the world smiles with you. (sometimes i do want to punch myself in the face)
filmmusic

Verbal Mike

:mittens:
I can see the beginning of a wonderful friendship here, mister bones.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: bones on June 11, 2008, 09:41:19 AM
Guilt can be quite crippling, but it has its necessity. Although I'm much more inclined to agree that most of the world's problems are caused by powerful people thinking they can fix the world's problems. The search for equality tends towards setting up our system to cater most the lowest common denominator. Teacher spends all his time tryna get timmy and sally to add, while the potential geniuses in the class go over stuff they understood five years ago.

If we let everyone do what they want guilt-free, then the Tesla's, Einstein's, Da Vinci's of the world are most definitely still going to do amazing things. Stop telling young GWB's that they could grow up to be president, even if it IS true, it's not going to be a pretty sight.

See if there's a point to what i'm saying here, i'm not sure there is.. Basically, I used to think I had do do something amazing with my life, and it would be a guilt-ridden waste of talent if i didn't, now i just think i've got to enjoy every second of my life, and it will be a crying shame to spend this holy gift of life unhappy. It's definitely a crying shame if any of you (or anyone else for that matter) is unhappy, contributing to the misery of the world, but I can't stop you, no one can make you happy more than temporarily.

The earth is flat. I think most assumptions people have are backwards: you think you would be happier if you were doing more for the world or for others, I like to think that you would be doing more for the world and for others if you were happy. Be happy, guilt-free. Smile and the world smiles with you. (sometimes i do want to punch myself in the face)

Yay Bones! I like this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

bones

:D

whoops, did i post something that didn't make you want to injure my face?

thanks guys. I look forward to yuor tasty friend chips

filmmusic

Golden Applesauce

Now I will be forever riddled with guilt for not being as happy as I could be.

CURSE YOU!  :argh!:
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Daruko

I think it's additionally helpful to heed the advice of the mynah birds.

"ATTENTION."

Manta Obscura

BUMP, for the profundity of the post.

This is an amazing outlook, bones.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

bones

filmmusic

Kai

The bolded part is a total meme bomb
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Kai on November 11, 2008, 06:58:43 PM

The bolded part is a total meme bomb

Oh snap! How did I miss that?