News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Frequently asked questions..

Started by Purpleris Niaiseris, June 08, 2008, 11:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

It wouldn't be the first time. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

HaggisFY

Thank you all very much. I'll muse on that.

LMNO

Quote from: HaggisFY on June 08, 2010, 02:26:23 PM
Since this topic was originally for troll questions.. First of all, excuse my lack of knowledge. I first came in contact with discordia the day before yesterday.

1. Why is (the relation between) chaos + order important?
2. What does discodianism say about the existentialistic questions? How and by who/what was the earth created? What are there after death?
3. How many discordians are there?
4. Who/ What created chaos, or has it always existsted?
5. What do discordians consider be chaos in their every day life?
How do discodianism infect your daily life?
6. Do you believe in discordianim like one can believe in christianity? Are you dead certain about Eris having the role as the christian's god?
7. Why do you relate to Eris?

If you only answer one question or answer them by linking to another page it would be quite helpful as well.

1.  What everyone else said.  However, if you meant to say Disorder instead of Chaos, then the relationship is important because of the declaration: "The imposition of order = the escalation of disorder."  
2a. Science.
2b. Science.
2c. Meaningless question.
3. All of them.
4. Science.
5a. Since chaos is the combination of Order and Disorder, everything in life is Chaos.
5b. Metacognition.
6a. Personally, no.  But it's been known to happen.
6b. You may need to rephrase this; your syntax is for shit.
7. Because that heavenly bitch has me on speed dial.

AFK

Since this topic was originally for troll questions.. First of all, excuse my lack of knowledge. I first came in contact with discordia the day before yesterday.

Order, along with its sibling/spouse/figure skating partner Disorder is a part of Chaos.  So, in that sense, in some sense, it is important.  Maybe.  

Quote2. What does discodianism say about the existentialistic questions?

You have to be a Level 3 user for that information.

QuoteHow and by who/what was the earth created?

Colonel Mustard, in the Conservatory, with the candle-stick.

QuoteWhat are there after death?

If we're lucky, nothing.  If we're unlucky, Rod Stewart.  

Quote3. How many discordians are there?

More than we know, less than we need.  

Quote4. Who/ What created chaos, or has it always existsted?

Nothing created it.  

Quote5. What do discordians consider be chaos in their every day life?

Every day life.  

QuoteHow do discodianism infect your daily life?

Before I knew about discordianism, I thought this was all just a sick joke.
After, I realized I was right.  

Quote6. Do you believe in discordianim like one can believe in christianity?

Not really.  It's more of a GPS for me than a strict, deified religion.

QuoteAre you dead certain about Eris having the role as the christian's god?

Nah, she knows better than to take THAT gig.  The pay is poor and the benefits lacking.  

Quote7. Why do you relate to Eris?

Because if I don't she'll eat my socks.  

QuoteIf you only answer one question or answer them by linking to another page it would be quite helpful as well.

Okay.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

2. What does discodianism say about the existentialistic questions? How and by who/what was the earth created? What are there after death?
6. Do you believe in discordianim like one can believe in christianity? Are you dead certain about Eris having the role as the christian's god?

If you only answer one question or answer them by linking to another page it would be quite helpful as well.

answers based on top of what ECH said with a few additions

2. some discordians have their own ideas about [creation/existential questions], but they generally aren't based on discordianism, but on a more or less compatible belief system of their own.

3. there is a theory that there are only 23 real people in this world, the rest are robots. however, it is nearly impossible to figure out which you are.

4. a lot of creation myths either start out with chaos, or with nothingness from which chaos sprang forth. after that, this chaos got separated in order and disorder by all different sorts of processes (depending on the myth).
but as ECH said in 2, a lot of us rather concern ourselves with what is happening in real life.

5. stick around and/or check the Operation:Mindfuck subforum. it's easier for you to see for yourself than for us to explain.

6a. no we don't.
6b. not at all, YHVH-1 is an entirely different entity, for those that do not think the entire question is bullshit.

7. you have to elaborate on that. I don't understand what you're trying to ask. she is the ancient greek goddess of Discord and Strife, which suits our purposes to have her as a symbol.

BTW, You might also want to check the Think For Yourself, Schmuck! subforum, which deals with discussions about topics like you ask in 1,2,4 and 7.

Also, a lot of Discordians probably have their own ideas about what I just said. With the "Think For Yourself, Schmuck" guideline, and all.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cainad (dec.)

ITT, proof that when posed sincere questions by n00bs, PD.commies will give sincere answers (even if that sincerity includes some frivolity as a side dish). Also, proof that everyone has their own thing to say.

LET THE RECORD STAND

PopeTom

They are two sides to the same coin, you can't have one without the other.  In fact too much of one will cause the creation of the other.

The universe makes more sense if you accept that it was created by a crazy Greek woman.

As for death, if you are good you go to Limbo Peak.
If you are bad you go to The Region of Thud.

If you are a Greyface you can switch the words 'good' and 'bad' in those two statements.

Chaos has always existed.  The relation of order/chaos are similar to heat/cold or light/dark.

Every day life is chaos.  You put an order filter over it based in parts on your natural brain state modified by your up bringing.

Discordianism affects my day to day life by allowing be to re-filter the chaos of my life so that more often than not I end up with a desirable result.

No, generally Discordians are somewhat less likely to have sticks up their asses.  Unless of course they want them there.

Because crazy women are hotter then not crazy women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLg2JbELs9o
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

PopeTom

-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Nephew Twiddleton

Ok, I'll give it a go from my perspective:

As stated previously, everything is Chaos. It's the interplay between order and disorder which allows for creativity that emanates from Chaos. Both Order and Disorder are necessary. If there was no Order, Discordians would never get anything done.

Irrelevant. As for my personal beliefs, reincarnation. This does not hold true with all Discordians. If anything, this probably puts me in the minority here.

Everyone is a Discordian. Most just don't realize it yet. Most never will.

Your question cannot be answered due to the faulty assumption that Chaos was created. Everything comes from Chaos.

Chaos is everywhere at all times. Since Chaos is potential, harness it to your benefit.

I'm not sure "infect" is the word you're looking for. It's just there. See previous answer.

No, Discordianism is a philosophical adjunct to my religious beliefs. My religion is not Discordianism. It's kinda like how you can be a Taoist, Confucian and a Buddhist all at once.

She's the only honest goddess in that pantheon.  :lulz:

No links. Delve into it on your own. Read Principia Discordia on this site and make of it what you will. Google Discordianism and Erisian for other perspectives. Most importantly, Think for yourself, Schmuck!

Edit for Q #2:
I believe what science tells us about the origin of the Universe. My religious and theological perspectives are irrelevant here. I do not subscribe to creation myths.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Adios

The universe makes more sense if you accept that it was created by a crazy Greek woman.

Yoinked.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Order and Disorder are two ways of 'seeing' something. If you collect 15 random things in your house and then try to order them into two groups... there will likely be many, many possibilities... because the "order" is what you're imposing on 15 random things. For example you might split them into 'red' and 'not red' or 'plastic' and 'not plastic' or 'mine' and 'something I swiped from my roomate'.... The 'order' or 'disorder' that we see is likely more important in learning about our perception, than anything else.

It doesn't. Some Discordians do, but many Discordians are not worried about Who or What made this mess.... Many of us are more concerned about enjoying the mess.

According to the Joshua Norton Cabal, every Man, Woman and Child is a Pope of the Discordian Movement... but then, they also named their cabal after a guy that called himself the Emperor of the United States, so who knows if they were right, or just crazy.

We did. Well, the "Perceiver' did... there is no Chaos, except when we look at information/data/stuff and say "It is Disordered!" or (alternatively) "It Is Ordered!" Order and Disorder are perceptions based on assumptions.

It tends to make me question my perceptions and encourages me to screw with other people's perceptions...

Eris is real in some sense, false in some sense and meaningless in some sense... just like the Christian God.  :lulz:

Because she's a lot more fun at parties.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

the last yatto

Quote from: Hoopla on June 08, 2010, 02:53:43 PM
It wouldn't be the first time.  

its a shame that usually only the dumb ones stick around
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Adios

This is why I hate you all. This was a perfectly good bitch thread and you have all turned it into something useful.

Bastards.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 08, 2010, 08:19:20 PM

According to the Joshua Norton Cabal, every Man, Woman and Child is a Pope of the Discordian Movement... but then, they also named their cabal after a guy that called himself the Emperor of the United States, so who knows if they were right, or just crazy.

Don't forget, he was also the Protector of Mexico!
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

the last yatto

hawk, are you saying HaggisFY is a time traveler?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit